PDA

View Full Version : **GOOD UPDATE** Peanut Alert: Mislabeled Wal-Mart Soy Nut Butter Was Peanut Butter

ilovetivo
06-20-2008, 12:09 AM
There's new info in post #7

----
KristinJ at www.kidswithfoodallergies.org (KFA), an excellent non-profit food allergy message board, bought 2 jars of Walmart's "Great Value" brand peanut-free soy butter on Tuesday, 6/17. Yesterday, 6/18, she made a sandwich using one of the jars. When she tasted her sandwich, it was actually PEANUT butter! No reaction occurred, as her son, who is pn allergic, did not eat it.

She tasted the other jar and it was soy nut butter. They had the same UPC codes, but had different sell-by dates. There were no identifying codes stamped on the jars or the foil seal. The label does say "Product of Canada" and is affixed very securely.

She quickly called The FDA*, the WalMart store (in California) and Walmart Corporate. All of whom are taking it very seriously.

Here's the thread :
"Mislabeled jar of Soynut butter from WalMart was actually PEANUT BUTTER!"
http://kidswithfoodallergies.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2540057262/m/5810091855

You can view it if you have an Associate Membership (which is free) or Family Membership.

*Instructions for contacting the FDA are on one of KFA's Resources pages (available to the general public):
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=33&title=Reporting_an_allergic_reaction_to_foods_or_d rugs

alexsmommy
06-20-2008, 07:49 AM
That is terrifying! I'm so glad she tasted it before her child took a bite. Wow.

ilovetivo
06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I should have mentioned...he's allergic to soy to, so he wouldn't have had it either way. It was for mom only.

sunriseiz
06-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. We have this at home as DS is allergic to peanuts. Sheesh!

sidmand
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
That is just so scary. Thank goodness it seems like no one was hurt, but that could have been absolutely deadly if that Mom wasn't so aware.

DrSally
06-20-2008, 04:05 PM
OMG!!!! That is terrible. Thank god she happened to taste it first. I didn't even know Walmart sold Soynut butter. Obviously most people buying it are prob allergic to peanuts. I buy mine at Trader Joes b/c of price and availability, and have never had a problem. I'm just speechless. Good thing they're taking it seriously.

ilovetivo
06-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Here's a complete update from Kristin on the KFA site: http://kidswithfoodallergies.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2540057262/m/5810091855?r=5640095855#5640095855

I have permission to post it in its entirety.

She also answers a couple people's questions later on in the thread. Remember - you can view the forum for free as an Associate Member.
:)
Julie

----
Copyright KristinJ, www.Kidswithfoodallergies.org 6/20/08

"Wal Mart, Hilton Soy Foods, and the FDA have all been so wonderful about making this a priority, that I’m able to share have some potentially comforting news about the Great Value brand soybutter that I had concerns about this week!

After speaking with the WalMart Claims Management Department today, it was determined (as I was confident it would be) that the jar I purchased on Tuesday and opened on Wednesday had not in any way been tampered with after it left the manufacturer. The agent told me I would receive a call shortly from Hilton Soy Foods, the company that manufactures the product. Within minutes, their CS agent called me and let me know that the product IS in fact soy, and there is no possibility of peanuts contaminating the product; their facility is peanut-free, and ONLY soy products are made there. Apparently, they have been working to improve their product to the point where, not only does it not need stirring, but is it less gritty, and also tastes more like peanut butter. I'd say they succeeded!

Before you roll your eyes my fine friends, listen to this: The fellow who started Hilton Soy Foods did so because he has a son who is anaphylactic to peanuts. They have been working to make this product more palatable for non-allergic individuals, in the hopes that it will be a fair substitute for those who forego peanut butter in the effort to keep their friends safe --he said that they have already gotten comments about how much it tastes like peanut butter. I asked him what I should do about the FDA’s interest in the matter, and he said that he had talked to the FDA already, but that I should call them as well. I told him that I had also shared my concerns with friends at KFA, and asked him if I could pass along the information he gave me about Hilton Soy Foods and he said, yes, absolutely, please do.

I immediately called the man I have been communicating with at the FDA, and he said that he too had talked to Hilton Soy Foods. He said (as I suspected he would) that they wanted to see the investigation through until it was resolved, and that they would still arrange to pick up both jars. I expressed relief that it looked like a positive outcome, but that I was also concerned about the effort & man hours spent on this, all based on my concern over what I was certain was peanut butter. He was very reaffirming, saying that calling the FDA was the right thing to do, and that this is one reason they exist—to investigate concerns like mine.

I have a mix of feelings: relief that it looks as though there is probably no cause for concern, frustration that I may have unnecessarily worried other parents, and a ton of relief that I’m not the ONLY person who has been certain it was peanut butter! All I can say was that I went with my gut instinct; the way I see it, since my first response was to close the jar, mark the top of the lid with a big black X, and seal it in a baggie at the back of my fridge to keep it away from my kids, then it stands to reason that I should tell someone about it. At least >I< was the one who panicked about it tasting like PB, and not some poor kiddo eating his sandwich at school—a young person who may not have known what to do or who to tell, and may gone through his day afraid of a reaction.

The FDA investigator will be picking the jars up on Monday, and will be interviewing me about the incident. I know that it is up to them to determine whether the product is indeed safe for PA individuals, but suffice it to say I feel as though I’m getting answers, and I am DEFINITELY relieved! I will pass along whatever news I get, and I hope I have to eat my own foot. "

DrSally
06-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Wow, sounds like an excellent response! I'm glad the FDA isn't so short staffed that they can't handle these sort of things. I did think that most soy nut butter was made in peanut free facilities...Given her reaction, I bet a lot of other people have the same questions, so I wouldn't feel too bad if I were her.

set81616
06-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Please keep us updated about what the FDA says. Does anywhere besides Walmart sell this brand? If it really tastes that much like peanut butter I would consider switching since I have a cousin who is allergic and we may be moving somewhat close to her. And I definetly want to tell her mom about it.
Thanks,
Shannon

ilovetivo
06-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Shannon - i'm not sure who else sells it. It's Walmart brand, but http://www.soybutter.com/ make is.