PDA

View Full Version : Infertility and Common cleaning chemicals

1964pandora
06-20-2008, 01:37 PM
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080618/full/453964a.html

Two chemicals widely used in cleaning products cause infertility and birth defects in mice whose cages come into contact with them. I was struck by how DRAMATICALLY the chemicals affected mice fertility.

I had been really, really good and was only using natural cleaning products, but I allowed Clorox wipes to creep back into my life simply for their ease of use. The two active ingredients in Clorox wipes are the two chemicals that are known to cause infertility and birth defects in mice.

Anyway, I thought I would post this for anyone who wants to get pregnant or is experiencing infertility. Hey, I know it's only been shown in mice, but I for one believe that these chemicals must also cause infertility problems in humans.

Susan

brittone2
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for sharing. One more way our systems are getting bombarded with fertility-affecting chemicals :( When you start thinking of the number of fertility-affecting chemicals we're exposed to, and then think about how their interactions with one another are only starting to be studied, it is maddening.

I appreciate you posting the link.

kijip
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
As someone with reccurent miscarriages, it was something that prompted me to look more carefully at the things in my house and around me like cleaning products and the food I eat. My big one was caffiene and while this might not be the only reason I am now almost 10 weeks along, I did break a SERIOUS caffiene addiction in Jan 08.

toothfairy
06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Where can I find a list of cleaning products that contain these chemicals?

Amy

JBaxter
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
There was a segment on the today show about chinese medicine / organic foods and fertility. I never had issue with getting pregnant until my m/c 3+yrs ago When I switched over to cleaning with less toxic stuff ( baking soda , vinegar etc) and went to a generally non processed food/ organic diet I got pregnant. go figure...

There s a great book Clean House Clean Planet by Karen Logan it gives "green" cleaning recipes

1964pandora
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
As someone with reccurent miscarriages, it was something that prompted me to look more carefully at the things in my house and around me like cleaning products and the food I eat. My big one was caffiene and while this might not be the only reason I am now almost 10 weeks along, I did break a SERIOUS caffiene addiction in Jan 08.

Katie, I also experienced numerous early miscarriages (at least 6, sadly, I lost count it was so many) when I was drinking tons of caffeine. I cut out the caffeine and was then able to have two children, so I always suspect the caffeine too. Congratulations on being 10 weeks along.

Brittone2, yes it is maddening that the two chemicals in the article are really just a crystal on the iceberg. I was also struck by how LONG the chemicals stay in our environment. I'd like to think that if I use one Clorox wipe, then use soap and water over the area to try to get rid of the chemicals in the Clorox wipe, that I'd be able to do it. I was really struck by the fact that it took "months and months" after they stopped using the chemicals for the levels to drop. One Clorox wipe goes a long, long way obviously. :(

Susan

ThreeofUs
06-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Oh, DARN it! I don't use these much, but they sure come in handy as DS learns to hit the water, not the toilet.

Darn, darn, darn.

purpleeyes
06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm guessing Mr. Clean wipes aren't so great either? ;)

Those method ones suck. Any suggestions for safe wipes? I have to have something I can quickly use!

1964pandora
06-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm guessing Mr. Clean wipes aren't so great either? ;)

Those method ones suck. Any suggestions for safe wipes? I have to have something I can quickly use!

Beth, I've obviously been struggling with the same thing. I want the convenience of a wipe I can pull out of a container, but I obviously don't want to smear poison all over my house.

My solution: I started to use Seventh Generation diaper wipes for everything. They contain Polysorbate 20, which is a relatively non-toxic detergent, and I think the citric acid in them also acts as a cleanser, so at least they contain SOME cleanser. Too bad I'm also putting vitamin E and aloe vera on my countertops, but I don't mind until some manufacturer comes up with a non-toxic wipe. Well, there is a non-toxic wipe out there, sold at places like Whole Foods, but you get a teensy amount for what you pay for them. I buy the Seventh Generation diaper wipes from Amazon and get them cheaper because I get a shipment once a month. If someone has a better idea (other than making your own, which this lazy bones will not do!) I'd love to hear it. One more thought-- I think you could use regular diaper wipes than contain alcohol. They have questionable chemicals in them, but the alcohol would work to kill more germs in the bathroom, etc.

Susan

Joolsplus2
06-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I have a spray bottle of charlie's all purpose cleaner diluted to a low strength, and dozens of microfiber (they grab germs better than cotton, from what I keep reading, but I can't find a great link for that) towels... spray spray wipe wipe and toss in the towel hamper.
It's *almost* as easy as smearing chemicals all over my counter with a disposable wipe :p

brittone2
06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I've always used cloth wipes on my kids, but some moms use homemade baby wipes (cut a roll of paper towels in half and then put in container with your own solution). These baby wipes could probably be modified into kitchen/bath cleanup types of wipes IMO. I would think you could soak them in vinegar, distilled water (to prevent funk) and some essential oils for convenient cleanup. I don't have any personal experience w/ it, but you can try googling "homemade wipes papertowel roll" or similar.

luv2bmommy
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
What do you guys think of the Green Works products when it comes to safety for use???

1964pandora
06-25-2008, 01:33 PM
What do you guys think of the Green Works products when it comes to safety for use???

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those! They sound promising, though!

Susan

jamesmom
06-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I have been using Mrs Meyers wipes for these quick cleaning situations. They are available on Amazon...

http://www.mrsmeyers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=5ca5cb34-b8ba-4bcd-a62c-5c42c334ae9b&CategoryId=4f63550e-6119-47ca-9fb0-999f00e7b7b6

I also make my own cleaners using Clean House Clean Planet recipes.