PDA

View Full Version : BBC article on pacifier use and ear infection

brittone2
06-20-2008, 11:13 AM
I haven't read the original study and am on my way out the door in a minute, but I saw this and thought I'd post it. I realize there are studies out now saying pacifier use may help reduce SIDS, etc. and obviously everyone does what they have to do. But I thought i'd share in case anyone is interested in looking into this more extensively (and I'm not bashing paci users, okay? ;) ) Those are my disclaimers LOL ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7463911.stm

egoldber
06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Interesting. I have one thumb addict and one paci addict. :ROTFLMAO: Sarah (the thumb addict) very seldom gets ear infections. Didn't have her first one until she was 3. Amy OTOH got her first at 9 weeks (in conjunction with a bout of RSV) and she's had 3-4 since then.

sidmand
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Interesting...DS also didn't really take to the pacifier and has had two ear infections (I think, a very high tolerance for pain!) so far in three years. He does have PE tubes though (a long story). And he is a thumb sucker.

So far DD doesn't seem to really care for the pacifier. At least not the couple we've tried! And she doesn't seem to really care, so if she doesn't care, maybe I won't even try.

Although (see post below) there are good and bad to the thumb and to the pacifier!

m448
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I'll have to read in a bit but both kiddos refused pacis and didn't take bottles. Not one ear infection.

oh and neither kid took to their thumbs either. Both were definitely comfort nursers.

KrisM
06-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Interesting read.

DS sucked his fingers until he was 4. He has had one ear infection at about age 2.5.

DD uses a pacifier and is 2. She's not had an ear infection yet.

Pennylane
06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
That is interesting. All three of my dc used pacifiers until they were 2. Not one of them ever had an ear infection. My DF's children would not take a pacifier and both of her dc had ear infections, one even had tubes put in.

This is a very useful piece of research that shows use of dummies in children under the age of four who have a history of ear infections is not a good idea.

I have no history of ear infections and neither does my DH. I'll have to ask my friend about her background.

Ann