PDA

View Full Version : tooth fairy

spu
06-17-2008, 02:37 PM
we have our first wiggly tooth! and we're so excited that the tooth fairy will be coming soon... now what does the tooth fairy bring? and does she take the tooth or leave a special little box for the child to keep her teeth in? does she bring anything for siblings (or a twin sister who shares the same bed???)

tia!

Pennylane
06-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Our tooth fairy brought $5 for the first tooth and I think we'll do 2 or 3 for the next ones. She takes the tooth and leaves the empty box.

Ann

randomkid
06-17-2008, 03:19 PM
The tooth fairy takes the tooth and leaves the money. Be careful how much you start with as you are setting a precedent. I've heard of kids getting $100 for a tooth! Not that you would do that, but once you start with a certain amount, I think at least that much is expected for future teeth.

Having said that, I don't see why it can't be something other than money. You could ask your DD what she would want the tooth fairy to bring, but that it has to fit under her pillow. Just keep in mind that you have to be able to get it under there while she is sleeping. I'm thinking of this approach as I just wonder what kids think when they hear how much their friends got from the tooth fairy, KWIM? If my DD gets $5, but her friend at school gets $20, is she going to think the tooth fairy doesn't like her as much? I don't know if kids these days really talk about that. We've been through this with my stepdaughters and, if they lost a tooth while at our house, we ended up giving more than we usually would because their Mom gave them some ridiculous amount at their house.

It's just all too confusing for me!

ETA: One thing I'm not confused about is that I definitely would not give a sibling something as well. She didn't lose her tooth yet and when she does, she will get something. Again, if you do it once, you will have to do it every time. My stepdaughters used to get gifts on each other's birthdays and they came to expect it. It was very difficult to explain to them that we would not be doing the same as their Mom. They just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Just think that whatever you do now will be what is expected from now on.

SnuggleBuggles
06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
First tooth $5-10 and all the others will be $1. Tooth fairy just takes the tooth that is either left under the pillow or in a special holder and leaves $. Nothing for sibling.

Beth

Melbel
06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
For first tooth, our tooth fairy left a toothbrush, plus a note and $2 (either dollar coins or a $2 bill to make it special). For all other teeth she leaves a special note and $2 . When DS lost his tooth, the tooth fairy left DD1 a note encouraging her to take good care of her teeth and a new toothbrush. The tooth fairy takes the teeth and leaves the other items.

Tondi G
06-17-2008, 07:43 PM
My DS just lost his first tooth and our tooth fairy left 5 golden $1 coins in the pocket of the tooth fairy pillow we have! She took the tooth! Of course after the fact a friend of mine told me she made up a little note from the tooth fairy that read "I will leave this first tooth behind for your mommy, sometimes they are sentimental and want to keep one tooth for the baby book!". So since she took the first tooth we figured we would stay on that track. He since lost a 2nd tooth... this past weekend actually and he got 2 golden $1 coins for the 2nd tooth!

Just an fyi it could be a while. My DS's front tooth got wiggly in October and didn't fall out till his adult tooth started to grow in behind and literally pushed the baby teeth out! I was worried we were going to have to visit the dentist and have them pulled... but thankfully that didn't have to happen!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

Melanie
06-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Since your firsts are girls, I heard of a cute tradition of the tooth fairy leaving a silver charm each time. So I guess the first tooth would be the bracelet? Anyway, my eldest is a boy, so I think we'll likely do a special coin or foreign money. Perhaps some real US money, but not a ton. The Tooth Fairy is also going to leave a simple note saying that since the first one is so special (or 'so much hard work' depending upon how it goes) she will allow him (really mommy for his baby book!) to keep it.

ETA: So after the first 'special' tooth, what do you all do with the others?

marit
06-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Our first tooth fell while we were on a trip! We rushed to the nearest Target and I got something while DH distracted the kids...

I prefer a gift over money. They don't really understand the value of money (mine doesn't anyway), and I like to keep it that way. What if you give her $2 and she wants to go to a store and points at things that are more expensive? Does she have to wait for the other teeth to fall so she gets more money? it can be 6 months or more between teeth.

I got her a Hello Kitty pajama that was on sale and I knew she would like. Next time it might be something smaller, and in any case it went under the pillow.

It might be nice to leave the twin a tooth brush or something, just this first time.