PDA

View Full Version : Splitting a Costco membership?

SnuggleBuggles
06-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Is that something you can officially do? If not, how does it work? I have gone with a friend to see what Costco offers and, to be honest, I wasn't wowwed by the choices. But, it would be nice to have the membership on occasions, like shopping before a party. My mom feels the same way so it seems like we should just go in together and get one membership (and split the cost- it's about $100, right?). Any advice or thoughts? I know there are a lot of Costco shoppers on here. :)

Beth

DrSally
06-16-2008, 11:03 PM
It's $50. I haven't had anyone check my ID, but that would be the danger b/c they don't officially allow it. Also, I think I only got one card (or I can't find the other one).

KrystalS
06-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Can't you have family memberships? I think thats how Sams does it, cause my mom has a membership and they let her get me a card. We just said that I lived with her. I think you just have to pay a little extra to add someone to your account, but its cheaper that having your own.

Neatfreak
06-17-2008, 12:10 AM
My membership has expired, but DH and I each used to have our own Costco cards, and it was the same membership. For a few years, my SIL and my MIL (same last name) each had a card on the same membership. I would be a little sad if they don't allow at least two family members to each have a card.

new_mommy25
06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes, you can do it. You get two cards per membership. The only thing is your photo is on the card and others can't use it. So your DH wouldn't be able to purchase anything there if you aren't present.

ThreeofUs
06-17-2008, 01:13 AM
I'd say to get a basic membership and split it. If both of you go, you can each have your photo on your own card - but you'll have to fudge how close your living situation is, as I think they only allow one address.

But, you know, I've been a Costco member since I was around 20 - and that's a long, long time now! I've moved around a bit, always shopping at Costcos, and I've only ever had them check my photo once.

urquie
06-17-2008, 02:12 AM
my mom and i share a membership and we've never had any problems (different last names and 300 miles apart). it's listed under her address, so she gets all the coupons sent to her, as well as the costco connection magazine. i just ask for them at the membership counter :)

HannaAddict
06-17-2008, 02:39 AM
They glance at cards when you come in the store. I actually do not have my photo on my card. The real way they check is when you check out, the form of payment must match the card holder. Unless you pay in cash - not debit - cash, they will find out. Membership is $45 or $50 and you get two cards for members of family at same address for basic membership.

HTH.

hillview
06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
They are pretty lax about the whole thing I think. I have gone with my mom and mom purchased things and paid with her debit card and no questions asked (different last names etc). I split one with my sister (different address) at one point and no issues.
Enjoy
/hillary

sidmand
06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
My Dad and I split one. I never even knew you weren't supposed to (he's in NJ and I'm in MA). I've used a credit card and they just want to check that the name on the credit card matches the name on the card (which it does, I have my own card with photo).

Someone told me if my husband ever wanted to use the card though, to just go to the self-checkout. I never even thought of that, but that works too!

amycoh
06-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I have never seen a self checkout at a costco - but it would certainly work at BJs. My hubby always gets lectured whenever he uses my card at Cotco without me - and last time they threatened to clip the card ;-(

egoldber
06-17-2008, 09:17 AM
My Costco used to have self checkouts. But they converted them back to regular checkouts after about a year.

SnuggleBuggles
06-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Thank you for all the information! Sounds like things cary depending on location so I'll ask my friend for a few more specifics about our store. :)

Beth

Jen841
06-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I tried to sign up Mom and I (IL vs PA) and they refused us at two stores to share a membership. They said we would need to prove that we live in the same household.

Sam's is much more relaxed, we share a membership there.

BJ's is more relaxed! We get 1 card via DH's work. I do the shopping without him present and no one has ever questioned it. I even do returns etc.

cheme
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM
One of you could get the membership and buy gift cards for the other. If you have a costco gift card, you check in at the membership desk when you get there and they give you a one-day pass. There is no surcharge or anything, just the pain of waiting in the line each time... Its okay if you only go a few times a year, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly. Also, if your bill comes to a higher amount than what you have in gift cards, they let you pay the balance in cash or with a debit card (not a credit card though).

katydid1971
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
my mom and i share a membership and we've never had any problems (different last names and 300 miles apart). it's listed under her address, so she gets all the coupons sent to her, as well as the costco connection magazine. i just ask for them at the membership counter :)
Same here except its MIL and we're 600 miles apart. My brother and mom also share a membership and they are 450 miles apart. What you do is have one person go in and sign up, then they bring int he second person and "Add them to their account." Don't make a big deal that you don't live together and they won't care. Last names don't matter because you don't have to be related to share an account, an ex roommate and I shared an account for years.

