PDA

View Full Version : I was rear ended

Tondi G
06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
what is the deal with car seats and accidents again? My car (Dodge Durango) has very minimal damage (from what I can see, haven't been to a shop yet) to the bumper. The guy who hit me was driving a Jeep Wrangler and while we were exchanging information his jeep started leaking coolant all over the place. My car fared a whole lot better than his did.

Do I need to replace my Marathon? My DS was in the car at the time. Luckily he just looked surprised and with wide eyes blurted out "Mommy, What was that!" I explained that someone just hit the back of the car and he responded with the ever present "WHY"? We are both fine physically.

I just want to make sure the seat is safe for him. To be totally honest I wouldn't mind getting a new Cowmooflage MA out of the deal... my old stormy cover is boring these days! :) Oh and my older DS's Turbo Booster was also in the car but not occupied (he was already at school)... should I get a new booster?

Thanks

~Tondi

Joolsplus2
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
If it were me? No, I wouldn't replace them. But let me shine off my crystal ball for when you call Britax and Graco tomorrow: Britax will say nope, Graco will say yep.
Britax basically says there needs to be pretty major damage to the car for it to warrant replacement, Graco is a nervous worrywart that doesn't tolerate even a bump that would be less stress than dropping it six inches to the garage floor, lol.

It's the other Guy's insurance...It's certainly a good idea to mention it in case they jump up and offer replacement, but if Graco says replace, then they'll definitely have to pay for it. (Unless it's a no-fault state? In which case, mention it to your own insurance company, anyway).

I hope you don't end up with a sore neck for weeks! I was barely tapped once and it hurt forever, it seemed (really bad headrestraints, though).

:)

bubbaray
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I'd replace them as long as the other guy's insurance is paying. I wouldn't think they would squak too much, especially when you tell them one child restraint was occupied. :(

If you or your DS feel sore or achy in the next couple of weeks, go to the dr and document it.

Hugs -- it must have been really scary for both of you!

niccig
06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
You're in California, correct? I thought occupied seats HAD to be replaced by CA law, so that covers the Cowmoo MA. And if Graco insists the Turbo booster gets replaced, even though not occupied, then you HAVE to get a new seat. TWO new seats, want us to help you go shopping???

bubbaray
06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
BTW, keep the cover from your old MA if possible. That way you have a spare! :)

Tondi G
06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks ladies! Yes I am in California! When I took my car in today to get the estimate the guy said he would put in the 300 for a new car seat into the total pending an actual receipt/purchase price! He said the booster since it wasn't occupied didn't need to be replaced. I wonder about that. Honestly I am not too concerned about the turbo... it's a low back booster and we can afford replacing it ourselves if needed. My Poor DS is such a big guy he is getting close to not fitting it anymore. He is 100lbs and probably around 54 inches tall, looks like he is starting to get kinda squished in it. He doesn't complain though. I wish there was another low back booster that would accomodate him more comfortably!

SO looks like a new MA will be in order. Still trying to decide if I will buy it locally and pay the tax or order it from Albeebaby or???

Thanks

Oh and so far DS and I are fine (he's 3 and hasn't complained or acted like he was hurting so I suppose he's ok). Ironically that morning I had woken up with a kink in my neck as it was... slept funny. I've been ok since. Nothing that a normal trip to the chiropractor won't straighten out.

~Tondi

Joolsplus2
06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
The Turbo is like the worst booster for a kiddo that size :).

Combi Dakota, Cosco High Rise, Cosco Prospect, Clek Olli are all wider and deeper. I'd make the parental decision to use them above 100 pounds, personally. You might consider buying a Sunshine Kids Monterey and use it backless for this kiddo and highback for the younger one later, it actually has a 120 pound weight limit.

Glad the insurance is so accomodating! I'd buy a Frontier ;)