PDA

View Full Version : Setting computer limits - for YOURSELF!

niccig
06-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I've posted before about all the things I need to get done. I know have a job opportunity that won't start for a couple of months. So, it's now or never time to get caught up. Problem is, I'm a BBB and other forums addict. I use it to procrastinate. I like reading everyone else's posts, even if it doesn't pertain to my situation now, I learn things from others and later on I can use that information.

It used to be OK, but DS seems to be dropping naps and I always have appts. during preschool hours, so I seem to have even less time to do things.

Any advice/suggestions for moving away from the computer...

Thanks.

overcome
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
No advice here...but I'll be subscribing to see what others suggest. Actually I can suggest one thing...keep your computer turned off. I used to keep my computer on 24/7. Recently I have started shutting down and powering off completely to see if it makes a difference with our electric bill. I am too lazy to turn the computer on JUST to check one thing. It has helped a bit.

I am hopelessly addicted to the Internet. I've said this before...for me it is a stress reliever. It's similar to someone having a cigarette when they are stressed...it relaxes me.

mamalia
06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Go on vacation, LOL. The problem is you then want to catch up on old posts. You could block the websites (I actually don't know how but I think it's possible). I found that it helps to change habits...if computer time is usually after dinner or during DC's tv programs then you could make a conscious effort to force yourself into doing something else during those times - read books, scrapbook, etc.

Sometimes I will limit myself to only looking at one forum, e.g. the bargains boards of BBB. You're less likely to get sucked into reading all the posts.

sidmand
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I am really bad, particularly since I also work on the computer.

But now I try to limit my BBB time and other *frivolous* time to when I'm pumping! I figure I'd just be watching TV or something else then, and so I allow myself unlimited surfing.

Maybe limit yourself to just naps (if those exist) or some set period of time (like an hour to just do whatever) and then don't go on any other time.

Of course I don't always take my own advice! But the busier I am with work, etc., I really try not to go on the boards at all. Or check once a day instead of many many times a day.

niccig
06-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I'll try limiting time on the computer to certain times of the day. Like you, I do computer work, so it's difficult and I love to procrastinate. I think I'll set a timer and get strict with myself.

traumarn
06-22-2008, 04:52 AM
i am NOT addicted....i can quit anytime i want to!ROTFLMAO:

BeachBum
06-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I set a timer any only surf during DSs nap time, or when DH is home watching DS. I mean, I am on right now at 7 am (and have been for a bit) but everyone else is sleeping still so I don't think it is a problem.

I don't have to set the timer everyday, but there are occasions when I find myself wasting so much time.