PDA

View Full Version : 3 seats in a rental car in the UK-help!

Anya
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
We are traveling to the UK very soon. My children are 4.75 (41 pounds), 3 years (32 pounds) and 14 months (20 pounds). The older two ride in Wizards FF and the baby rides in a Marathon RF.

We are renting a "full size" rental car when we get there. Cars tend to be smaller over there and we are concerned about fitting the 3 seats. I know when they are puzzled with at least one RF, that can help. This is obviously an 8 hour international flight and so we'll be exhausted when we get there. We can't afford to get a bigger car (van or SUV). If the seats don't fit, we'll be stuck with what do we do with a big carseat that doesn't fit.

So, do you think its very likely at all that we could fit all 3 seats if they are puzzled? A friend suggested the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster for my almost 5 yo as it is narrower (from what I have read, the booster is 10.5 inches wide and the Marathon bases are 14.5 inches wide). Is 4 inches going to make that much of a difference?

I'd prefer my dd being in a 5 pt harness, but I am okay with her in a booster and shoulder belt just for this trip. Albee Baby has the booster for only $29 right now, but I'd rather not spend the $ if our carseat will work. What would you do? I need to order the booster today because we leave in 8 days. Thanks!

o_mom
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I would get a RideSafer travel vest for the oldest. I'm betting that the center back seat will have a shoulder belt (requires shoulder belt or top tether, no top tethers in UK, I think). I also might consider a couple of Cosco Sceneras instead of the Wizards - they are lighter and narrower. Take the 3 yo to Target to make sure he/she fits.

Anya
06-19-2008, 02:49 PM
The vest looks neat, but I am afraid we can't spend $100 right now. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster is on sale for $30 at albee baby right now. Do you think that plus the 2 Britax seats would fit?

Joolsplus2
06-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Definitely maybe.
Can't tell without seeing the car, of course :(.

Anya
06-20-2008, 09:52 AM
So you all are saying the only sure way to know we can all fit in the same car is to get the Safe Travel vest?

I am down to the wire now. I am have tried to order the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster from Albee Baby b/c it was on sale, but the online ordering isn't working and when I call, no one answers. We leave for London a week from today and live in Texas, so even if I ordered it today, I am not sure it would arrive on time. I need it by Thursday night. So I'd have to pay extra shipping and now am thinking maybe I should just get the vest.

Is it easy to use? Is it really safe for a 4 yo? I am used to having them in the big Britax seats.

does anyone know who has it the cheapest and with fast shipping/processing? thanks!

Anya
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the vest from www.travelingwithkids.com since they have free shipping and since they are a travel website, they ask when you're traveling and make sure it will arrive in time. They are on the west coast, so hopefully it will get here in time.

I decided I'll just have to cut my spending on some other things. We'd rather have the vest for travel than a discontinued booster that's much heftier to cart along.

Thanks everyone!

californiagirl
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I think that's a great choice. It's easy to fit 3 across with the vest. It's a pain to buckle in, but suddenly, your 4 year old is the size of -- a 4 year old! (Well, unless you have a giant child like mine, but honestly, even so, she's like half the width of a car seat.)

It took us a while to get good at strapping it in, but when it's done right (you have to get the shoulder strap under the whole shoulder piece, not just the little sticky-up bits), it's rock-solid.

Do the seats first, then the kid in the vest, then the kids into the seats. It's still not the easiest or most graceful process, but otherwise you're going to be smashing somebody's body parts.