PDA

View Full Version : I have shingles- what should I expect? several q's

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I woke up Sunday morning with a rash and I finally had it checked out on Tuesday morning. He did a culture but is sure it is shingles so I started on Valtrex.

I can tolerate the itchiness most of the time. But, sometimes it really gets to me. Is there anything I can use on it?

Also, currently it is isolated to a patch on my back. Will it most likely just stay right there or is it probably going to spread?

If it does spread to the front that will have bf'ing implications. Has anyone had to deal with that twist (bf'ing + shingles)? Did you have to pump exclusively? Could you use the milk? I will check with my CNMs and LCs if the shingles spread for more personal advice but I kind of wanted to get some idea of what to expect, just in case.

How contagious is it? Should I self quarantine? My ds1's b-day party is this weekend and I would hate to miss it but I don't want to get other people sick! Oh, and can I make ds's b-day cake or is that a no-no?

How long did it take you to feel better? What is it's normal course? I have body aches, like the flu, now as well as a wicked headache.

I've looked over books and websites but sometimes hearing btdt experiences is even more helpful. :) Thanks!!

Beth

Emmas Mom
06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm just going to start by saying BIG HUGS (but very gentle ones). I had it about 9 years ago now (I was 28) & I think I'd rather go through an unmedicated labor than have shingles again. It sounds like you aren't having the same experience as me though. Mine was beyond painful. Almost a burning pain that was constant for two weeks & then sporadic for another two weeks. I couldn't wear a bra (not sure that's possible for you if you're BF though). I was not, so I cannot comment on that. I believe you may be exposing your kids to the virus though. Again, I didn't have kids at the time so maybe someone else can comment on it. Shingles follows a dermatome on your body so it's likely that it will wrap around to your front. The Valtrex will kill the virus but does nothing for the itching/pain, so as far as that goes....frozen bags of peas & lidocaine gel. Hang in there & I hope it goes away quickly!

o_mom
06-18-2008, 06:36 PM
My experience and DH's (7 yrs later) was that with the anti-viral med started within 48-72 hrs it did not spread. Both of us had it on our face and in one small spot. The Valtrex worked within 24-48 hrs. As long as you can cope with any pain and there are no open blisters on your breast, I would think BF would be OK. I'd be interested to hear what the LC says. Watch out for chicken pox in two weeks, though.

As far as the party - shingles is only contagious with direct contact with the blisters (and the person gets chicken pox, not shingles). Since it is in an area that it covered, if you wash your hands well and don't scratch it should be OK. By Saturday you should be well under control with the Valtrex anyway. You may want to give a heads up to the guests, though, in case anyone would have problems with chicken pox.

ThreeofUs
06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't have much to add, but wanted to send a very gentle hug to you.

One thing I have heard from those who have had shingles is to be hyper-aware of your symptoms - because it can come back.

bubbaray
06-18-2008, 08:32 PM
My experience and DH's (7 yrs later) was that with the anti-viral med started within 48-72 hrs it did not spread. Both of us had it on our face and in one small spot. The Valtrex worked within 24-48 hrs. As long as you can cope with any pain and there are no open blisters on your breast, I would think BF would be OK. I'd be interested to hear what the LC says. Watch out for chicken pox in two weeks, though.

As far as the party - shingles is only contagious with direct contact with the blisters (and the person gets chicken pox, not shingles). Since it is in an area that it covered, if you wash your hands well and don't scratch it should be OK. By Saturday you should be well under control with the Valtrex anyway. You may want to give a heads up to the guests, though, in case anyone would have problems with chicken pox.

:yeahthat:

I had shingles a few years ago. I started antivirals within 24 hrs and really didn't have any pain and just mild/tolerable itching (on my leg). I was told that the antivirals reduce the severity of the symptoms and the rash. I was also told that it is only contagious via direct contact with the open rash, and that the person gets CP, not shingles.