DrSally
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
They glance at cards when you come in the store. I actually do not have my photo on my card. The real way they check is when you check out, the form of payment must match the card holder. Unless you pay in cash - not debit - cash, they will find out. Membership is $45 or $50 and you get two cards for members of family at same address for basic membership.

HTH.

Yes, you said it better than I did. I thought I remembered that you have to be at the same address.

bubbaray
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I think it might depend on your local store. DH and I have one membership that I pay for. My card has my photo on it, his does not (unless he's actually listened to me and gotten it done, but its been that way for years). I have used my card, but paid with his debit cards HUNDREDS of times. I don't think my local store cares about the form of payment as long as the card holder and the person paying are the same ones.

Also, our Costco membership is $50 per year or thereabouts. Not $100. The Executive membership is $100, but we just have the regular Gold Star membership (the basic non-corporate/business one).

wellyes
06-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I know that at BJ's, if you're not a member, you can shop there anyway and just pay 15% above the listed price.

I go so infrequently that paying the extra 15% would be cheaper than ponying up the membership fee.

vludmilla
06-17-2008, 07:49 PM

HTH.
They don't even check this at my Costco. I share a membership with my father who lives in Connecticut. I live in New York. My husband pays with his credit card (he is not a member and has a completely different name b/c my Costco card uses my "maiden" name) and they have never, in many years ever questioned it.

kijip
06-17-2008, 07:52 PM

HTH.

I tag along with my brother all the time and use my own debit card to check out. There have been times I was the only one making a purchase and it has never, ever been an issue. I imagine different stores and cashiers enforce the policies differently.

HannaAddict
06-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Does anyone feel guilty for gaming the system and cheating? I think the rules should be enforced uniformly, not to be uptight. But since they do provide a living wage and health insurance to their employees, is it right to try to get the benefits without paying the membership fee. I don't feel like subsidizing everyone else. Our 4th Ave. store is pretty on the ball about checking memberships at the door and when payment is made. I don't feel like paying if others arent paying their share! And Katie (kijip) tell me it isn't so - that you cheat at Costco and don't pay for the membership despite all your praise of their corporate policies. My rose colored glasses are fogging up!! I don't want to subsidize people who don't pay, especially when they can afford to.

knaidel
06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Does anyone feel guilty for gaming the system and cheating? I think the rules should be enforced uniformly, not to be uptight. But since they do provide a living wage and health insurance to their employees, is it right to try to get the benefits without paying the membership fee. I don't feel like subsidizing everyone else. Our 4th Ave. store is pretty on the ball about checking memberships at the door and when payment is made. I don't feel like paying if others arent paying their share! And Katie (kijip) tell me it isn't so - that you cheat at Costco and don't pay for the membership despite all your praise of their corporate policies. My rose colored glasses are fogging up!! I don't want to subsidize people who don't pay, especially when they can afford to.

Thank you for posting this. I was reading this thread, and I didn't want to be an uptight party pooper by saying this. I feel the same way--- I don't want my membership fee to subzidize others. I think that trying to share a membership, when the rules about it are clearly stated, is dishonest. I think its kind of lame to be dishonest, especially over $25. If the rules were vague, well, then that might be one thing. But the rules are pretty clear. No one forces you to shop at Costco. How is this any different from fudging your kids age at the entrance to the zoo to get them in for a lower price?

In light of the corporate policies of Costco, its known that they really treat their employees well. They're have been lots of discussions about this, even on this board-- how people prefer to spend a bit more at a store where the corporate policies are ones they can support. When everyone buys a membership, you're sending a message to the corporation, just as your sending a message when you don't shop at Walmart.

But the corporate ethics is an "added bonus" to paying the full membership fee.

