PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to haul twins around?

la mama
06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm due to have b/g twins Sept. 12 and I'm wondering what I'll actually need to haul them around until next spring. We have two Graco infant car seats which I'm sure will work fine. I'm wondering if I need the Graco tandem double stroller, which we already got at a shower, or if I should return that and buy a side-by-side jogger for when they're big enough in the spring. I'm also wondering about baby carriers. My sister lent me two that she didn't really use, not even sure what brands they are. What works when you have twins? How do I get from the house to the car to my final destination (i.e. play group, mall, anywhere)?

Papa Joe
06-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Get a Baby Trend Snap & Go double that will work with Graco Snugrides (if that is what you have. You may be able to find one on Craigslist, or preferably, if you can find one, a Double Decker Stroller that will take your car seats. You can probably get almost 5-6 months out of it.

Next, you will need a stroller once you cannot use the carseats and the Baby Trend anymore. In most cases, you can probably get by wonderfully with the Baby Jogger City Mini or the Baby Planet Unity Sport Double, although the BP is difficult to fold. The Zooper Tango might also be an option.

Another possibility, based on your needs would be to have an all-terrain stroller/commuting stroller. You could get something like the Baby Jogger City double, Mountain Buggy double, or my favorite, the Valco Trimode double. Any of these strollers will work for walking in parks, streets, etc., and you can probably get one of them used at a good price, especially a Mountain Buggy. Your only challenges with these is that they are wide and difficult to maneuver in tight spaces such as city stores, elevators, etcl., they may not fit in your vehicle, and they are heavy. You will have to evaluate where you shop, walk, etc., and see if it would be practical.

Lastly, you may want to have a light-weight, every day stroller. The Baby Jogger Mini would be perfect for this, or you may want a Maclaren Twin Techno, Rally Twin or Triumph or a Peg Perego Aria Twin. If you have an opportunity go and try these out. I wouldn't recommend the Combi Twin Savvy.

On a budget, I would look at a Graco Duoglider or Duorider coupled with a Jeep Wrangler Twinsport Double, although even on a tight budget, you should be able to find a better quality stroller used, especially since you have some time to look while twins are in Snap & Go.

I would also checkout the Peg Perego Duette

Good luck and enjoy. My BG twins are due in about 6 weeks!

gatorsmom
06-21-2008, 02:35 PM
My b/g twins are 7 months old now. I agree that for the beginning you will need a Double Snap and Go. A used one would work fine but if you can't find used, they are on Target.com.

Once they outgrow the Double SNG, you will need another stroller. Papa Joe mentioned some great al-terrain strollers like the Mountain Buggy Urban Double and the Valco, but don't forget the Adventure Buggy Company Twin Everest. It will accommodate a toddler seat on top OR a double toddler seat. Another excellent stroller.

But you might not even need one of those. You might only need something like a double umbrella stroller (like a Maclaren, etc). If I were you, I'd wait to buy until you need it. Stroller change so often that they are constantly adding new features. There might be something better out there by the time you need it (this has happend to me twice now).

As for carriers, I'd post on that particular board. There are a lot of moms there who are very knowledgeable. There is only one wrap that I know of that could accommodate twins (the Moby Wrap) which I have and love, but I don't know much about the other ones. hth

ETA- the Moby Wrap will only accommodate twins for the first 6 weeks for fullterm twins maybe longer for preemies. Then you can only carry one at a time.

mamaoftwins
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Yep, agree with the PPs on the Double Snap n' Go. We got a Graco Duoglider LX (LX version is the mid-version) to go with our SnugRide carseats, and while I do love the stroller, the only drawback we have found is it's wicked heavy! I still use it for shopping and such b/c the basket is huge, but we just got a side-by-side (Combi Twin Sport-really like it so far!) and I anticipate using that for walks, trips to the zoo, pretty much anywhere that doesn't require a huge basket! If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Double Snap n' Go instead of the Graco, and then buy an umbrella-style double stroller or a double jogger later like we just did.

To get from the house to the car, etc., I still just keep them in their infant seats and pop the seats out, carrying one baby at a time in. We leave the infant seats in the house and also put them in there to take them out to the car.

For baby carriers, I didn't use one for both kids, so no experience there. Both DH & I have Baby Bjorn carriers (the more expensive one with the lumbar support, the name is escaping me), and I don't love them, and honestly wouldn't have bought them for myself - got them as a gift. We've only used them a handful of times, and really, we've used them just to use them, not out of necessity. So, we've gotten by without carriers for the most part.

