PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pet turtle? or frog?

LBW
06-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Can you tell me about it? DS1 has been asking for a small pet of his own. I doubt we'll get him anything (I already have enough on my plate), but he mentioned little turtles, and I figure I owe it to him to at least research them. I think he's talking about the small ones that can live in a small aquarium.

He also mentioned frogs, so frog owners can chime in too.

Thanks!

MamaMolly
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Double check on this but I think that turtles carry salmonella. You'd have to monitor hand washing carefully. HTH

specialp
06-17-2008, 10:28 AM
The above comment is correct about turtles, but you can get a tortoise which is diffent. My 4 year old nephew has 2 . . . and LOVES them dearly. (Russian Tortoise bought from a chain pet store for about $80 each, I think). He had one, and then my sister got a 2nd one. I think there was an initial big cost with buying an aquarium, a shelter log (not sure the accurate name of that) and a sun lamp . . . I think those are the 3 main things they need other than food and water. Hope that helps.

hillview
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
My neighbor has a turtle. It is 20 years old (his daughter just graduated from college). Just so you know :)

I won't be getting a turtle.

/hillary

kellij
06-17-2008, 10:59 AM
We have the little frogs that swim around in an acquarium for my ds. We got them in November and they are still alive! :) They are super easy to take care of. We have 2 in there. They are pretty small. We just feed them so dry food and change the water periodically. Got them at petsmart. I don't remember how much, maybe $2 each.

LBW
06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone!

Okay, I do NOT want to get involved with salmonella, or another pet that'll be around for 20 years! Yikes, who knew?! The little frogs sound interesting, and I'll have to look into tortoises. (But, I don't really want to invest a whole lot of money into this, either.) Maybe DS1 will just forget all about it!

dcmom2b3
06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Perhaps another reason: my pet tortise escaped (actually, he had some help--we were giving him rides on the model train, got distracted, and poof, Pokey flew the coop). Hard to find them when they get lost since they don't make any noise.

It's a running family joke that he's still living somewhere in the basement, and is just going to pop up one day. Like in the linen closet. Everyone thinks it's a scream. Except my mom.

MH

Pennylane
06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
How about a Hermit Crab? We've had ours for a few months and the kids love them. Very easy to take care of, minimal food and water. We put them in a small fish tank. The kids love to take them out and watch them crawl all over the house.

Ann

randomkid
06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
How about a Hermit Crab? We've had ours for a few months and the kids love them. Very easy to take care of, minimal food and water. We put them in a small fish tank. The kids love to take them out and watch them crawl all over the house.
Ann

:yeahthat: This is what I'd vote for! You can get a small plastic aquarium for them and they would likely be easier than frogs. My friend had these for her kids. All you do is feed them, clean out the cage once in a while and buy bigger shells. Her kids used to decorate the bigger shells before putting them in the aquarium. When the crab is ready, they move into their bigger "house". A *little* more interactive than a frog, maybe? Definitely no to turtles and, BTW, a tortoise would live a long time as well. You might want to read this! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_turtles

Whatever you decide, definitely do your research first. StepDD wanted a lizard and once I read about lamps, etc., I said "forget it!"

LBW
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
How about a Hermit Crab?

I had an evil college roommate who had a thing for hermit crabs, so I just can't go that route.

In my research I discovered that it's illegal to sell turtles and tortoises in NJ, so those two are both out.

Maybe I'll just get him a goldfish.

MommyAllison
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
My parents inherited a desert tortoise from friends, and though DD loves it dearly, I wouldn't get one. He is still very young at 10ish years old, but will likely grow to 100 years old (and he will be HUGE by then!). So be glad you can't buy one. :)

randomkid
06-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe I'll just get him a goldfish.

If you decide on fish, just be sure you get an aquarium with the filter and everything. We actually had goldfish as center pieces at our wedding. The person at the table whose b-day was closest to the wedding date got to keep the fish. The only fish that lived longer than a few days was the one my cousin took. She bought the aquarium, little bubbler thing, etc (I don't know all the terms) and then more fish. Hers lived while ours and everyone else's died.

Good Luck! No pet is really all that simple, IMO - except maybe a pet rock? - LOL!

new_mommy25
06-17-2008, 07:51 PM
We have two tortisoses and they are a PITA.