PDA

View Full Version : Help me find someplace to go in December

geochick
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Every winter we like to go someplace warm...someplace resort-ish. Last year we went on a Caribbean cruise and then to Hawaii. This year I'm thinking about Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. I've found all sorts of 5 star all-inclusive resorts in the $3300-$4800 range (incl air) for our family of 4.

Where would you go if you wanted to spend $3k-$4k? I live in Salt Lake City and can't decide if we should do 2 smaller vacations (California, probably) or one big one to Mexico or another exotic place.

Help me spend my money on a fun family vacation. Our kids are 4 and 2. Thanks.

StantonHyde
06-23-2008, 12:52 AM
What? You just don't love all that snow and ice? :bouncy: Friends of ours go to a small place outside of Puerto Vallarta--Salulita (??). They rent a house and just love it--beach, easy walk to town. Isla de Mujeres is also supposed to be beautiful but may not have enough to keep your guys happy too. What about Costa Rica? I have heard awesome things about it and there are some great resorts. Plus it has good snorkeling, hiking, jungle and beach stuff. St. Barts is also supposed to be nice--but that might be too much flying time for the boys. I know I want to go to Hawaii some day but the thought of flying for more than 4-5 hours with my kids is frightening at this point!!

Check out the www.fodors.com (http://www.fodors.com) chat rooms for good ideas--I planned an entire vacation to France using the word of mouth recommendations there. And am planning a wine country trip the same way as well.

I just remember last year in February when it was a snow storm every other day and I was trying to figure out a problem at work and another friend was saying how much easier this would be if the friend on vacation was here. Then she says, "But no, the b**** is in Mexico!" We just laughed, we were sooooo jealous at that point ;)

geochick
06-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks. These are good ideas. My dad is planning a trip to Costa Rica right now with his siblings. I should look at Costa Rica too.

My kids aren't great on airplanes either, but we just grin and bear it. We love to get outta Dodge so much...it's worth a few hours of pure pain to go someplace warm in the winter months!

Thanks again! I'll go check out fodors.com. I've been all over TripAdvisor lately.