PDA

View Full Version : Advice about possible job

niccig
06-17-2008, 07:42 PM
I need some job advice. Backstory...I've been volunteering for years with an archaeologist on her research project. She has recently been promoted to Project Manager for the entire museum and has been trying to recruit me to the Project Team. DS is now older and in preschool, and I'm in a position where I can see myself working again. I'm also considering returning to school full-time, but I'm not sure on that and as the museum work is another option I've considered, I've decided to give that a go to see if I like it.

My background is a librarian at a university. The role at the museum would be research assistant/setting up an information management structure for the team - basically uses the same skill set I had in libraries.

I want to work part-time while DS is in preschool and we've verbally agreed to some work from home or elsewhere (eg. at the university library). I don't know how to go about talking about hours and pay. Generally, the museum world doesn't pay as well as the university setting I came from, but I don't want to be underpaid for what I'll be doing either. Despite working on a project for a few years, I don't think she realizes how qualified/experienced I am in certain areas. I was thinking of doing up my resume to show her before she writes up a job description.

I was also planning on working only 2 days a week, and using the other preschool day to volunteer at the UCLA Bone Lab - that's the area of archeology that I'm interested in. I know the museum would like me to work 3 days and not 2. And I don't know if I can manage 10-12 hours of work plus volunteer and then do all the normal child caring and household work that I do. I know that sounds silly to the parents that work full-time and/or have more than one DC.

So, any advice about how to navigate a return to work or how to balance work and volunteer and life and not procrastinate!

Thanks.

shilo
06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
i think putting a resume together including desired pay range sounds like a good idea. that way she'll know your expectations before making an official offer that is too low to leave room for negotiation. can you find out/do you know what the going per diem rate (sorry, not sure if that's the term in your profession, in mine that means an hourly rate that is commensurate with experience + taking into account that you are not getting benefits - so usually a few dollars an hour higher than a FT position with benefits would be...) is for librarians in your area? maybe when it comes to the discussion about how much time you have and balancing all your goals you can consider that you don't have to do everything on your list all at once? maybe you could commit to the full three days/week in the beginning when it will likely take a large influx of time to get things off the ground on this project. then next year or the year after when your DS may be ready for a 4 or 5 day/week program, you can pick up some time at the bone lab? i guess i'm saying maybe take each step one at a time.

just my thoughts based on your post, hope you find something that helps achieve the balance you're seeking,
lori

ThreeofUs
06-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Sounds like a good opportunity to ease back into work, with a boss you know and like.

I agree that a resume is a great idea, and you should definitely discuss a target pay range with the Project Manager so you don't end up under-paid or -appreciated. But it seems that this job might come with some real flexibility that would allow you to work a little more for them (say, from home in the evenings a few hours/week) and yet leave you time for your DS, home, and volunteer work.

Having volunteered for your would-be boss, you probably know how she thinks. Why not put together a compromise proposal to discuss with her? You aren't that far apart, and it seems (from way far away!) that she could get most of what she wants and you get what you want without much trouble.

Good luck!

niccig
06-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did a search to find the going part-time rate for a librarian. Many jobs say it depends on experience, but a few listed hourly rate. It gives me something to base it on. The job sounds like it will have a certain amount of flexibility, and I do agree that flexibility could be worth less per hour pay. Generally, part-time librarian jobs include nights and weekends and because of DH's work, I would need to get a babysitter. The museum job will be within preschool hours, so I don't have to pay more for childcare. I also want to move out of traditional librarianship, and this could be the chance to do that.

I've asked about volunteer hours at the bone lab. If they are not preschool days, I can't do it. So, I'll see what happens with that before deciding. I can wait to do it later, but it's something I've wanted to do for 2 years.

Now for my resume, I have to find it first, so I can update it. It's kinda scary to be thinking about all of this again.