PDA

View Full Version : He's here.... Update w/ story and pics

kellyd
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Aiden Matthew arrived at 2:28 yesterday morning. 3 weeks early, after 18 hours of totally natural labor and delivery 7# 6oz. of beautiful perfect baby. My water broke quite spectacularly at 8:28am Tuesday morning.

I'll update more later... we're still in the hospital now and will be heading home tomorrow.

Nursing is going ok... he seems to only like one side, we're having a really tough time with the left side.

I won the decision on circing the lil one. We won't be doing it. YAY!!

Here's the whole story - warning - LONG

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 I was in the process of dropping off my DH’s car to have some work done when my water broke… quite spectacularly at 8:28 am as I was climbing into a co workers car for the remainder of the ride to work. Needless to say Lisa instead drove me to meet up with Bill and then we went home to pack, and I HAD to change. At this point we were 36 weeks and 6 days. My midwife Tina suggested we stop for breakfast as I wouldn’t be allowed to eat once at the hospital. She told us not to rush in, so we took our time. At about 10:15 we finished packing and left the house, I decided I wanted a bottle of water and to stop at my MIL’s office why I don’t know… that’s just what I wanted… Contractions were at 21 minutes apart at this point. This was soon to change. When leaving my MIL’s office I had a contraction this was at 10:52… 4 minutes later another… 4 minutes later another, lasting from 60-90 seconds apart. We called our doula and decided rather than breakfast at Denny’s we would head to the hospital and have lunch in their cafeteria. We met up with Amy the doula at the hospital and took our time walking to the cafeteria… why is it they are always at the other end of the world from where you need to be? We had lunch, and headed up to the Birth Center. After an unending wait in the waiting room we finally got back to triage where they had one heck of a time finding the baby’s heartbeat on the monitors, this set us up for the rest of the day (Have I mentioned that my lil bug is stubborn??). They finally found the heartbeat and said they’d be back in a bit to check. Having my water break on it’s own regardless of how the baby was facing have me the most horrific back labor I could have imagined… which was exactly what I didn’t want because I have a super sensitive back.
My midwife came in to check me at 3:!5 and I was 3cm 80% effaced and +1 station. My cervix itself was still super high, so having her check me was not the most comfortable thing. DH said he though she was going to climb in me. She said that tall women have high cervix’s… she felt really bad for the pain… but it was a necessary evil. Shortly after that we moved to our LDR where they hooked me up AGAIN to the monitors and told me they needed to get ½ an hour of good monitoring and then we could go to intermittent they way we had planned. The bug had different ideas tho, we’d almost be through the 30 minutes and he would disappear from the monitors so we’d have to start all over again. My midwife didn’t want to go right to an internal monitor because she knew with the back pain I would need to be able to move around. After an hour and a ½ of continuous monitoring they finally gave the ok for me to get disconnected and move around. That was some blessed relief. I continued laboring with my husband and doula for several more hours. Around 8:00 that night my in laws came and then my grandmother showed to check on me. It was a bit distracting, but I regained focus and labored on. Everyone kept telling me how impressed they were at how I was able to relax between contractions. They were anywhere from 2-4 minutes apart at this point and VERY intense. The midwife checked me again at 10 pm and I was at 7 cm, 90% effaced and -1 station. That was the most pain I had felt up to that point but I was very glad to hear how well we’d progressed.
Things got very intense from that point on. I guarantee I wouldn’t have been able to do it without Bill. He breathed with me, I used his eyes to focus, it was an incredibly powerful time for both of us. I did yell at him once because he kept walking away from me between contractions, he told me the next day that it was because he was trying not to pass out  At about 12:30 I started feeling the urge to push with just about every contraction so we paged the midwife about 10-15 minutes later. She came in at 1:00 am and after checking me told me there was only a little lip of cervix and I was ready to push! That was when I panicked I told them I didn’t know how to!!! They said they would tell me exactly what to do. I pushed for an incredible hour and 20 minutes. At one point the baby’s heartrate dropped into the 80’s and the nurse and midwife told me I had to roll onto my side… I was in the middle of a contraction and told them I couldn’t, then the nurse told me why and I was on my side so fast I don’t even remember moving. At that point my contractions were about a minute 15 apart, and lasting a minute, I didn’t have time to catch my breath and neither did the baby. I did need oxygen during the pushing, contractions were so fast and so intense at times that my surroundings were getting blurry and I couldn’t catch my breath. Then finally at 2:28 am, 18 hours after my labor began I pushed Aiden Matthew into the world. He practically shot out in one push. They had to have me stop and breathe and let my body do its thing because the rest of him just slid out on it’s own. I had a small tear of the perineum, but it only needed 2 stitches. He was 7# 6 oz. and 20” long. They handed him to me right away and said, it’s a boy! What a surprise, and so worth the wait. Daddy cut the cord and then when they had to stitch me up daddy got to hold him and took him from the nurse right away. He wasn’t nervous at all. For both of us it just felt right.

Now here we are six days later and I have NO idea how I’d get along without him. He’s the most perfect person in the world. Breastfeeding is a HUGE challenge. He USUALLY latches on the right with no problem, but I’m having a terrible time getting him on the left breast. We were at the pediatrician yesterday and he’s lost a whole pound, so for today they have me supplementing with formula. I’m not sure what to think about that. He nurses for 20 minutes or so… and then downs 2 full oz of formula every 2-3 hours. He’s not spitting anything back up, and shows signs of being hungry as soon as he wakes. I’m starting to wonder just how much he’s getting from me…

There are pics posted on our blog - babyd.mrdsdesk.net

zephyr
06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Congratulations! And welcome little Aiden!!

buddyleebaby
06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Congratulations!!!

Welcome to your sweet little man!:bighand:

mamaoftwins
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Congrats!!! And best wishes for settling in with your new little one.

Great name - DS#2 is Aidan.

:)

KBecks
06-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

wendmatt
06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Congratulations and welcome Aiden. Hang in there with the left side, it'll get better.

Glizmo
06-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Congratulations!! Very nice name! :D

ThreeofUs
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the world Aiden!

lisams
06-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Congratulations and welcome Aiden!! Sounds like you had a beautiful delivery. Enjoy your babymoon!

shilo
06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
congratulations mama! welcome to the world little aiden!

lori

maestramommy
06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Congratulations Kelly! Bfing will get easier, so hang in there! Welcom Aiden!

mamicka
06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome, Aidan! Congrats, Mama!

Wife_and_mommy
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Congratulations!!

Hooray for AM staying intact.:cheerleader1:

elektra
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Congratulations!

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the world, Aiden! :) I can't wait to hear your birth story. Enjoy your baby moon.

Beth

Pennylane
06-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Congrats on the arrival of your new little boy!

Ann

ShanaMama
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Congratulations! Wanna send some early delivery vibes over here? ;)
Welcome to the world, Aiden.

eliasmom
06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Congratulations and welcome little Aiden!

brittone2
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Congratulations!! Welcome baby Aiden!

Having an intact newborn is so nice and easy :)

elephantmeg
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
congratulations and welcome Aiden! I hope nursing gets better soon. I found DS did better in the football hold on one side for the first few weeks. He had torticollis and I think he couldn't get positioned right on that side.

Fairy
06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Congrats on Baby Aiden!

kijip
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Welcome Aidan and congrats to mama!

Tammy
06-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Congratulations on your new little man! Enjoy the cuddling.

JTsMom
06-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Congratulations, and welcome to the world Aiden Matthew! :cheerleader1:

kellyd
06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Updated w/ story and link to pics :)

mdb78
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
congrats! :)

MontrealMum
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Congratulations :cheerleader1: