PDA

View Full Version : So would you take carseats on an 8 hr plane flight for a 3 yo and 4 yo?

Anya
06-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I wasn't planning on taking them in the cabin. I'm not sure if we can make it through the airport with 2 Wizards. I've been trying to figure out how I can make it so the 3 yo and 4 yo sleep better on the plane-looking at little pillows and such. The 14 mo baby will be in the bulkhead bassinet to sleep. We are taking a Ride Safe Vest for the 4 yo for the car but if we took 2 Wizards on the plane, the older two could sleep in those. And then I can easily adjust the harness straps for the 14 mo for the car.

Good idea? I have flow with my older 2 on an 8 hour flight before, but they were small enough that the baby was in a bassinet and the toddler was in a big Britax bouncy seat that reclined and she would sleep there (love British Air!)

Or should I just get them a pillow and bring a blanket for each of them. I just figured the headrests on the Wizards might make it easier for them to sleep without their head nodding forward.

Oh, and I know that they are safer in the seats. What I really want to know is, will it be better overall for them, more comfortable? The only downside I can see is they are more confined and we can't switch around seating quite as easily (have to move the seats).

californiagirl
06-20-2008, 03:40 PM
For me, no, I wouldn't. We switched to using a CARES harness in the airplane when DD was 3 (we share a CARES harness with another family). Now that she's 4 and 40 pounds, the FAA thinks she's just fine in a regular airplane seatbelt. We bring a blanket and a stuffed toy for her.

To be honest, I'm not sure she wouldn't sleep better in the carseat -- but making it through the airport was a real issue, particularly on our last trip when DH was on crutches...

Anya
06-20-2008, 03:56 PM
have you flown on an 8 hour + overnight flight without her carseat?

It would be much easier to get through the airport, but if they sleep well in them, its worth it for us.

californiagirl
06-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes, I've done overnight without the carseat twice (both directions across the Atlantic). She did sleep, and she ended up sleeping on me slightly less often than on the previous trip with the carseat (because without the carseat I can put her down after she falls asleep on me). We used her blanket and airplane pillows.

Anya
06-20-2008, 04:18 PM
okay, thanks!

egoldber
06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
For me, no. We flew overnight to Europe when Sarah was 3 and to Hawaii when she was 4. She slept easily in the airplane seat both times.

mom_hanna
06-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I would not, just for the fact that I would not want to lug them through the airport! You could buy some neck rest things (they make them in soft stuffed animal shapes and fun colors) so their heads don't flop around, and they are pretty comfortable too.

n2ou
06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I always fly British Airways also and used to be spoiled by either their Britax car-bouncy airplane seat or bringing my own carseat.

To my surprise, once my daughter turned past 3 they would not let me use a carseat on board anymore. I argued but they pulled out the CAA (compare to US FAA) regulation book and it clearly states :

The use of a car type or aircraft type safety seat is permitted for children between 6 months and 3 years of age.

Here is the link:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=3&pagetype=90&pageid=1344

I did not agree with this but I did understand that the flight attendant did not make the rules and therefore complied.

I flew on an American airline my next trip but am now back to BA because the connection is by far the fastest and my kids are a little older.

Simone_AZ

C99
06-22-2008, 02:15 AM
No, I would not. I took my 5-y/o on a 4.5-hour flight last weekend -- and there was horrible turbulence -- and he was fine in just a seatbelt. (He didn't even notice the turbulence.)

hillview
06-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I would. I like having DS in the seat to sleep. He is BIG (40 lbs/40 inches) and just 3. We were in France last month and going to Italy next month and he will be in his seat. We've had to fly short flights without carseats (Alitalia) and I prefer him in a seat for sleeping and knowing he has to stay put.
/hillary