PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

mmm0708
06-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi, I'm new here. My first post. :wavey:

I need to buy a new seat for my son. I'm going tonight and I don't know what to get...

He's 3 yr and 2 mo. He's 39 pounds and 39 inches tall.

My car is a 2000 Dodge Neon. NO LATCH system. :(

I'm debating between the britax marathon, the britax boulevard, and the True Fit.

Safety aside, my first concern is a 5 point harness, which all 3 have. Next, how long it will last, as I want my son harnessed as long as possible. Third, ease of installation... because my car doesn't have latch.

I love that the Britax Regent goes to 80 pounds, but the seat is huge. I highly doubt it will fit in my car. :(

Any suggestions? (even if it's something I haven't listed)

Thanks so much!!

jjordan
06-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Since your son is too heavy to rearface, how about a combination seat that harnesses for a while and then can be used as a booster seat? The Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier will both keep him harnessed for a while and then can be used as a booster seat. The Graco is usually about $150 but is on sale now at Babycenter for about $130 and also at Walmart (but not sure of the price there). The Frontier is more like $280 but some people like it more.

Jill

o_mom
06-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I would honestly say the Graco Nautilus ($150 @ Walmart, BRU) would be your best choice. The Nautilus harnesses to 65 lbs, taller than the Marathon or Boulevard (not sure about the TrueFit) and then becomes a booster later. It installs well in just about any car, even without LATCH.

The seats you listed are all convertible seats which can go rear-facing and forward-facing. Since he is over the rear-facing weight limit for any seat, there isn't a need for that feature (unless you have another child that needs that who wasn't mentioned).

Joolsplus2
06-18-2008, 04:30 PM
:bighand: hi!

Um... none of the above? :loveeyes:

How about the Graco Nautilus? Has top slots taller than those other seats, almost as tall as the Regent, actually. Britax Frontier is also a great choice, but I'm not sure if you can find it *tonight*, but it's top slots are almost as tall as the Nautilus and it has excellent side impact protection.

Regent fits fine in your car, but I think the booster-ability of the Nautilus or Frontier make them a better buy overall (you can still keep him harnessed to about age 8 in these seats, and that's a good age to be using a good high back booster).

Marathon and Boulevard would only fit, max, till age 6 (maybe 5ish, he's a biggish guy), True Fit might fit a little longer, but not much.

Of course, if you have a younger kiddo, then ANY of those is great! (I've heard the harness is kind of wonky on the True Fit, it slides along under the bum and can be hard to straighten out when it gets uneven... doesn't bother eveyrone, but it's something to keep in mind).

:)

Joolsplus2
06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, there's a bunch of responses, we're quick today! :boogie:

mmm0708
06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Okay, thanks... but, is the graco seat as safe as the britax... it's been drilled into me the past 3 years that britax is the "best"... Thanks for all the quick replies!! :)

I do have a 15 mo old daughter as well. Her seat is fine for now... she's rear facing in a evenflo triumph deluxe. She's just barely 21 pounds, even at 15 months, but will be RF for a long while yet...

I don't have to go RIGHT now... I can look into the frontier one listed... I was only running out tonight because I have BRU coupons that expire today. LOL I just want the best seat for the best price.

o_mom
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
They are both very safe seats. :) I don't think there is anyway to say that one is safer than the other. Britax tests for side impact protection and does list it as a feature. Graco doesn't say one way or the other, but any harnessed seat is going to do well in side impact. They both have deep headwings lined with energy absorbing foam.

If you need a seat *tonight*, like Juile said, the Nautilus is easy to find. The Frontier isn't in any chain stores yet, BRU is supposed to get them at some point. Some independent retailers may have it (BuyBuyBaby, USABaby, etc.). The Frontier is reported to be slightly trickier to install, but I think it should still fit your car just fine.

ETA: The Frontier will last longer as a high-back booster, as it is very tall. The Frontier has a 9 year lifespan vs. 6 for the harness and highback booster of the Nautilus and 8? for the low back booster portion. I will say, though, that you could buy a great dedicated booster with the $150 price difference, so I'm not sure that there is an advantage either way.

Joolsplus2
06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Yup, it's good. It's got EPS foam for head/side impact protection (the Frontier does have deeper sidewings, though), it has a nice non-twist harness and super smooth harness adjuster, it installs rock solid super fast in most vehicles... Graco (and everyone else) have taken Britaxes best features and run with them (improved on some...the harness adjuster for the Nautilus is MILES nicer than the Marathon/Boulevard...it puts Britax to shame...the Frontier is almost as nice as the Nautilus, though, definitely nicer than the Marathon).
Britax does set the standards, but it's ok to go with other seats that have better features if they work for you :)

Joolsplus2
06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
ROFL! Ok, none of us has a life :ROTFLMAO: (at least we are consistent).

mmm0708
06-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Wow! Thanks so much.

Now, I expect this kind of service every time I come here. You gals set the standard high. :ROTFLMAO:

Off to search. Again. :) Much appreciated.

niccig
06-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I think BRU has the Nautilus. If it's in stock, you could use your coupons to get it. If you don't like it, you could then return and get money refunded.

new_mommy25
06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Nautilus is on sale at Amazon for $127.

niccig
06-18-2008, 06:35 PM
That Amazon price is a good deal. I should tell a friend about it.

lorinick
06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
They are both very safe seats. :) I don't think there is anyway to say that one is safer than the other. Britax tests for side impact protection and does list it as a feature. Graco doesn't say one way or the other, but any harnessed seat is going to do well in side impact. They both have deep headwings lined with energy absorbing foam.

If you need a seat *tonight*, like Juile said, the Nautilus is easy to find. The Frontier isn't in any chain stores yet, BRU is supposed to get them at some point. Some independent retailers may have it (BuyBuyBaby, USABaby, etc.). The Frontier is reported to be slightly trickier to install, but I think it should still fit your car just fine.

ETA: The Frontier will last longer as a high-back booster, as it is very tall. The Frontier has a 9 year lifespan vs. 6 for the harness and highback booster of the Nautilus and 8? for the low back booster portion. I will say, though, that you could buy a great dedicated booster with the $150 price difference, so I'm not sure that there is an advantage either way.BuyBuy Baby does sell the Frontier in many patterns. If you have near you to look at it. It's nice! Buy so is the Nautilus and BRU does have those.