PDA

View Full Version : I'm struggling with our new Frontiers, so frustrated

melissel
06-22-2008, 02:35 AM
I bought two new Frontiers, hoping to keep my tall almost-6-year-old in a harness. I measured and measured, and it turns out that when she's actually in the seat, her shoulders are just at the level of the harness slots in their top position :( I knew we were cutting it close but thought I'd have another inch or two. Gah!

Anyway, we switched it into the booster position. Now it's nearly impossible to buckle her in because the two seats are so close together. Am I allowed to scooch them each over like, half an inch so I can get my hand in between to buckle? I'm not sure if that's even feasible, technically--whether the tethers will allow any scooching--but if it is, can I do it?

Also, when we run the shoulder belt through the red fixture at the shoulder level, the belt doesn't slide freely through it. It snags and pulls and twists, and tonight (the first real test of the seat), when DD leaned forward, the belt remained completely slack after she sat back. Now, I'm assuming that's not supposed to happen? We have a Kia Sedona with a shorter middle bench, and she's in the position that puts her about a foot away from the belt, leaving space for passengers to enter the third row behind her. Is it possible that that gap is somehow messing up the position of the shoulder belt sliding through the holder on the seat?

Ugh, I'm so frustrated that we spent so much money on something that's ending up so problematic. I'm contemplating reselling this and buying a Graco or something. Should I do that instead? DH has a Graco Turbobooster in his car and she loves it, and he says it's been problem-free.

TIA!

Melissa

Joolsplus2
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh wow, I'm so sorry she doesn't fit harnessed! My dd's got an 18.5 inch torso and is just moving into size 10-12 shirts and she still just barely fits in the harness :(
And yeah, boosters in that 'middle of the van' position are usually a pain :(. Is the seat pink? Maybe you could just switch it out and let your older kiddo sit in it in the back and try the Turbo in the middle of the van?

The FR does not need to be LATCHed in booster mode, they say to unLATCH it if it interferes with buckling...so maybe undoing it would be a big help? Couldn't hurt to try that, first.