I also would wait to by a side-by-side stroller until you absolutely need one. I would also guess that to be around 6mos - when the kids start sitting up with help or are sitting up completely, whichever you prefer. I started putting them in the stroller without the carseats when they were about 5mos old (just starting to sit up propped), but until around 7mos, I'd still use the seats if I were just running into the bank or something very quick like that, b/c it's faster to just pop the seats in the stroller.

Hope this helps!!

Edited: typos.

The Review Mommy
06-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Congrats on the TWINS!! :) Mine are 10 months old today.

I also agree that you need to get yourself the double snap n go. It was the only thing I used for the first 8 months. I couldnt imagine getting around in anything else, I loved it and cried when I had to start looking for a double stroller.

I bought a Skip Hop Duo Double (diaper bag) that I attached to the snap n go handle bars and it also fits on double SBS strollers. I was able to fold the stroller easily with the diaper bag still attached many times when I was toting the twins from place to place. I would seriously think about getting one. I was able to free up the stroller basket! They have them on clearence on the website because they have a new design. You can also check for factory seconds. I LOVE this diaper bag! I dont own another. It fits everything! I like the nice open design and use the tote straps and front pockets.
http://www.skiphop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SH&Category_Code=CLRN&&Product_Code=162000

Take back the stroller you have TODAY and dont even think about another stroller, you have enough to think about right now. I was so glad I did especially since I would have choosen a very different double "pretwins" lol! I ended up getting the Inglesina Twin-never would have imagined getting a front to back but I loved the snap n go set up so much it is absolutley perfect for us. I dont recomend it for everyone. You can see my photos of it being used on Amazon. Bought it practically new for $225 off craigslist! :)
http://www.amazon.com/Inglesina-Domino-Twin-Stroller/dp/B000F1OFMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1214321603&sr=1-1

I bought an actual twin carrier per recomendation from the Baby Bargains book. It was a nightmare!!! Should have checked the other twin forum and sites. I used a ring sling made by Zolo Wear. I usually had one twin in it and held the other. I only used it for a short time. Once they could sit up and crawl they wanted to play and didnt want to be held all that much unless they were eating/snuggling up to go to sleep in the rocker.
http://www.doubleblessings.com/servlet/Detail?no=250

Any other questions? Ask away! :)

novmber
07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
lots of great suggestions here!!

i think the snap and go is great - it is SO easy and light to pull in and out of the car - and easy and light is good when you are first getting out with the twins. i agree with PP about waiting to get another stroller until your twins grow out of the snap and go. the decisions you make then might be quite different than right now!

i ended up splurging on a Baby Jogger City Classic Double after having a combi savvy - my general advice to twin moms now after my experience is start with a snap and go and then splurge on something with air filled tires that swivel so that you can really get around.

for carriers - i really like the Ergo but i don't think you can carry both in the Ergo.

lizajane
08-02-2008, 11:47 PM
ok, i totally don't belong here... :) but i do actually have a helpful piece of information. at least, i think. my friend with twins (now 1 year old) carries one on the back and one on the front. she usually uses an ergo on the back and a mei tai on the front. when they were smaller, she used two pouch slings, one on each side. so she wears two carriers, one for each baby. they are all very comfortable and happy!!! and she has HOT legs from carrying those babies around all the time!!! (she does not use strollers. except when jogging.)

aggies2000
11-07-2008, 02:01 AM
As for carriers, I used a Moby Wrap in the beginning. I did put the twins both in there at the same time, but I only did it a handful of times. I liked it because they felt so close to me. This one is hard to use when you are outside of your house because the piece of fabric is so long, it hits the dirty floor when you are trying to put it on. There are a lot of different positions you can put the baby in with this one.

I also have the Ergo which is so quick to put on it's great. Just a few clicks on the baby is in. This one also can be used on the hip and on the back.

caheinz
11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Ditto on the Snap'n'Go and Moby. I'm finding that I can settle the twins faster in the Moby than the stroller, especially if I know stalling will be involved (like when picking DS1 up from preschool). They're something over 7lbs apiece now, and I can carry both in the Moby for a short while right now.

For the future, I have my eye on a Beco Butterfly for the back carrier. I saw one IRL yesterday, and the great part about it is that you can completely buckle the kid into the carrier before you put it on. (I already have a mei tai, which will be the front carrier.)

The Double Snap-N-Go is a great first twin stroller. No need to take the babies out of the seats, and a great big basket underneath! It's huge, but surprisingly nimble -- I was able to navigate through a line that was snaking back and forth with guide ropes with it!