PDA

View Full Version : DS broke his wrist!!!! uggghh! watch out for the monkey bars!!!

daisy1234
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
My 6 yo fell off the swingset....monkey bars!!....broke to bones in his lower arm....he'll be in a cast for 3 weeks. WE had to cancel camp this week. We have a beach vacation scheduled fopr next week....I think we will postpone??? anyone go to the beach with a cast? I just don't see how we can keep him dry and sand free and still have fun! Anyway....ladies please watch your kids carefully on the monkey bars! It was when I stepped away for a minute! maybe 40 seconds...then boom he was on the floor! In the ER the x-ray tech said...I bet he fell of the monkey bars? she said shhe sees this daily! His fracture is the most common of the summer....they aqssured me it will heal fast...3 weeks! I guess that is better then 6 weeks! :) Now I have to keep my two busy!

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Big (((((hugs))))) to your little guy! I hope he recovers quickly. My ds is still too afraid to try the monkey bars so I guess I am lucky! No advice though, sorry.

Beth

sdjeppa
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Hugs! My son broke his wrist last summer (he was 3). Were you able to get the cast that can get wet? There is a "waterproof" cast (the inside material is goretex instead of cotton). DS couldn't have that one last year, his was a "spiral fracture" and was set at an angle (I begged for it LOL). he had his cast for 4 weeks and then a brace for 1 week.

I would recommend postponing the beach...if sand gets in there, it will hurt, and it would be hard for him to be there and not play :)

candybomiller
06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Big hugs Amy! Luckily three weeks isn't forever, it'll just feel like it!

Corie
06-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I fractured my wrist in elementary school on the monkeybars.

And now, my 6 yr. old daughter has inherited my love for the
monkeybars. Hopefully, she hangs on tighter!

shilo
06-19-2008, 06:09 PM
hugs to you and your little guy. no fun :(. hope he has a great summer in spite of his cast!

lori

DrSally
06-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Oh, I sorry! What a bummer. When I was a kid I was hanging onto the top of our metal swingset with my hands and fell off and pulled a muscle or something (not the same as broken bones!). I had to go to swimming class with one arm disabled.

DrSally
06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Hugs! My son broke his wrist last summer (he was 3). Were you able to get the cast that can get wet? There is a "waterproof" cast (the inside material is goretex instead of cotton). DS couldn't have that one last year, his was a "spiral fracture" and was set at an angle (I begged for it LOL). he had his cast for 4 weeks and then a brace for 1 week.

I would recommend postponing the beach...if sand gets in there, it will hurt, and it would be hard for him to be there and not play :)

I agree, it will be hard for him to be there and not play.

Tondi G
06-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Ahhh I am no stranger to little boys with broken arms! My DS has done it 3 times... right elbow (needed surgery), left forearm (both bones) right forearm close to the wrist (one bone). It is harder on US than it is on them with the cast! I highly recommend the gortex lining in the cast!

Do NOT go to the beach. You will not be able to keep sand out and it will be AWFUL for him if he gets sand inside the cast!

Don't bet on only 3 weeks in the cast! We were told with both forearms that he might only be in it for 4 weeks... the first time the ortho decided to be cautious and keep him in it another 2 weeks.... but he did change it cause it was dirty and stinking! The second time he wore it for 4 weeks but it was tender when he got it off.... personally I was worried and almost wanted them to keep it on so it could heal longer.... DS was happy to get it off though!

everyone in the Orthopedic surgeons office we frequent said that "monkey Bars" are the #1 reason for broken arms in children..... know what the new second up and coming reason is "wearing and falling in CROCS!"

Grocery store plastic bags are great for arm coverage while you bathe them... in soap up, shampoo, rinse and get out! Their hands get hot and sweaty while you do it..... my DS repeatedly asked "are you done, can I take the bag off" while he was getting clean! Baths went really quick for those 4-6 weeks!

Good Luck..... Chopsticks are really great for getting the itchies that develop down in the cast..... the hair dryer on cool is also nice for helping them cool down!

~Tondi