Let the flames begin....but I am going to be offline most of the day! :)

Mamma2004
06-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Thank you for posting this. I was reading this thread, and I didn't want to be an uptight party pooper by saying this. I feel the same way--- I don't want my membership fee to subzidize others. I think that trying to share a membership, when the rules about it are clearly stated, is dishonest. I think its kind of lame to be dishonest, especially over $25. If the rules were vague, well, then that might be one thing. But the rules are pretty clear. No one forces you to shop at Costco. How is this any different from fudging your kids age at the entrance to the zoo to get them in for a lower price?

In light of the corporate policies of Costco, its known that they really treat their employees well. They're have been lots of discussions about this, even on this board-- how people prefer to spend a bit more at a store where the corporate policies are ones they can support. When everyone buys a membership, you're sending a message to the corporation, just as your sending a message when you don't shop at Walmart.

But the corporate ethics is an "added bonus" to paying the full membership fee.

Let the flames begin....but I am going to be offline most of the day! :)

:yeahthat: I fully agree.

luv2bmommy
06-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I also agree with PPs. I share a Costco card with my DH, and even though it seems the price might have gone up from prev. years, we both really love their products and services, that we never think twice about renewing or how much it costs. I mean, we feel happy on the return we have, so I think it's all worth it, and not have to stress out or gamble when you go to the check-out line whether they're going to flip the card to verify your picture...

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2008, 02:00 PM
2 thoughts regarding the most recent thoughts on the dishonesty of splitting a membership as the OP... I did ask if it was something you were officially allowed to do because I didn't honestly know. Second, the cheapest price I had seen on their website for membership was $100 and that is excessive to me for my needs and what they appeared to offer at my only visit. I'd have no problem with a $50 membership though.

Beth

khm
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
If I recall, the $100 membership has a cash-back reward, and the $50 does not.

Looking at the site, you'd want the "Gold Star" membership. :) We upgraded when we knew we'd be buying a TV and some other electronics there, as well as stuff for my husband's work. So, we did earn enough back to make the $100 membership pay off. And, they say if you don't earn enough, you can ask for a refund of the extra $50. I'd never remember to do that, but nice option! ;)

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=503&eCat=BC|502|503&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Right_Nav2-_-Top_membership&lang=en-US

knaidel
06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I tag along with my brother all the time and use my own debit card to check out. There have been times I was the only one making a purchase and it has never, ever been an issue. I imagine different stores and cashiers enforce the policies differently.

I believe, as per the policy, it's okay to bring a friend along when you shop, so that's not a problem. I think the main problem is two different people who don't live at the same address/same household on the same membership policy.

brittone2
06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly or thinking about it wrong, but it seems like Katie just went as a guest with her brother. Instead of having her brother pay and then reimbursing him, if they weren't double checking her debit card against the membership card she just opted to pay using her debit. In the grand scheme of things I don't think she's shafting Costco out of membership fees or anything of the sort ??

(my parents go w/ DH and me, and they reimburse us, but it would be a lot easier if they could just pay with their own debit card sometimes :) )

Some of the more creative Costco membership arrangements cross the line into the unethical, but I don't really think what Katie did was a big deal personally. I'm only mentioning it since her name was cited in an above post specifically.

Emmas Mom
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
2 thoughts regarding the most recent thoughts on the dishonesty of splitting a membership as the OP... I did ask if it was something you were officially allowed to do because I didn't honestly know. Second, the cheapest price I had seen on their website for membership was $100 and that is excessive to me for my needs and what they appeared to offer at my only visit. I'd have no problem with a $50 membership though.

Beth

I had the $50 membership for years (Gold Star) & just last year upgraded to the $100 membership (Executive Club) because of the cash back thing. I just renewed this year & my cash back was $126, so not only is my next year membership FREE but I made $26 on it. :D :jammin: I love Costco.

luv2bmommy
06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
We also had the $50 membership until a couple of months ago when we upgraded to the $100 one. I have not read all the details yet, but we do do most of our shopping there, so I hope we can make the most use of it:)

sidmand
06-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I didn't even know you weren't supposed to do this (split a membership), but honestly, I wouldn't even shop at Costco if I didn't have my Dad's membership card. So while I didn't know I was doing something dishonest, I'm not sure I feel any differently now that I know.

