PDA

View Full Version : Wipeable "rug" for under kitchen table

almostmom
06-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Our eating area looks much better with a rug of some sort, and we have had a jute rug for a few years, but it's pretty nasty, with food and drink spilling on it often.
I was thinking that some sort of "rug" that was wipeable would be perfect. Like the mats some people have in front of their sink - they are basically a layer of plastic with a design on top of some foam. Anyone ever heard of these in a larger format, like 5x8 or something?

Thanks!

nupe
06-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Have you considered an outdoor friendly rug that can be hosed down? We have something like this for outdoors under the table on the deck.

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=2004&department=3057&search_type=category&search_value=3040&cm_val=&cm_pos=&cur_index=1&cm_type=&pcode=1438

geochick
06-22-2008, 05:27 PM
We have a synthetic (poly?) rug that looks like wool under our kitchen table. I Scotch Guard it every 6 months. It looks as good as new (it's 3 years old) and I have 2 small kids. Seriously. Scotch Guard stops everything!

Happy 2B mommy
06-23-2008, 12:55 AM
When we were looking for a house I saw a really clever idea at one of the houses we were interested in. Under the table was a handpainted 'rug'. It was painted with stencils. It looked really cool. Our realtor was a friend of the seller and when she saw me looking at it she lifted it up and showed me what it was -- a large piece of vinyl flooring that was upside down!

almostmom
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
that is a great suggestion - I did buy a cheap ikea jute rug for now (I had to get rid of the old one), and I'll get some spray for it.

the back of vinyl flooring - also a neat idea - thanks!

almostmom
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I love plow and hearth - I'll check those out too--

thanks!