PDA

View Full Version : Would you/do you let your toddler go pee outdoors in public places?

citymama
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
My 2 yr old DD doesn't want to pee in her potty when we're out at the playground - and sometimes playgrounds don't have bathrooms attached. On two occasions, in emergencies, I've let her pee on the grass in the dog park area or away from where the kids are playing. I figure the dog park is fair game, but what about the grass on the playground (away from where kids play, bordering the playground)? Am I allowing a bad precedent?

How would you feel as a parent who witnessed another kid peeing near a playground? I don't want to be blacklisted as an un-civic mom, but also want to help my potty-training toddler!

I would *never* let her go poop - now that is truly gross.

FYI - we go hiking and camping often, which is why DD is so comfortable peeing in the outdoors! ;)

KBecks
06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
This topic title gave me a good laugh, thanks! We have not yet been in this type of situation, so I don't know for sure. I think I would be OK with it as long as there was a very good amount of privacy for my child.

With a young child who is 2, 3, or 4, I would not be concerned over public peeing. But I think finding a private / discreet spot is important. I don't really want to see, but if I do it's no biggie. With a school age or older child I think it's less OK.

KBecks
06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
You may want to get in the habit of at least asking her if she need to go before you leave the house. Or find a good playground with a bathroom. Alek seems to love the public bathrooms at the playground we frequent.

citymama
06-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for indulging my whimsical poll!

I wonder if people think it's less acceptable for a girl to do - I've seen many older threads where people have said "I have a boy, so that makes it easy to go pretty much anywhere there is a tree."

FWIW, my personal call is that it is OK in a crisis, if done somewhere away from where kids play, but not something to be encouraged on a regular basis. It sends the message that it's OK to just pull down your pants and pee wherever, which is really not a good idea! I will continue to ask before we leave (believe me, I do this every time!), sticking to playgrounds with bathrooms attached to the extent possible, and carrying our portable potty and encouraging DD to use that.

kijip
06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
For us the question is WOULD OUR SON do it? The answer is a resounding no. When we were camping, I needed him to pee near a tree. Heck no, not having it. The boy needs a toilet. He will just dance and dance around and hold it forever rather than go outside.

KrisM
06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
We've not run into that yet and DS has been PT'd for 1.5 years. He can hold it forever though, it seems.

But, if it was something that was coming up often, I'd get a portable potty for the car and use that instead of outside.

gatorsmom
06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I let ours pee in our yard all the time. However, our yard is very wooded and I make sure he does it in a spot that is not visible from the street.

I don't have a problem with children peeing in a public place. I'd be more concerned about the perverts out there and giving them an eyefull. I think discretion is very important. jmho

hillview
06-18-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd take her somewhere away from the playground and behind a bush or tree if at all possible. If it was an emergency then you do what you have to do.

Last fall, a grandma let her granddaughter who looked to be about 5 or 6 pee in the playground. I was annoyed as there is a wooded area about 100 feet from the playground and the girl didn't seem about to wet her pants. Now that my DS is about to potty train, I am more sympathetic. :)
/hillary

asha
06-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I am with Katie on this. We were once driving in San Francisco and DS (close to 4 at the time) had to pee. This was while we were going to the golden gate bridge. We were passing through golden gate park. There was absolutely no restroom close by and he really had to go.

I parked, got him down and asked him to pee on a tree. He wouldnt. I got back in the car, drove a mile and of all places, went in to a Sherwin Williams paint store. The owner let us use the restroom. It was really dirty, but DS did not mind. I will forever be thankful to that paint store owner.

I want DH to teach him to do it, but DH is pretty much the same as DS. So, no go there.

~Asha

citymama
06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Hah! My DD thinks peeing in the woods is the greatest thing!

kboyle
06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
i have boys, but yeah, i let them pee in public...though not openly. i'll normally just open my car door and have him pee and i'll be blocking him so you can't see anything...we've actually done it 4 times this week already, lol.

as for seeing other kids pee i don't think i'd care as long as it was away from where others would be playing.

neeleymartin
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
i voted ewww! that's gross. but not because i thinks it's gross. seems to be very inappropriate to me. in an emergency, absolutely. however, using the world as your potty is just not appropriate. can't remember the last time i peed outdoors!?!

n

HIU8
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
We have a "hurry up cup" that we keep in the car for these instances. DS has used it several times while we are out and cannot get to a bathroom.