PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Panda

mytwosons
06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Corie's siggy jogged my memory!

For those that have seen it, what age do you feel it's appropriate for? I was going to take the kids, but then saw it was PG-13. Plus, my youngest had no interest from the commercial. But, I really want to see it! :D

What did you think?

blisstwins
06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Definitely over 4. My twins saw it with DH and they were terrified.

mama2g03
06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I checked the movie's website and it says PG. I took my four and a half year old and he loved it. He went back the following weekend with DH and saw it again. I thought it was very cute and had a good message - believe in yourself and work hard and you can accomplish things you didn't think you could. There were some fighting scenes - I mean it is Kung Fu Panda after all - but I didn't think it was inappropriate.

MelissaTC
06-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Depends on your kid. My DS is almost 6 and loved it. I could have taken him 2 years ago to see it though- he is not easily frightened. We liked the movie.

smzapalac
06-21-2008, 09:05 PM
My DH took my 3 yo and she enjoyed it. My DH said it is a lot like Shrek, so she didn't get any of the more adult-type humor. But, she got a kick out of the cartoon animals and liked eating popcorn in a movie theater.

StantonHyde
06-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Took both kids--3 and 5.5. They loved it. DS (older) really liked it. If you are a fan of kung fu movies, I think are lots of references to old movies. I am not--but there were 2 guys sitting behind me and they were cracking up at certain moments so I think you had to know other kung fu movies to get it. I liked it alot and will probably take the kids again since it is over 90 freaking degrees this weekend and we need to do something cool.

smilequeen
06-21-2008, 11:03 PM
My 3.5 year old loved it. There are a few parts where some kids might get a bit scared, but overall it's appropriate.

Twin Mom
06-22-2008, 12:08 AM
BTW, it's actually rated PG, not PG-13 which are not the same. I was concerned about it being PG b/c my twins class was going to see it on a field trip (they're the youngest in the class.) Fortunately my mom took my niece (4) and nephew (7) and she thought it was fine. I read online the reason it's rated PG is b/c of the martial arts. One of my friends who usually falls asleep in kids movies liked it too so I'm kind of bummed I didn't see it.

s7714
06-22-2008, 12:29 AM
It's definitely a PG movie and not PG-13! You had me going for a second there though, questioning what the heck was possibly in that movie to make it PG-13! :D

We took our 3 and 5 year olds. My 5 year old liked it, but I don't think she "got" the majority of the plot details other than the good guys were fighting a bad guy, iykwim. All the morality stuff was over her head. My 3 year old was bored after the first 30 minutes or so and spent the rest of the movie being coerced into staying seated. I think she probably would have been bored after only the first couple minutes really, if it hadn't been for the popcorn.

mytwosons
06-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the reviews! I think we'll give it a try.

I have no idea why I typed PG-13 when I know it's PG! ooops!

lizajane
06-22-2008, 12:12 PM
my three year old is afraid of movie theaters and this movie changed his mind!! he can't WAIT to go back to the movies!!! he LOVED IT. and so did his 5 year old brother.

g-mama
06-22-2008, 12:20 PM
My 4 and 7 year olds loved this movie. They talked about it so much afterwards that now my 2 year old calls all pandas "Kung Fu Pandas."

We went to the zoo last week and he kept yelling "Mama look! I see Kung Fu Panda!!" It was so cute!

DDowning
06-22-2008, 03:00 PM
My 5 year old was fine - the 3 year old was bored out of her mind and fell asleep. How, I don't know, because it was sooo loud!

They are both looking really forward to Wall-E though!