I understand people feeling like they're subsidizing those of us who are not paying membership fees though. But what if we were indeed at the same address? Then it's okay? Seems a bit subjective that it's okay for roommates, but not family members who live in different cities or states.

We have a BJs in our town, which I do have a membership to through the MOMS Club, so it's a discounted membership to begin with. The nearest Costco is 40 minutes away and is pretty silly to go to, but sometimes I do. But I would never even buy anything there or go there if I didn't have a *free* card. Isn't it better to buy there than to not buy there at all? Maybe not?

knaidel
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I didn't even know you weren't supposed to do this (split a membership), but honestly, I wouldn't even shop at Costco if I didn't have my Dad's membership card. So while I didn't know I was doing something dishonest, I'm not sure I feel any differently now that I know.

I understand people feeling like they're subsidizing those of us who are not paying membership fees though. But what if we were indeed at the same address? Then it's okay? Seems a bit subjective that it's okay for roommates, but not family members who live in different cities or states.

We have a BJs in our town, which I do have a membership to through the MOMS Club, so it's a discounted membership to begin with. The nearest Costco is 40 minutes away and is pretty silly to go to, but sometimes I do. But I would never even buy anything there or go there if I didn't have a *free* card. Isn't it better to buy there than to not buy there at all? Maybe not?

You're right-- it is random that Costco doesn't allow mother and daughter who don't live in the same house to be on the same membership, but roomates who live in the same apt. to be on the same card. However, you can say that about anything-- "It's random that the children's musuem charges a higher price for kids over 2." That's Costco's rule- if you don't like it, you don't have to shop there.

Look, this is my point: to go up to the customer service counter and say, "I live with my mom" or "I live at 130 Main Street" when you don't is lying. I think that most people will agree with me that except in certain situations, lying is a bad thing. Is it worth it to lie to save $25? Like I said above, no one HAS to shop at Costco. It's not like a utility bill that if you don't pay it, you won't have heat in the dead of winter.

In terms of the last question, "isn't it better to buy there than to not buy there at all? Maybe not?" I don't know-- maybe go up to the customer service counter and ask what they think.

Rachels, the old moderator over here, used to have a siggie: "When you know better, you do better." :)

boolady
06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
DH and I are the two persons on our membership, but my mother goes with me almost every time that I go, and I don't see why she shouldn't-- they allow you to bring a guest. They can't possibly believe that a guest is going to come and not ever want or buy anything. To the contrary, they are trying to entice the guests into joining, and if they buy something while they're there, all the better. My parents used to have a membership, but rarely bought. When my mom comes with me, she occasionally buys something, but often does not.

Either way, a guest policy must anticipate guest purchases, either by the cardholder or the guest. I'm not sure how that's cheating or gaming.

sidmand
06-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Look, this is my point: to go up to the customer service counter and say, "I live with my mom" or "I live at 130 Main Street" when you don't is lying. I think that most people will agree with me that except in certain situations, lying is a bad thing.

See, but I never lied. And maybe some people on here didn't. My Dad asked me if I wanted a card and I said "sure." I just went up to the desk and got a card! I never said I lived at the same address. I was never asked.

But you're right, now I know that it's not part of the policy. I have no reason to shop there and buy the membership, so I'll just stick to BJs! But just realize that some of us may never have lied and it was an innocent question to begin with. It's totally fair to be upset and maybe some people did get around the truth to get a card. I'm not judging one way or another. People have different expectations. I guess I just wanted to clarify that I'm sure many people didn't even know it was against the policy.

vludmilla
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
See, but I never lied. And maybe some people on here didn't. My Dad asked me if I wanted a card and I said "sure." I just went up to the desk and got a card! I never said I lived at the same address. I was never asked.

But you're right, now I know that it's not part of the policy. I have no reason to shop there and buy the membership, so I'll just stick to BJs! But just realize that some of us may never have lied and it was an innocent question to begin with. It's totally fair to be upset and maybe some people did get around the truth to get a card. I'm not judging one way or another. People have different expectations. I guess I just wanted to clarify that I'm sure many people didn't even know it was against the policy.

