PDA

View Full Version : IKEA kids beds and furniture

cchavez
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Does anybody have the minnen bed....I am thinking about this in white for DD....how does it hold up? It is the same size as a twin right? Is it safe for a 2.5 year old. I don't need it to last forever just 2-3 years. Is the paint safe? I am also thinking of getting the Hemness dresser in white? Any opinions? TIA!

bubbaray
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
We have the Hemnes set for DD#1 in white. You could ask if the finish is the same. We have been pretty happy with how it has held up. She's been in it for about 2 years now. The only damage was to the nightstand when she put waterproof/tattoo bandages on it. Ugh. DH refinished it though.

The Hemnes set is a great value. We plan on getting another set for DD#2. I've already got the nightstand for her b/c they've changed the style and I wanted them to match. We have the twin bed and the 3-drawer dresser, along with a small Billy bookcase, all in white.

cchavez
06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I forgot to ask if anyone wants to share pics...that would be great! :)

jerigirl
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
If you are planning to pick up at the store be sure that you get all of the parts to the bed before you leave. The description of the bed that you are looking at says "SULTAN LADE slatted bed base is included in the price, but is packaged separately." I don't own any of the IKEA beds, but a friend of mine recently bought the MAMMUT bed for her son (2 yr). At the store she asked if everything that she needed was in the box and the CS person told her yes and then she got home and realized that she did not have the base part. The extra box. She returned to the store only to find that they were out of the bed base. She made them give her the one off of the floor model. Also with the MAMMUT bed in particular, they do not have ANY comforters that fit that bed. It is slightly bigger than their cribs and smaller than a twin bed. They don't really make that clear in the catalog or online. They told her in the store to just fold the twin comforter in half. I altered it for her to fit the bed. If you plan to use the Minnen bed extended to the twin size you should be fine with sheets, etc.

saschalicks
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Ditto everything Jeri said. We have 2 Kritter beds in red. The first one they didn't give us the slats. Also, it was a good thing someone told us we had to buy the mattress, b/c I thought the crib mattress would fit. They do make fitted sheets for the bed, but make sure to buy many of them.

On that note the boys and I (my DH too), love the beds and are really happy w/our choice.

nov04
06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
We chose it because it seemed so solid and it is. She's swung off the sides and it doesn't budge. We did put pool noodles around the legs using plastic cables because she'd likely stub her toes on them. I like the fact that the base isn't just one long piece, the multiple "joints" seem to make it sturdier. I could easily see it lasting 10 years. We used a regular twin mattress.

It does need a base for sure which comes in a separate box.

I really wanted the meldal bed for her but the box was too big for our car.

You'll love it!!!

JdrKuhnert
06-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I have had great luck with the IKEA beds, but beware of the dressers. I have had 2 different dressers fall apart. The drawers fell apart. They were not very stable in the construction. You have to constantly retighten the screws on the drawers or else the fronts pull off. It's a pain and I would rather spend a little more for a dresser that will last.

cimberdog
06-19-2008, 05:03 PM
We have the Minnen bed and LOVE it! You do need to purchase the 3-piece mattress set (it's one bigger piece and two smaller pieces to use as the bed is extended). And yes, you also need the slats, which are sold separately. We set it up using the bigger piece and one of the smaller mattress pieces, so it's slightly shorter than a twin. My son is 3 1/2 and LOVES his bed!

It is VERY solid - I sit on it every day to get him dressed and I am not a light person :)

Before this we tried a race car bed (one of those plastic ones) and he was afraid of it. But he popped right into this one and it's also closer to the ground.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/162455590_5942o-M.jpg

blisstwins
06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
That is in incredibly cute bedroom! Great job.

cimberdog
06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
If you were referring to my son's dragon bedroom being cute, thank you! We saw the setup like that at IKEA and tried to mimic it at home. I still haven't done the red crown border along the top or textured his castle walls, but it's really fun for him. We have the little torch lights too - one on each side of his bed now and he LOVES those!