I would think that if rash remains on your back, you should be OK to BF. And, yeah, I would let your guests know, but I would think the party would be OK too (assuming you feel OK enough to be hostess with the mostess).

Hope you feel better!

dr mom
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
:yeahthat: to pretty much everything that's already been said. Here's my two cents worth on shingles...

Shingles is not anywhere near as contagious as chickenpox, but it is the same virus. Anyone who is exposed to the fluid from inside the blisters can potentially catch chickenpox, if they have not already had it (an infant) or been vaccinated. I would wash-wash-wash your hands, but I would also continue nursing on demand - the risk of catching chickenpox from casual contact during nursing is pretty low (if the rash stays on your back) and you will be passing antibodies on to your nursling.

The sooner you start Valtrex, the better your outcome - hopefully you won't have extreme long-lasting pain, shingles can be pretty awful, but fortunately you started treatment right away so will probably have a milder case.

The itching is beastly - you can try hydrocortisone cream over the counter, or get a stronger corticosteroid cream from your doctor - when you have to scratch or go mad, try putting an ice cube directly on the rash to "block" the itching. Wear loose cotton clothes, if a bra rubs against the rash, you may want to go braless for a few days.

It might spread, if so it will stay within a dermatome (one-sided region of skin confined to a single sensory nerve) and won't go to the other side of your body, but could move from back to front. In that situation, I personally would continue to BF if at all possible, certainly on the unaffected side, and I would try to nurse on the affected side unless there were blisters on the breast or the pain was too great. YMMV, you will want to discuss the possible infection risk to your nursling with your doctor or lactation consultant. You can definitely nurse on the unaffected side, you may want to pump and dump on the affected side if the rash spreads to your breast.

Usual course is variable, anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks, depending on severity.

If you wash your hands thoroughly, you can still make the cake if you feel up to it. I think the party is fine, assuming you are fastidious about handwashing and don't plan to rub your rash on the party guests. ;)

I hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Mamma2004
06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
No advice for you, Beth (both my DH and best friend endured shingles and although it was not fun, they did fine!) - I just wanted to wish you a very speedy recovery!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2008, 10:42 PM
I :love5: this board. Thank you so much for the advice, good wishes and every scrap of info you have shared with me. I appreciate it so much!

Beth

KBecks
06-19-2008, 12:24 AM
I had shingles after having John... maybe when he was only a few months old. They were under my breasts kind of where the bra band would go. I did not BF with them in that location, I might have a little and put a barrier there, but I think I also pumped to avoid contact. It's all kind of a blur now.

For me the shingles did not spread too much and it was yucky. I was concerned about contagiousness but we didn't have problems. DH was freaked that he would get chicken pox.

I hope you get better soon.

stella
06-19-2008, 01:00 AM
I had shingles after having John... maybe when he was only a few months old. They were under my breasts kind of where the bra band would go. I did not BF with them in that location, I might have a little and put a barrier there, but I think I also pumped to avoid contact. It's all kind of a blur now.

For me the shingles did not spread too much and it was yucky. I was concerned about contagiousness but we didn't have problems. DH was freaked that he would get chicken pox.

I hope you get better soon.

This is what happened to me. My baby was 2 weeks old when I realized I had shingles - and they were right where Karen described - under the bra band along the front and side.

Chicken pox is a problem for a tiny infant because it can have complications. Luckily your little one is older. I was advised to keep the baby AWAY from the rash, but to keep nursing so that he would get my antibodies to the virus. I took valtrex.

I wore those Target nursing tanks 24/7 and he never made contact with my skin during that time. If I was wearing a bra instead, I tucked a dishtowel into the band to cover the rash. It hurt like crazy to nurse during that time, like needles in my breast, so I did a lot of pumping. I was miserable, but luckily the baby never contracted the CP, so I felt great about that. I washed my hands a lot.

It was a tough time - I hope the valtrex gets it in check quickly. It worked well for me.