Hmm, I don't appreciate the assumption that I lied to get the card that I share with my father. Many years ago when I lived with me father, I had shared a membership with him. I moved out and did not use the membership and didn't keep up with getting new cards. At some point my father pointed out that I live near a Costco and he suggested I use the membership again. We never thought about the fact that I didn't live with him. I went to the membership desk, gave them my driver's license (!!!!) and they still gave me a membership card associated with my father's card which is registered in a completely different state. They never said a word and I sure didn't lie or obfuscate a thing. So, perhaps, one shouldn't assume that everyone who shares a membership has actively lied to get one.

ETA: I did not change my last name when I married so my driver's license has the same last name as my father but a different address. Perhaps they didn't question me because our last names are the same?

infocrazy
06-18-2008, 07:20 PM
FWIW, I shared with my mom (300 miles away) for a while. I was with her once when we renewed and I think they asked for my driver's license. I can't remember but they entered in my different address and we both got coupons. I don't remember all the details because it was awhile ago but they were fully aware that we had different last names and addresses. For that store at least, it wasn't an issue.

We ended up getting our own though because I wanted DH to be able to go without me and we upgraded to the Executive one. We didn't make the $50 dollars the first time and they did give us the difference. Last year we got $75 back. We shop there lots though.

knaidel
06-18-2008, 08:12 PM
perhaps, one shouldn't assume that everyone who shares a membership has actively lied to get one.

Absolutely. My point above was referring to people who actually actively said an untruth (there were a few posters who said they did).

It's clear that many people don't know about the policy. And it's also clear that Costco doesn't always care- especially if staff had the opportunity to look at your ID and saw that you don't live in the same state.

Look, at the end of the day, I don't really care who shops at costco or goes with their aunt or whatever.. I am just making this point: the ethics of actively telling a false statement ("I live at 130 Main St" or "I live with my dad") in order to save $25 on a Costco membership is definetly questionable.

HannaAddict
06-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly or thinking about it wrong, but it seems like Katie just went as a guest with her brother. Instead of having her brother pay and then reimbursing him, if they weren't double checking her debit card against the membership card she just opted to pay using her debit. In the grand scheme of things I don't think she's shafting Costco out of membership fees or anything of the sort ??

(my parents go w/ DH and me, and they reimburse us, but it would be a lot easier if they could just pay with their own debit card sometimes :) )
I'm only mentioning it since her name was cited in an above post specifically.

I only mention Katie by name since I "know her" and since she has been a VERY active defender of Costco and their corporate ethics and poster regarding buying in bulk from Costco and I was frankly, very surprised she doesn't have her own membership. I did not get the impression from her post that the "Costco does not check memberships" or her many, many other posts about Costco, that she was a rare "guest" at Costco. My impression based on many other posts over years.

Costco does not have a "guest" policy. You can, of course, bring friends and family with you and buy what they want too. But the member is supposed to pay, to keep it a membership club and it helps them keep prices down for members and benefits up for employees. A win, win. It shouldn't be as convenient for non-members to pay with their own debit or AmEx card. I buy things for our sweet neighbor, I have gone through the car wash with my brother's car, etc. Costco could care less. The reason (from a Costco VP who is an IRL friend) for the simple rule on same household/address is to KISS (keep it simple stupid)! Costco doesn't want to have to determine relationships, etc. and their rule is easy to enforce. Of course people can get around it and some people truly have a hard time coming up with the membership fee. But I just had a problem with the idea that people should just do what they want, not buy a membership and think it is okay since they aren't getting "caught" when they can afford to pay and are shopping there more than once in a blue moon as a true guest. You can shop as a guest and pay a small surcharge and you can also shop online and pay the same surcharge. Costco will also refund the difference in the pricier membership if you don't spend enough to make it worthwhile and will refund your membership entirely, in full, if you aren't satisfied. They have great customer service and put the customers first, I hope their shoppers feel like that is worth supporting.

knaidel
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I just had a problem with the idea that people should just do what they want, not buy a membership and think it is okay since they aren't getting "caught" when they can afford to pay and are shopping there more than once in a blue moon as a true guest. ....... They have great customer service and put the customers first, I hope their shoppers feel like that is worth supporting.

well said..... you must be an attorney. :)