PDA

View Full Version : Hershey PA Trip Ideas Needed

kwlargop
06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
We're taking a last minute trip to Hershey PA area this weekend and I was looking for any ideas or receommendations of things to see or not see in Hershey. Specifically things that are located within Hershey Theme Park.

Thanks,
Karla

daisy1234
06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
We just got back! Hershey is so great! We were only there one day...we spent 9 hours in the park with a 3 and 6 year old! Both went on trailblazer.....my two loved this little cooster! Get there when the park opens...they measure the kids as candy bars and give them a little treat! My little one was a hershey kiss and my oldest was a reese cup! That was fun! I love dthat the park had a lot of shade! WE stayed away from the water park....just too but for my two...I was afraid I'd lose one! :) I would wear a bathing suit or sunshirt becuase many of the rides you can get wet on ie river rapids! You have to be a reese cup or above to ride that! My son LOVED it! DH wished he had his suit on! There are a lot of rides for the little ones which is why I just love this park! We did choc world on the way out...just the free ride! If you are doing more then one day there can be alot to do in the area....the Hershey zoo is a nice morning thing....we did that on a different trip. Have fun! Please ask any questions and I can try to answer! Also they do let you bring in water bottles and small snacks for the kids....if you wantt o pack a lunch you have to leave it in the car! Park food is expensive. We brought a lot in but we ended up spending at least $50 on drinks and food! Their Lemonade was delicious!...we watered it down for the kids and they still loved it!

daisy1234
06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Alos....keep in mind that it is a VERY hill and Very large park...we did a lot of walking! I now know after this trip we are ready for Disney! WE stayed at Willow Valley...about 40 min away and had a great time! I think there is an unofficial Hershey Park site...search Hershey boards and you'll find it...good info there!

jayali
06-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I just booked this for the end of August. We will be staying at Hershey Lodge. I only got a one day pass for Hershey - maybe I should have done a two day. DS is 4 and not very adventurous - is the coaster tame enough for my little chicken? As far as eating, do we need to make reservations somewhere, like in Disney? I did sign up up for the "character" breakfast but was wondering if places will be crowded for lunch.

Did you do any other things in the area. I heard that Dutch Wonderland was also good for smaller ones so wasn't sure if we should do that one day and Hershey the other day.

kwlargop
06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, we had a great time.

lexie's mom
06-28-2008, 12:13 AM
My DD (age 2 1/2 last summer) loved smelling all the flowers. There was also a butterfly house that was beautiful. When we walked in a butterfly actually landed on my shirt. My DD loved it everything. But, she is the type to "take time to smell the roses" literally! We dressed her up in a Janie and Jack white dress and took tons of pics and made a gorgeous Shutterfly book. (We actually gave one to MIL and she cried when she looked at it. Not sure how we could top that this year.)

We also did the trolley ride and DD still talks about it. They hand out different candy throughout the tour and it is interesting with the 2 actors/tourguides signing.

Have fun! We are looking forward to going back this summer. There are also coupons that I found at Wendy's/

Stacey
mom to Alexa and one on the way...due 12/2

Jen841
07-08-2008, 08:36 PM
We got passes fro Hershey for bdays this year. Need to schedule a trip there. Anxious to do Dutch Wonderland too. We did the later before, but during their Christmas event, so we want to see it in the summer. We live 45 or so min from DW and everyone raves about it.

Any hotels around Hershey anyone recommends? We are thinking of making it a night away even though we are in daytrip distance.

lexie's mom
07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Crowne Plaza (I think that it is on 2nd St)!!!!!!!! The lobby is beautiful but the rooms were not renovated and disgusting. There was ever chipped paint in the air conditioning units.

Stacey

overcome
07-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Any hotels around Hershey anyone recommends? We are thinking of making it a night away even though we are in daytrip distance.

I would try staying OUTSIDE of the Hershey/Hummelstown area, for two reasons. They are almost always booked for the whole summer, esp. if it is a weekend and they are much more expensive.

Look for hotels in Grantville (closer to Heshey) or Elizabethtown (little further from Hershey, but a little closer to Dutch Wonderland).

We are staying in Grantville in August (10 min tops from hershey) at the Hampton Inn. I believe it is $130 a night, compared to Holiday Inn Express in Hummelstown (right next door to Hershey...kids there attend Hershey Elementary) for $200 a night.

GL

Jen841
09-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Staying at TownePlace Suites.
The plan now...
Park Sat. with dinner at Kit Kat Cafe at Chocolate World
Sun. Chocolate World and do the thing you wear the hats with

Any advise? Not going anything water even if they are open (recovering from and ear infection with #1.)

Jen841
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Great place. Clean, no super long waits,...

Will go again, and will avoid peak times.

Some info in hopes that it helps someone...
Kids 3 and 5
Kiss and Reese Cup
Arrived at 10:30, and left at 7:30
Did not have time to do ZooAmerica or Kissing Tower
Did watch Seal Lion show (kids loved)
There were rides we could all do, and we did split up for a bit
Ate lunch at a foodcourt by the Boardwalk (which was closed - seasonal)
Dinner we ate at Fiesta Mexicana in Harrisburg area (close to our hotel)
Hotel was great
Did check out the Hershey Campground cabins, may try that next time as we want a camping experience, but are not ready to tent it.
Did the park with a single jog stroller, easy placed to leave strollers at rides
VERY Clean
Not Chocolate overkill

Sunday did Chocolate World - did the $9.99 picture and gear of kisses for each child.
Did the free ride (some did it twice)
Bought chocolate (tour dumps you into the gift store)
Foodcourt looked great, but did not eat there (we arrived shortly after 9am)
Did not do the 3-D show

Great place for an escape. Next time would allow 2 days for the park. Met people from NYC, DC, Pittsburgh and Philly.