PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica during early pregnancy?

AmyZ
06-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Just wondering if anyone has btdt. I am almost 12 weeks along with DC #3, and I have been having intermitten bouts of sciatica. Yesterday it got so bad that I was completely 'stuck' in my DD's room and my DH had to carry me to my bed because I couldn't walk at all. Either I have shooting pain, or my leg feels like it is going to collapse under me.

I've found some exercises online to try, but wondering if anyone else has any good ideas? I'm going to put in a call to my OB.

Thanks so much!

brittone2
06-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Seek out a physical therapist that specializes in pregnancy care. Ask your doc for a referral.

Even in early pregnancy, there are hormonal changes that cause ligaments to become more lax (which allows the pelvis to be able to open more). That laxity results in instability of your sacroiliac joint and may contribute to sciatica.

I had sciatica with both pregnancies. I hope you can get some relief soon!

elliput
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I have had sciatica while pg and not pg, so I understand! :hug: Something I do to help is before I get out of bed in the morning, I make sure I am lying flat on my back with my legs extended. Then, one leg at a time and fairly slowly, I bring my knee as close to my chest as possible, drop the knee to the outside, straighten the leg and then swing it back around next to the other leg. You may feel a popping sensation in the butt/hip area. Repeat as many times as you think necessary. Sometimes only one repetition is fine for me, sometimes 4 or 5.

HTH!

o_mom
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Get a PT referral from your OB! The PT can give you exercises to prevent it and show you how to get it 'unstuck' by yourself. It made a huge difference with me for DS1. I went from not being able to walk to fine within a week.

Tondi G
06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I went to my Chiropractor when I had a bad bout of sciatica during pregnancy.... fixed me right up!

I would suggest a Chiropractor or a Physical therapist or an acupuncturist!

kmak
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I had this BAD during with my first. It started early too. By the end it was unbearable. My OB referred my to a PT. It helped. What helped the most was acupunture! Even my chiropractor (which I love) didn't help much.

urquie
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
i started having sciatic pain a few months ago and one treatment of cranial sacral therapy took care of my sciatic pain. baby is due today and i haven't had any more episodes :)

nupe
06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
helped me a lot. Don't remember which specific moves though.

eliasmom
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I had it - mine was due to the hormally-altered loose joints - it was excruciating. I went to a great physical therapist and it helped tremendously.

Hope you get some relief soon!