PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used Miele that is almost 9 yrs old?

mommyapb
06-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a dyson & am not htat big of a fan. DH simply refuses to spend any more $ on a vacuum. I can probably pick up a used Miele for around 250-300 on ebay but it is 9 yrs old (model s514). People's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Amelia
dd 3/06

pastrygirl
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
How old is your Dyson? I took mine to a vacuum shop after I'd had it for 18 months (I hated it, and thought something might be wrong with it because it was intolerably loud). We asked if he'd take the Dyson for $100 if we bought a Miele. He did, so I got the Miele for $350 or 400 brand new (I can't remember). LOVE IT. I can't say that enough!! I got the red Antares model.

I was also leery of buying another $$$ vacuum since I'd already made a mistake, but it turned out to be worth it.

ETA: Given that I was able to get it new for the price that I did, I wouldn't buy one that old for more than half the original price, especially if I can't see or try it out first.

ThreeofUs
06-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Only if a vacuum shop had checked it out and passed it first, and then I wouldn't pay much for it. 9 years is 9 years.

I like Cristina's solution.

kochh2
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
so you didn't liek the DYsons?? We were considering one... tell more!!!

pastrygirl
06-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm definitely in the minority in the anti-Dyson club! Mine made a very high-pitched piercing sound above the horrendous loudness of the vacuum. My husband couldn't hear it, though. It must've been in that range that men tend to not be able to hear. I don't think the salesman heard it either, or else he would've agreed with me that it was unusable. I needed ear plugs to vacuum if I didn't want to feel like my head was going to split open! My son cried and sobbed whenever I had to vacuum.

He LOVES the Miele and follows me around, even holding onto the hose. He loves to help out!

You can google "silent ringtones" or "mosquito ringtones" to see what I'm talking about. They are at a frequency that some people can't hear, and are awful, awful, awful!

mommyapb
06-24-2008, 12:45 AM
I opted not to buy Miele on ebay. I will be buying on though, just doing more research now & plan to head out to a vacuum store in town.

I will totally hop on the anti-dyson bandwagon...way too loud & quality is not all that great. DH sat next to an engineer who did product testing on a flight a couple months back. In conversation, DH asked the man about different products Dyson being one of them. The guy laughed & said, "Great marketing..that's all it is."

Thanks again BB Mommas!

Amelia
dd 3/06

LisaMom2Allie
06-26-2008, 01:32 AM
I would have a hard time buying a 9 year old vac. especially off ebay but I have a Miele that is close to 6 years old and I LOVE it. I did pay close to 1K for it-it was the Aluminimum(sp?) special edition and has the HEPA filter and carpet powerbar so it was a little more but they are great. They may tell you to bring it in for a service once a year and you might think it is all sales pitch/gimmick(I did) but mine stopped sucking things up good and I took it in for a service and it is good as new-had to have a belt replaced that stretches out with time. THey are seriously the Mercedes of Vacs.

cimberdog
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't buy a used 9-year old Miele off e-bay....

But I am curious - I have a Dyson and it's outperformed any other vacuum I've had, and have heard of the Miele brand before. But they are SO expensive! What makes them worth it? (I've got to start prepping my sales pitch for DH) :)