PDA

View Full Version : 3 Carseats in Car - Need a 3rd Row?

twinsplustoddler
06-21-2008, 01:39 PM
We're going to need to have 2 infant seats + a convertible carseat. I would like to not have to buy a new car, but my current car doesn't have a 3rd row (it is an SUV though). Did anyone do it? I did a trial installation and it seems like the 3 seats fit, but it's VERY TIGHT. If I need a new car, I have to get it in the next 2 months or so, so please let me know what your experience has been. (BTW, I realize that when the twins move to a convertible seat and I have 3 Britax seats, I will not be able to fit them all in a row so I will have to get a minivan or something at some point in the next year, but we're trying to put it off until DH's lease is up next spring if poss.)

bubbaray
06-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmm, if you had the "right" convertible seats, it might actually be easier with convertibles than infant seats with bases. The Radian is really narrow and "puzzles" well with some other seats b/c it sits low and most other seats are higher.

What car do you have and what seats? What ages of children? Is your oldest FFg or RFg? I'm thinking 2 RFg Radians and a FFg Radian might work fine -- especially if you are able to fit 2 infants seats and a Britax convertible in there now. Tight is OK as long as each installation is secure.

ETA: Sorry, I keep seeing carseat posts under "new posts" and reply to them, thinking they are in carseats -- if you post over in Carseats, you'll get more replies than here. HTH

abh5e8
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Hmm, if you had the "right" convertible seats, it might actually be easier with convertibles than infant seats with bases. The Radian is really narrow and "puzzles" well with some other seats b/c it sits low and most other seats are higher.

What car do you have and what seats? What ages of children? Is your oldest FFg or RFg? I'm thinking 2 RFg Radians and a FFg Radian might work fine -- especially if you are able to fit 2 infants seats and a Britax convertible in there now. Tight is OK as long as each installation is secure.

ETA: Sorry, I keep seeing carseat posts under "new posts" and reply to them, thinking they are in carseats -- if you post over in Carseats, you'll get more replies than here. HTH

no twins here, but wanted to add i can easily fit 3 radians across the back seat of my 4runner. (its an SUV with no 3rd row). new seats would be much cheaper than a new car :) the radian has very short straps, so you can use it from birth with a term baby. not sure how big your twins will be, but you might even be able to just keep them in the buckets for now (tight isn't bad as long as each seat is solid) and then get 2 radians for later. they should fit RF on either side of the britax, if not...just get a third radian. HTH!

KrisM
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
No twins and no SUV, but I have 3 seats in my Malibu. I have a RF Britax BV, a FF Radian, and a Chicco KeyFit30. I can also fit a FF BV or another FF Radian in place of the Chicco.

For me, it was a matter of spending an hour at BRU trying out various combinations until I found what worked. Because of the 60/40 split of the back seat, I can only get them in in particular positions, but it does work.

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
2 MA's and one Radian fit in my CR-V :) joy, joy!

Kindra178
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
This is my same dilemma. We have a rearfacing BV and will have two safeseats. They technically fit, but I don't know how we will do the buckle. I suspect we will be buying a minivan next year also.

twinsplustoddler
07-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I would like to avoid buyign a new car (who wouldn't!?), but am concerned that even if I can fit all the seats in safely, maybe I don't want my 2 yr old able to poke the eyes of the twins!!!! However, I would really like to fit 3 seats in at least for a few months....

As far as the Radian goes, I have never heard of that seat before. Is it just as safe, etc. as the Britax?

DallasTwinMommy
07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Take a look at the Radian 80 by Sunshine Kids. It is extremely safe, has very high ratings, and easily fits 3 in a row. The only comparable seat is a Britax Regent, but there is no way of fitting 3 in a row - they are just too bulky. The Radian 80 is also easy to transport (although heavy, but that it is because it is made with a steel alloy frame, unlike plastic frames that most are made of). You will not be disappointed.

KrisM
07-09-2008, 05:59 PM
The Radian is very nice. Comfy. Lasts harnessed to 65lbs. It can be more difficult to install than a Britax, but after some practice, it's not terrible.

The Radian 80 isn't necessarily worth the money, since the straps don't go any higher than the Radian 65. Most kids will outgrow it by height well before 80 lbs.

You can order from Target and return for free to a store.

You might be surprised at what you can fit. I can't do 3 Radians FFing, but can do 2 Radians and a Boulevard. I can get a FF Radian and a RF Boulevard and a Chicco Keyfit in, but only with the Keyfit behind the driver. It's odd, but things just puzzle together in different ways.

Seats can be tight together, so long as they aren't using one another to make themselves secure. To check, install the middle seat and then the 2 outboards. Then, remove the middle seat. If the ones outboard are still in tightly, you're fine.

sarahbrown29
07-12-2008, 03:20 PM
a FF Radian and 2 Snugrides w/ bases fit three across in the new CRV (tried it at the dealer.) Also, a RF Roundabout + RF Safety 1st Uptown fit side by side in our 2002 Accord. I think we could fit the FF Radian in the outboard too (just haven't tried it.)

We had trouble fitting the 2 infant seats with even the Radian in our Accord or 98 Volvo. If we hadn't gotten the Odyssey, we would have done: infant seat + base, FF Radian, infant seat w/o base.

Keep trying! You will find something that works :)

h23
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
a FF Radian and 2 Snugrides w/ bases fit three across in the new CRV (tried it at the dealer.)

I'm confused (or an idiot!) as we purchased two Graco Snugrides and went car shopping to test them out, but we had a hard time fitting in the base with seat attached and not eating the dashboard on both front row seats!! Since we didn't really "install" them into the cars on the lot, I'm wondering if we can will gain any room once the bases are truly installed?...anyone?

THANKS!!!

(corrected for typos & clarity!)

Kindra178
07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
See my post in the carseat forum. We can't do it in the Pilot - the safeseat is too long and my husband would physically not be able to drive with his seat that close.

WatchingThemGrow
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm confused (or an idiot!) as we purchased two Graco Snugrides and went car shopping to test them out, but we had a hard time fitting in the base with seat attached and not eating the dashboard on both front row seats!! Since we didn't really "install" them into the cars on the lot, I'm wondering if we can will gain any room once the bases are truly installed?...anyone?

THANKS!!!

(corrected for typos & clarity!)

Ok, now I haven't tried the Snugride(s) with my 05 CR-V and 2 more seats, just with a MA and a SR...

BUT...the back seat on my car has some movement options. Not sure if it the bottom (I think), but def. the back of the seat (I'm certain), so that me be where the issue is. With the seat pushed back a bit (again, the seat bottom, I believe), we can have more room in the cabin and less room in the trunk. HTH

h23
07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks! I just can't believe car manufacturers (especially suv's or crossovers) don't think about this!

tbeskildsen
07-23-2008, 08:17 AM
We gave in and bought the minivan. My husband is our at-home parent, so it was a huge ordeal. We put three across in our SUV for a week, with our 2 yr old in the middle to test it out before the twins arrive and my husband gave up. He said it was so difficult to get our son in and out.

We laugh every time we walk to a parking lot and look around for the minivan and think back to the days where we drove a honda s2000 around! But, it is so easy to get in and out of and our son loves it.