PDA

View Full Version : So, I finally went to one of *those* b-day parties

Melanie
06-22-2008, 05:54 PM
you know, the kind you've all spoke about. The Please-No-Gifts-bring-a-donation-for-xyz kind where you respect their wishes and see the majority of everyone else showing up with armloads of gifts anyway.

Ugh.

We left before cake, but I'm hoping for the sake of the others' who respected their wishes they didn't do a gift-opening.

And to think I felt a little hesitation at bringing the b-day boy a card with a sheet of stickers in it!

bubbaray
06-22-2008, 05:59 PM
See, that's my hesitation with even going that route. Its just ripe for problems, IMO.

Don't feel bad for doing what they wanted!

icunurse
06-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Honestly, if that was my party and my request, I wouldn't open gifts until everyone was gone and I would make a point of how the gifts of toys/clothes/whatever will be greatly appreciated by the families at xyz shelter. You did what they asked, nothing to feel badly about.

niccig
06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Same thing happened here. I turn up with my target bags full of school supplies to be donated to a charity for children in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I tried to not feel embarrassed when I put my target bags beside the gifts. I mentioned something to the mum, and she said that I had done what she wanted. She we did do the right thing.

niccig
06-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Same thing happened here. I turn up with my target bags full of school supplies to be donated to a charity for children in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I tried to not feel embarrassed when I put my target bags beside the gifts. I mentioned something to the mum, and she said that I had done what she wanted. So, we did do the right thing.

emmiem
06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
That happened to me last year at a party. I was the only one who didn't bring a gift as requested. I pulled the mother aside and said that i hope you don't open gifts. She replied that she didn't want her son not to have any gifts so she only put that request on half the invitations.
Michele

ShanaMama
06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
That happened to me last year at a party. I was the only one who didn't bring a gift as requested. I pulled the mother aside and said that i hope you don't open gifts. She replied that she didn't want her son not to have any gifts so she only put that request on half the invitations.
Michele

OMG! Way to make half your guests feel like idiots! I can't believe that.

tiapam
06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Michele

That is idiotic. How did she choose which invites to put it on? If she wanted him to have *some* gifts then she should have provided those herself instead of asking half the people not to bring them.

bubbaray
06-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Michele

Niiiice. I can't believe that! People are so freakin' weird.

randomkid
06-22-2008, 09:44 PM
If she wanted him to have *some* gifts then she should have provided those herself instead of asking half the people not to bring them.

That's what we did. We requested no gifts, but most did bring gifts. I had a few things for DD and knew my parents had gifts and that was going to be it. However, when I said to my friends, "thank you, but you really didn't have to bring anything", they all said they wanted to. I think most people just like buying something cute or fun. I REALLY didn't want more gifts, but didn't mind because I know it was out of affection for DD.

To OP, don't feel bad at all! I was very happy with the guests that didn't bring gifts - we have enough junk around here already!

Globetrotter
06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
She replied that she didn't want her son not to have any gifts so she only put that request on half the invitations.
Michele

:shake:

that is just wrong!

We have done the no gifts or charity thing but the kids always get gifts from the family, plus some people can't resist buying them. I could never imagine assigning gift givers!! It depends on the crowd, but at least 2/3 of the people seem to comply with the request.

Kris

Happy 2B mommy
06-23-2008, 12:16 AM
For DD's 1st b-day we did a 'donate a book'. Only her godparents brought gifts and we opened them later.

You did the right thing by following the parents' request.

Melanie
06-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Michele

WHAT?! Oh that is a new one! So, did she pick the people she'd thought would bring the gifts she liked the most? That is one of the more bizarre things that I have heard!

MMEand1
06-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Same thing happened here. I turn up with my target bags full of school supplies to be donated to a charity for children in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I tried to not feel embarrassed when I put my target bags beside the gifts. I mentioned something to the mum, and she said that I had done what she wanted. She we did do the right thing.

Not to get off subject, but I can tell you for a fact that the children in Iraq appreciated those school supplies. I have pictures of Iraqi children with supplies that had been donated. Thank you for helping children that otherwise would not be able to have these things.