PDA

View Full Version : Another b-day donation q- how much to spend?

SnuggleBuggles
06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Ds is invited to a party this weekend where the guests were asked to bring a new book to be donated in lieu of gifts for the birthday child (well, in this case, b-day children b/c they are twins). Should the amount of $ I spend on the book be on par with what I would spend on a gift for the b-day child? I usually spend $15 on b-day gifts so I wasn't sure if I can get away with a $5 chapter book instead of a $15 book? What is the rule of thumb on this? Also, the b-day child will be 6 but the books ds wanted to buy were preschool aged books (like a Little People lift the flap book)- is that ok? Or should we return those and get books that are for kids the age of the b-day kids?

I am overthinking this, I think. :)

Beth

jhrabosk
06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
The words "book" and "donation" would cause me to lean toward spending more rather than less, personally.

If the birthday kids' parents haven't specified what age to buy for, I don't think that matters so much. However, I would probably be inclined to spend around the amount I would've spent on gifts for each child.

lorinick
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I would spent the same amount maybe more than I normally do. At least the same. That is the nicest thing they are doing. The going rate here is $20. I wish I could get my son to do that. But his turning eight he'll never go for it.

KBecks
06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Just pick a book that you think is enjoyable and get on with life. :) If the book will be donated I don't think the age/reading level matters.

Have fun!