PDA

View Full Version : Double/Single? Which?

sassafrassdc
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm totally at a loss for what to do here, so am very open to suggestion.

DS #1 is 3.75 y.o. and ~38 lbs and 42 inches. DS #2 is 13 months and ~20 lbs and ~32 inches.

DH killed the last of our strollers this weekend (by piling two kids in a cruddy old jogging stroller), so I need something now, but we're moving to London in October, so I need to think ahead about smaller spaces for storage, a smaller car, and lightweight for using public transport, etc.

If I were to go for some kind of double stroller, which?

-- Joovy Caboose seems to have a max height of 40 inches for the stander, so we're over that.
-- Phil and Ted's Sport(?) seems potentially ok, but doesn't fold well and requires a large trunk?
-- Maclaren side-by-sides? Hard to push? and too wide for London? But fold small.
-- Or go with a single that takes a buggy board that, um, doesn't suck?

Others?

If we go for a single (assuming that DS2 rides on my back in my Calyx/Kozy/Ergo/Wrap ; ), thoughts something easy to push a big kid in, but that folds up small? Or one that takes a buggy board that is still pleasant to push?

Thanks in advance!

Jess
(in Washington, D.C. for the moment)

abh5e8
06-23-2008, 09:08 PM
hmm...thats tough. my dd is almost the same age as your dc #2, so i am not speaking completely from experience as i dont' have an older dc.

what about a mac quest? super easy to push, folds small, light weight, relatively inexpensive. you can let dc #1 ride and carry #2 or let dc1 walk and push dc2. i just cant imagine that you would get much use out of a double.

or, if you plan to walk a lot i would go for the P&T, because when your older dc wants to walk all the time, you can use it as just a single.

i have been reading lots of double stroller posts as we are expecting in nov, so they will be about 20 months apart.

gl...hope you find something that works well!

cmmama
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a 3.25 year old and an infant and don't feel like I really need a traditional double

eldest still likes to stroll, so I did get a double all terrain for exercise purposes. DH is frequently out of town and I'd lose my mind without my power walks.
I got a narrow one, so I could use it through doorways and for all-day outings at the zoo, amusement parks, or on the rare instance I found myself in a "need-a-true-double" situation. However, the double all-terrains tend to be massive, not what you'll need for in and out of a small trunk.

Most of the time I use a single with a board so that eldest can ride when he gets tired or when I need him to move faster. (My board goes on an Urbe, which is a good big kid umbrella stroller, btw, which also gives me the option of carrying youngest and pushing eldest.)

Lots of single strollers have built in toddler boards, so that might be an option.

I wanted to love the phil and teds, so that I didn't have to hang onto my single all terrain, but found that eldest was way too big for it.

FWIW, I have a girlfriend in Belgium, she says buggyboards are the thing over. there. There are so many cool European strollers, that I might consider trying to make do until october (borrow a stroller or hit the thrift stores) and wait 'till I got to London to buy a new one.

If you decide you do want a true double before you move, you might look into the Baby Jogger City Mini. Most folks who own them, love them and they seem to me like they'd be more versatile than your side by side umbrella style stroller.

good luck!

bubbaray
06-23-2008, 11:37 PM
P3 for the toddler step.