PDA

View Full Version : Read this and tell me how to respond...

mom2binsd
06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Below is a response that a mom on Mamasource got when she was asked whether she should continue to use a 5pt harness or go to a booster for her 4 1/2 year old child...she also stated her child had a seat that harnessed to 65 pounds but the child was saying she was uncomfortable and wanted a booster like her friends...I of course suggested either a HWH like the Nautilus or Frontier or some good high back boosters with pro's and con's of each...then I read this doozy of a response!

This is not my response!!! But gosh it's full of errors!!!

When I went to a car seat safety check, I was told by a Fireman and a State Farm Auto Insurance Claims Adjuster that when your child's shoulders (regardless of weight & age)are higher than the shoulder straps in your car seat, it's time for a booster seat. Now depending on what type of seats you have in your vehicle is what kind of booster seat is the safest. For bucket seats and captains chairs a no back booster seat is the safest. I was told it's very dangerous to have a high back on a high back or a booster seat with a snap down padding over the lap (not sure what their called).

My children are very tall(90%) and have been out of their carseats since 3 1/2.

SO should I send this mom an email with accurate info!!!

TIA

Joolsplus2
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Ugh, talk about just knowing enough to be dangerous.

Yes, obviously you should NEVER use a seat above the top slots (except in the Radian which allows it), but am I really supposed to put my 2 yo who's too tall for the ComfortSport in a booster at the same time I put my 6 yo who's too tall for a Marathon into a booster? They've missed the whole fact that seats come in a HUGE variety of sizes!
Injury data are clear that kids must be in a harness to at least age 4, preferably 5 and older, to prevent severe head and abdominal injuries. If your child gets too big for a small convertible seat before age 4 or 5, then you must buy a bigger harnessed seat.
If that 4.5 yo happens to be in the Cosco Apex/Alpha Elite with the short crotch strap, encourage the mom to call Dorel and get the longer one. She also needs to be reminded that she is the parent, she's in charge of his safety. Boosters aren't as safe as harnesses, so it's not a child's choice to make. Find the Kyle David Miller video on Youtube and post that.

So that's an incoherent bunch of thoughts...edit or paraphrase or whatever seems to work :love5:

801kelle
06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Beth I would copy and paste that whole email we put together on carseat/boosterseat education. That includes all the links to articles that state what is safest, including car crash test video clips. I know your frustration. I had a friend who's brother in law is a fireman and told her that 5 point harnesses aren't safe because they can cause them to have more neck injuries and she had her little son in a BACKLESS BOOSTER..