PDA

View Full Version : Installing Keyfit 30 without a base??

beansprout13
06-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm looking for some advice from the car seat experts out there...

I know the keyfit 30 can be installed without a base, but is this recommended - is it safe to do?

I'm debating whether to purchase an extra base for the car seat. The base is in my car and can be easily moved to DH's car for the few times that he needs it. My only concern is that on the rare occasion where DH has to get DS2 from somewhere and won't have the base in his car. I don't anticipate this happening very much at all. If the car seat can be installed safely with out the base, then I'm not sure it is worth the $60 or so to purchase another base. If the lack of a base compromises the safety at all, then I will certainly purchase another base... Any help/advice would be great! Thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
It's really quite easy to install it without the base. Basically just route the lapbelt in the belt guides, pull it super tight, make sure the recline is comfortable, lock the shoulderbelt. It takes under a minute :). I wouldn't get that second base unless it's just really coming up that you feel like you need it a whole bunch.
:)

KrisM
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I tried it in DH's car because we don't want an extra base either and it didn't take much to install it. It was pretty easy.