PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood or extra bedroom?

punkrockmama
06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
One of my dear friends is buying a house with her partner (having one built actually-how this developed I have no idea :)). It's totally crazy and happy and fun because I never thought she'd do anything like this and she used to think I was nuts for getting married and having kids. *sniff* My friends are growing up.

Anywhoo she called me yesterday slightly freaking out. They can't decide between a fourth bedroom or hardwood through out. They can't afford to do both.

So if you had to choose, which would it be? A four bedroom home with hardwood throughout the downstairs and carpet from the stairs on up. Or a three bedroom home with hardwood top to bottom w/ carpet stairs?

We have hardwood in our house but that was Jim's bag......

Thanks for any opinions and thoughts!

Melaine
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Ohhhh interesting question....I have to be the most indecisive person ever and that would lead me debating for a LOOOONG time. I might chose to get a cheaper laminate and try to still include the additional bedroom, but there I go again cheaping out...usually not the best choice!

schums
06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
4 bedrooms with hardwood on the first floor. You can always put hardwood on the second floor later on, but adding a 4th bedroom in a few years would be hard/impossible and $$$.

khm
06-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd do 4 bedrooms. They can redo the floors later, when the carpet wears out or whenever they can afford to.

It's pretty hard to add another bedroom.

Our neighbors have three, and they really regret it. (I hope not enough to move, because I ADORE them.) Another friend just bought an empty lot to build their 4 bedroom on, and they'll sell the 3. Three bedroom houses sit on the market for quite a bit longer. (This is in a VERY suburban area.)

One thing would be if there is room in the basement for that additional bedroom? If so, then having that space "in the wings" might be an option. But, in my area, 3 up/1 down houses weren't as popular as regular 4 bedroom houses, and the difference in value was stark.

StantonHyde
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I like having carpet in the BRs. It is just softer. Downstairs, where the traffic is tougher, hws make sense.

We are actually going to take out the carpet in our LR, DR and put in hardwoods (and the tile in the kitchen/entry has to go to be hardwoods too).

We actually had to remodel our house because it was 2 up and 2 down. We took the garage and made a third BR and a play room. Then we made the BR on the other side of the house (down) into a 3 car garage. It was a PITA and expensive. So go for the 4th BR!!!

We did put Pergo in our playroom and it really does look nice, plus it is indestructible--we did the 25 years stuff that is practically industrial and I was really surprised at how nice it looks. (and I am a hard woods lover) With little kids, I might look at doing Pergo upstairs and hardwoods down. Depends on what is cheaper--carpet or Pergo. But the Pergo will look better than carpet with kids!!!

JBaxter
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
4th bedroom definately. If for nothing else resale. Like the pp has said you can add hardwood easier than a bedroom.

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
No doubt for me that I would choose a 4th bedroom. Their finances could change in a few years (or they could save up) and they could later add hardwoods. I bet a 4th bedroom has better resale value. Buy a house for it's bones, imo, because you can make cosmetic changes later.

Beth

o_mom
06-19-2008, 01:35 PM
4th bedroom, no question. As PPs said, you can always add the floors later for not much more than the cost would be now, but it is way more expensive to add a room later.

ETA: Since they are building - ask the builder about framing the 4th BR, but leaving it unfinished depending on the floorplan. That may save enough to do the hardwoods now. An unfinished BR makes a nice storage space :)

birdie75
06-19-2008, 01:35 PM
THe 4th bedroom, you can always add hardwood later as an upgrade as you have money for it. Adding a 4th bedroom however is much more difficult.

KBecks
06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
4th bedroom, no doubt about it.

KrisM
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
A 4th bedroom for sure.

boolady
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Fourth bedroom, no doubt about it.

citymama
06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I'll be the dissenter and say: hardwood!

new_mommy25
06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Absolutely 4 bedrooms.

Globetrotter
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Definitely a 4th bedroom. They can always add laminate flooring later! For that matter, I would just add laminate throughout as it's much less expensive and way more durable (we love ours!).

Kris

GeekLady
06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
4th bedroom, hardwood upstairs can make things extremely noisy downstairs.

Corie
06-19-2008, 04:00 PM
4 bedrooms with hardwood on the first floor. You can always put hardwood on the second floor later on, but adding a 4th bedroom in a few years would be hard/impossible and $$$.

My thoughts exactly!

chinook
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Ditto all the PP's about the 4th bedroom - I'd do that for sure.

We have wood throughout now and in our new house we're going back to carpet upstairs. I've not been crazy about the wood in the bedrooms or hallway - too loud and doesn't feel cozy.

Plus, my favorite interior designer on TV (Sarah Richardson) always says to put carpet in the bedrooms too! :)

vludmilla
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I would think that you could always add hardwood floors later but it would be more difficult to add a fourth bedroom.

elektra
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Yup. 4th bedroom. I have hardwood throughout my 4 bedroom home but carpet it kind of cozier in bedrooms anyway.

DrSally
06-19-2008, 04:26 PM
In this market, I wouldn't be building. You can get a much better value with tons on upgrades on an empty spec home for the same cost, but that's a different story...

Given her choices, I would choose a 4th br. It will add more value to the home and room to expand. We had all hardwood on the main level and up the stairs, and in the upstairs hallway. It's not as great as it seems. Rugs cost a lot and it was colder and more echoey, and a lot of dust bunnies. I now have hardwood only in the foyer and kitchen and 1/2 bath and love it.

elephantmeg
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
4 bedrooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C99
06-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Me? I'd do hardwood, but that is because w2w makes me wheeze. My DH would probably overrule me and go for the 4th bedroom.

hillview
06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Extra bedroom. You can always do hardwood when you have the $. And I LOVE hardwood!!
/hillary

Bean606
06-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Definitely the 4th bedroom. You can always put down hardwood floors later, or some very nice facsimile of them. It is a lot harder, IMO, to add rooms.

kransden
06-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I love hardwood and had it everywhere in my old house. It is just so much cleaner. My new house has disgusting carpeting. (I have old cats :( ) My plan is to redo the rooms eventually. So my vote is to get the extra bedroom, it just adds so much to the resale value.