PDA

View Full Version : I might need car shopping help.

KBecks
06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Our 2001 Acura TL with 130k miles has a bad transmisison and a $4k repair estimate. DH is checking with Acura/Honda to see if they will help cover the costs since the TLs have had a history of tranny issues. We are hoping to keep the car running w/o a huge repair bill.

However, if we are out of luck, we will probably shop for a new car, like this weekend. We have an 07 Odyssey minivan, we will have 3 kids, and I think these are our criteria:

-- fuel efficient; DH does the most driving and he makes a lot of sales calls
-- I think it should fit 3 car seats in the back in a pinch, we'll use the minivan nearly all the time with the kids
-- DH will drop DS1 off at preschool, I think we need 4 doors
-- some cargo room for DH to carry some work supplies plus golf clubs once in a while.
-- I don't drive standard transmission cars so an automatic would be best for flexiblity

I'm wondering seriously about a hybrid if we buy new. I'm normally a huge researcher but this is a short time period. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

I wonder about a Prius or Highlander hybrid. I think DH would like more of a medium-size vehicle though. I don't know what he likes!

1964pandora
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hear that your car may bite the dust!

How about a nice, midsize sedan? We're not in the market for a car just yet, but I know what we will buy next. I love the newest Toyota Camry. They redesigned the exterior in 2007, so I would want to buy a 2007 or 2008. I wasn't too keen on the looks of the Camry until I started noticing the latest model.

From what I've read, hybrids do NOT save you money. I'm all for hybrids for environmental reasons, but supposedly they are not more economical. Here's an article about that:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Saveonacar/P37272.asp

Good luck with your car!

Susan

kmak
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
As far as size the Toyota Prius is very roomy inside. They just give the impression of being a small car. I don't know about 3 car seats though. But it has room for tall adults in the back seat with a really good sized cargo area in the back.

ThreeofUs
06-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, the hybrids have not (yet) lived up to their promise - mainly because battery technology has not progressed the way industry experts expected. Also, battery replacement is $ouch.

Go for a 4-cylinder engine, maybe even turbo-powered if you want the power, and you will get just about the same mileage as a hybrid. I'm personally a fan of Saabs and Subarus, but these are not to everyone's taste or pocketbook.

Good luck!

kmak
06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh, and, in what little research we've done, fuel economy is going to still be better on a smaller gas car than a hybrid SUV. All hybrids are not the same. And, no matter how you look at it SUV's gulp down the gas. It's just the way they're designed is not fuel effecient.

cvanbrunt
06-18-2008, 04:03 PM
My husband is leasing a Highlander Hybrid. We won't be keeping it because the mileage isn't great, although it's good for a car that size. We are big fans of the Volvos.

kijip
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Honestly for a 7 year old Acura, I'd consider a $4000 repair vs. the $20,000+ cost of a new car. If the transmission can be fixed, that car has a lot more miles left to drive. If a new car is your decision, I'd get a 4 cylinder Camry for your specific needs. It will last forever.

niccig
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
We have a Prius. 2 car seats, no problems. 3 will depend on the seats used. If you check over at car-seat.org I think someone has done it. As for longevity of hybrids, it remains to be seen, but I was in a taxi Prius in Vancouver and the driver said it had done 1 million kilometers (about 600,000 miles I think) and he said no hybrid components were replaced - they did have to replace a normal 12V battery though. So I have hope that ours lasts as many miles. We got ours in 2004 and got a tax write off for it and we have a permit on it for the car pool lane and it cut 30 mins off DH's commute each way, so it was a better buy for us than any other car. I've heard that because of gas prices, there are waiting lists for Priuses and they are going for sticker, so no deals on new ones.

1964pandora
06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Honestly for a 7 year old Acura, I'd consider a $4000 repair vs. the $20,000+ cost of a new car. If the transmission can be fixed, that car has a lot more miles left to drive. If a new car is your decision, I'd get a 4 cylinder Camry for your specific needs. It will last forever.

I think that what Katie said about repairing the car is quite true. I think it's always always cheaper in the long run to repair a car, even if it's an expensive repair, (even if it continues to need repairs) than to buy a new car. I also like Katie's recommendation on the 4 cylinder Camry!

Susan

beansprout13
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
We just got rid of our 2001 Acura TL as well b/c of transmission problems too. We couldn't get Acura to pay for anything - they claim they already extended the warranty to 100,000 miles to cover potential issues. We just got a Honda Accord, which is actually slightly bigger than the TL. It is DH's car so I haven't driven it very much, but he is very happy.

mytwosons
06-18-2008, 06:33 PM
I think that what Katie said about repairing the car is quite true. I think it's always always cheaper in the long run to repair a car, even if it's an expensive repair, (even if it continues to need repairs) than to buy a new car. I also like Katie's recommendation on the 4 cylinder Camry!

