PDA

View Full Version : Latch- am I an idiot?

kk
06-22-2008, 09:59 AM
we're expecting #4 in July. I took out all of the car seats and washed the covers and reinstalled, plus installed the safeseat1 for the baby. I tried to use latch with all of them (except the Radian 65 because the children that use it are 40# plus and if I am reading the instructions correctly, I need to use the seatbelts/tether). I couldn't get a decent install with any of them using Latch. However, my seatbelt installs were rock solid.

Is this the experience of others? Or am I lacking in latch skills?

seats are safeseat1, graco cargo, and scenera. Cars are 2005 sienna and Infiniti FX 35.

Joolsplus2
06-22-2008, 10:06 AM
It's probably just what you're used to :). I can't imagine why the SS1 wouldn't have worked, but I always preferred the seatbelt with mine, anyway, lol. (Honestly? Those seats all have the cheaper LATCH belt types that are NOT easier than belts in most cases. The more expensive push-on LATCH buckles on belts with two tightening straps, like Britax has, ARE usually easier than seatbelts. I'm not saying those are bad seats, but they've gotten away with the cheapest possible solution, not the best/easiest solution, know what I mean?).
Remember to always, always top tether a forward facing seat, with seatbelt or LATCH :)

Binkandabee
06-23-2008, 04:47 PM
This has been my experience, too. DH and I drive the exact same vehicles except for the year. His is a 1999 (no latch) and mine is a 2001 (with latch). I always get a better, tighter install in his truck than mine. In fact, yesterday I just installed our safeseat in my truck with the seatbelt after seeing how well it is installed in DH's with just the seatbelt.