PDA

View Full Version : Big sister gift from new baby?

smiley525
06-18-2008, 09:07 PM
What should the new baby bring for the big sister-she is 2.5. Any ideas, need to buy ASAP!

CiderLogan
06-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Really anything she would enjoy - it doesn't have to be sentimental or big-sister-ish. DD2 "got" DD1 some Thomas trains because DD1 was into them at the time (we got her Annie and Clarabel since DD2s name is Clara, but that fact didn't interest her as much as I thought it might). Definitely get her a big sister shirt to wear in those early days, either from the baby or you. How about a new baby doll, or, if she already has a million like my girls, some baby doll accessories so she can feed and diaper the dolls while you take care of the new one?

new_mommy25
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I would get whatever she is into. When my DD was born DS was really into trains. He got the Sodor Scrub and Shine. :)

Other good things are projects she can do quietly or independently while baby is napping or nursing. Snap beads, lacing cards or beads, puzzles, coloring/sticker book, Leapfrog fridge magnets, etc.

hez
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Yup-- whatever they're into. DD got DS (4 1/2) a Leapster game, which he happily played while visiting at the hospital, when he wasn't holding her or cuddling with one of us.

ellies mom
06-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Yep, definitely something she is into. DD2 "gave" DD1 the Mimzy bunny she had been wanting for months (they were sold out for ages). I figured it would definitely score points for the little sister.

sarahsthreads
06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I ordered a superhero cape from etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5058462). But I do know that DD wants one because I've gotten a few in the past for her cousins. I figure she'll be a "super big sister", plus she loves dress-up clothes.

I also picked up a baby calico critter, because she loves those little animals to pieces. I'll probably get a few other little things like that (and maybe some stickers, coloring books, etc.) just to have on hand when people bring gifts for DD2, so DD1 doesn't feel too left out. (Although she loves unwrapping gifts enough that she probably won't care as long as she gets to open DD2's presents.)

Sarah :)

MommyAllison
06-19-2008, 04:59 PM
We got our 2.5 yo a custom big sister shirt and matching hairbow from www.hyenacart.com/ramiebabydesigns as the official gift from DS. We also had a bag of individually wrapped smaller things that she could open as needed (Sandra Boynton books, sticker book, new clothes for her doll, play food, etc) but we didn't need more than a couple of those - she adjusted much more easily than we expected!

mnosky1
06-21-2008, 11:05 PM
We bought 2 little playmobile family sets - baby, crib, stroller, parents siblings. DD was 4.5 though and thought it was funny that we said it was from the baby, "You're silly, the baby can't buy gifts".
She did LOVE the embroidered big sister, baby sister shirts we bought form an Ebay seller though.
Michelle

Emmas Mom
06-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Our little DD gave her big sister (who was also 2.5) an Elmo DVD...the one with Families in it. They still watch it together occasionally. :)