PDA

View Full Version : Scooter for pre-schooler

niccig
06-18-2008, 12:21 AM
We were at the park and DS asked an older boy (about 5) if he could ride on his scooter. I was surprised at how well DS did on it. His 1/2 birthday party (born in 12/25) is next week, and I thought we could get him one. We already have a helmet, so just need the scooter.
Thanks.

Wife_and_mommy
06-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Are you thinking of getting a two-wheeled scooter? or a three-wheel? The two-wheelers aren't safe for 5yo's even so wouldn't recommend it. DD has a 3 wheeler and loves it. She's been riding it since 3.25 or so.

niccig
06-18-2008, 12:29 AM
I didn't know there were even 2 wheels. I want what is safe. The one he used at the park was a razor, but he's not getting something like that until he's much much older. 3 wheels are fine by me. What brand do you have?

Wife_and_mommy
06-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Ack. Don't know the brand. It was a hmd from my niece. I've seen them at Target though. Also kids' consignment stores. They run $9 used, 18-20 new.

niccig
06-18-2008, 12:51 AM
ETA. I read some old posts about some kids getting bored with a 3-wheeled scooter. DS is small for his age, but physically he's ahead of older kids. So, now I'm not sure what to get. Maybe a cheaper 3 wheeler and then replace in a year or so with a 2 wheeler?

Wife_and_mommy
06-18-2008, 01:44 AM
I don't recall specifics but the two-wheelers aren't recommended before age 6 or even 8?

The 3 wheelers aren't expensive so I think your plan is a good one.

ThreeofUs
06-18-2008, 02:03 AM
We bought DS a two-wheeler for his 1/2 birthday, with the agreement that he would only ride it with full pads, helmet, and one of us with him.

He's also physically ahead, and would have nothing to do with a 3-wheeler. He's been playing on our next door neighbors' scooters for the last couple of years, so that's probably why....

So far, he's gotten more scrapes from running and tripping on the driveway (dang those crocs!) than he has on the scooter.

AngelaS
06-18-2008, 06:56 AM
My newly turned 6 yo rides a 2 wheeled scooter. And she's getting really fast on it!

We bought a 3 wheeled one originally, but she was constantly whacking the inside of her ankle on the nut that sticks out on the back wheel of that one and she was miserable on it. She'd wind up in tears every time we tried to go for a walk on it.

Sure, she crashes the 2 wheeler every so often, that's just part of being a kid. :)

KrystalS
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
We got DD a 3 wheel scooter for her bday in February, shes 4, she is already bored with it. Her older cousins have Razor scooters and she always rides them when we visit. She can actually ride it very well, despite the age requirements they put on them. I always make her wear a helmet. JMO, but I think 5 is old enough for a Razor.

Joolsplus2
06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Consider getting the Radio Flyer 3-wheeler...the two wheels are on the front, a single in the back, so it's really steady and doesn't get in the way of the scooting foot/ankle. Leah's had hers since this winter, it's so stable she can stand on it and I drag her around the house on it. The mom next door liked it so much she bought one for her 4 yo. My older dd is way over the weight limit but it rides smoothly with her on it.

new_mommy25
06-18-2008, 06:48 PM
How old is your DS?

We bought my DS the Orbit 3 wheel scooter when he was almost 3 1/2. He immediately picked it up and did really well. My nephew is 3 1/2 and really comfortable on his Nexport Scoot (which is a super sturdy 4 wheel scooter). My DD also got a 3 wheel scooter for her second birthday. It was Dream Dazzlers from Toysrus. It's awesome for her age since it is very tiny but won't last longer than a year. I'll upgrade her when the time comes. :) The Radio Flyer looks really nice. I had wanted to get that for DD but they were sold out when we went which is how we ended up with the other one.

Someone mentioned that 2 wheel scooters are unsafe for 5 year olds and I do disagree a little. When my DS was about 4 1/2 I bought him a two wheeled Razor scooter and he LOVES it. Honestly, I wish I had just gotten him the Razor from the get go since the quality is so amazing compared to many of the 3 wheeled scooters. On the Razor you can just glide versus the 3 wheeled scooters where there is a lot of foot pushing involved. We're in walking distance of a skate park and he does pretty well on the ramps. I let him go on hills because the scooter has a brake. Kind of a necessity since we live on the base of a crater so all there is is hills around us. I'm sure I sound really irresposible right now but my DS is cautious and also very athletically inclined so I feel confident. (He does pretty well on a skateboard too). He has several helmets and I also make him wear the full pad regalia. But like with anything, it really depends on your child.

Pennylane
06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
My younger dd (3) rides my older dd's two wheeled scooter all the time. My mom bought her this radio flyer one for Christmas, but it is too slow for her and does not make good turns, her words. She gets really frustrated on it.

http://www.radioflyer.com/rideon/rideon_540.html

Ann

niccig
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I forgot to say how old DS is. He's 3.5 yo. He did ride a razor with me walking beside him, and I was surprised at how well he did. He was just pushing it, no gliding yet. He is gliding on his balance bike though.

new_mommy25
06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I forgot to say how old DS is. He's 3.5 yo. He did ride a razor with me walking beside him, and I was surprised at how well he did. He was just pushing it, no gliding yet. He is gliding on his balance bike though.

If it were me I would get him the Razor and just supervise him closely. If he is already riding a balance bike then he likely has enough coordination for a 2 wheel scooter. They go on sale at Toysrus pretty often for $19.99. I just bought one a few weeks ago as a bday gift for one of DS's friends. Otherwise I still think they are worth the $30. I paid full price with free ship from Amazon because DS's favorite color is green and none of the stores around me had that color in stock.