PDA

View Full Version : CNN: US working to cut preemie numbers, C-S mentioned

brittone2
06-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Nak-
Elective c/s and c/s for relatively minor reasons (for fear of liability issues) mentioned as possible contributers.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/06/20/premature.babies.ap/index.html

eta: issues w/ dating a pregnancy also mentioned (scheduling c/s before we know for sure that a baby is full term if they aren't in serious jeopardy)

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I found this part quite interesting:

"
If slightly early birth sounds like no big deal, consider: A baby's brain at 35 weeks weighs only two-thirds of what it will weigh at 40 weeks, says a dramatic "brain card" developed by the March of Dimes to educate women. Some will catch up fine, while others have learning or behavioral delays. Also, being even a few weeks early can cause initial breathing problems if lungs aren't mature enough; feeding problems; even an increased risk of SIDS.
"Most women are not really aware of how two to three weeks can make a big difference in the full development of the baby," says March of Dimes President Dr. Jennifer Howse."

There were several moms on my due date board that were having RCS and inductions done at 38 weeks despite mom and baby being healthy.
It was done then more b/c that's when mutual schedules worked. Hopefully more info like this makes a difference in the relaxed attitude about EDDs (on the early side- goodness knows so many people freak out at 40w1d "postdate").

Beth

DrSally
06-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that's interesting. I really want a spontaneous (rather than induced) vaginal birth this time. Last time I was 8 days late and the induction was really rough, in part, I think b/c my body wasn't ready. One of the OB's at my office mentioned that they would want to induce at 39 weeks if my cervix was favorable b/c of all the tearing last time. I mentioned that with the poor reliablility of EDD's, that there could be risks b/c the baby might be younger than expected (although I'm pretty certain of my conception date). She brushed it off and said the sonogram matched my EDD, so the baby would be 39 weeks and didn't think it mattered for the baby's development.