Susan

I would normally agree with this but...the trannys are just plain bad. Class action lawsuit bad. To fix it, they typically replace it, but with a used tranny from a car that's been scrapped. (New would be cost prohibitive.) We replaced and the second tranny died after 10k miles. Thankfully, it was warrantied for 12k. We dumped that car as soon as we could after getting the third transmission.

kijip
06-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I would normally agree with this but...the trannys are just plain bad. Class action lawsuit bad. To fix it, they typically replace it, but with a used tranny from a car that's been scrapped. (New would be cost prohibitive.) We replaced and the second tranny died after 10k miles. Thankfully, it was warrantied for 12k. We dumped that car as soon as we could after getting the third transmission.

Interesting. In that case, I'd see about that Camry. We have one and love it. :)

1964pandora
06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, that is interesting about transmissions. I didn't know that either.

Susan

LBW
06-18-2008, 07:23 PM

I wonder if they could use a transmission from a Honda instead? I know Hondas and Acuras share a lot of parts.

bubbaray
06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I think the Honda Accord/Ody/various Acura tranny's sucked until about 2003 or so. I can't remember the exact dates, but if you google Honda tranny class action, you should get some hits.

I'm pretty sure your TL is based on the Accord drivetrain, so you're probably in the "crappy tranny" group. Ugh.

In that case, I'm not sure what I'd do. You probably won't get much $$ for the vehicle without the repair done.

As for new sedans that will fit three across, it depends on your seat(s) and which sedan you're looking at. I would think a Subaru would be out -- they have pretty difficult installations even for 2 across.

As for hybrids and mileage, it totally depends on the type of driving you do -- if you do mostly highway, hybrids aren't worth it (unless they get you a HOV lane pass) for mileage reasons (though some choose them for the environmental impact, which I'm not convinced about b/c those batteries have to end up somewhere). For city driving, hybrids can make sense.

This was released today here. http://www.bcaa.com/downloads/2008-Cost-of-Hybrid-Ownership.pdf

Granted, its in Canadian dollars (at par), the vehicle prices are Canadian (more expensive than in the US), and gas is factored in at $1.40/L, which is about $5.50 per gallonUS (FWIW, our gas is $1.48/L right now). Some hybrids definitely DO work out to be a better deal, pricewise -- like the Honda Civic Hybrid. I would think that would be a tight squeeze for 3 across, but it might be possible. I know there are 3 belts back there, but you'd have to ask over in carseats.

Also, not sure about the Ford Escape Hybrid. We are considering one. 2 seats installed like a breeze and there looked to be as much room between them as in DH's 1997 Pathfinder. So, 3 across might also be possible in the Escape (and Julie has one over in Carseats, so she can help you with that install).

HTH

mom2binsd
06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
If we were to get another sedan...we'd get another Saab 9-5 or 9-3..not new but they hold up so well...the back seats are very roomy and I'd bet you could get 3 across....the trunk space is great and after having owned 3 Saabs in my life I can't say enough about them...and the old stories about Saabs needing a lot of repairs is not true with the newer ones...that was in the old days...

kijip
06-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Yes, that is interesting about transmissions. I didn't know that either.

Susan
It's not all transmissions, the information was specific to the transmissions in this particular car. Many cars get new trannys and are just fine.

KBecks
06-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Thank you for all the replies, ladies! I am so happy to report that our Acura dealer is being awesome and is replacing the transmission under warranty even though the 100k warranty has expired. And they gave Dave a new TL to drive at no cost while it's getting fixed. We're going to have a routine maintenance done while it's there and hopefully, we'll achieve our goal of 200k miles out of the car -- maybe another 3-4 years.

I'm so relieved we don't have to take a huge chunk of savings for car repairs or make a hasty decision about a new car. I will remember all your recommendations and we can hopefully revisit this a long time from now. :)

birdie75
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln MKS (these are the same car) has great fuel economy and is super comfy. I don't know where you live but we have the AWD option which is great for snow/rain safety. Also if he is in sales you can get sync which is the hands-free option for bluetooth phone. I have to say is is my favorite feature since I can answer my phone while it is still in my purse from a button on the steering wheel. There are lots of options so you should be able to find soemthing at the right price point.

KBecks
06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
As for hybrids and mileage, it totally depends on the type of driving you do -- if you do mostly highway, hybrids aren't worth it (unless they get you a HOV lane pass) for mileage reasons (though some choose them for the environmental impact, which I'm not convinced about b/c those batteries have to end up somewhere). For city driving, hybrids can make sense.

This was released today here. http://www.bcaa.com/downloads/2008-Cost-of-Hybrid-Ownership.pdf

Thanks for the info and link. I am still rejoicing that Acura is fixing our car and we plan to keep the 01 TL, but now, we can make a leisurely choice about if/when to change cars. I am hoping to wait 3 or more years. I'll be interested to see if the new tranny repair comes with some warranty coverage, as I've heard of cars in the "sucky tranny" years needing more than 1 tranny replacement. Yuck. I had thought to this point we lucked out and didn't get one of the bad ones.

DH and I were talking about what kind of driving he does and hybrids while we were running around and working out the car inspections, etc. and he thinks that his highway driving is a lot more like city driving because in rush hour, his main commute, it's not like you get a decent consistent speed anyway. He makes some highway trips on off hours that are more true highway driving but the daily grind is slower stop and go.