PDA

View Full Version : Car seat for vacation & sometimes at home

portland pines
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I really appreciate any advice that you have... I'm getting a little nuts doing online research!! Ok, a LOT nuts!

THE KIDS: Our son just turned 4 last week, but he's a pretty big boy (44 lbs, 3'6"). Our daughter will be 1 next month and she's a biggun, too (25 lbs, 29").

THE SEATS: At home, we use a Britax Regent (btw, I don't see anyone mentioning this seat on these sites... is this still considered a really good seat?). DD is in a Britax Marathon.

THE PROBLEM: I can't drag 2 Britax seats through the airport! We're taking a 3hr flight, then we're renting a car (not for a long drive, just to get around town once we arrive). I suppose DS is large enough to fly without a seat, but we'll need something for the car once we arrive. Also, for DD we have a Cosco Regal Ride (used it with DS when he was little).

THE QUESTION(S): Is there a seat you can recommend for DS for the trip and as a backup seat when we're home? The Cosco Regal Ride feels so small and light (guess I'm used to the hulking Britax seats) - is it really safe enough for the flight and car while we're gone?

ANY help or advice would be sooooooooooo much appreciated!! :cheerleader1:

mom2binsd
06-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Ya..the Regent is still good...it's just the new Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier have taken over..high harness weights and they turn into boosters and FAA approved (the Regent doesn't have booster capabilities or FAA approval).

Tough one...your son is still pretty young to be in a booster in a vehicle..he's fine for the plane...so not sure what to say about him as you'll need something for him at your destination...if the Regal Ride fits your daughter and it sounds like it does I'd use it...it's fine on the plane and in the vehicle..yes it feels flimsy compared to the Britax seats but safe.

Do you need another seat??? Can you justify buying another seat...do you have a seat for a second car...if so then maybe look at the above Frontier or Nautilus...it would still mean bringing two seats through the airport (I would just hate to check a seat as luggage....they lose so much stuff!)

chays
06-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I use the Safeguard Go for that very thing. It is light and has a high harness weight. My son is almost 5 and weighs almost 50 pounds. I think he's probably a little taller than your son, but I LOVE THE SEAT for travel. You just can't use it on the plane, it goes in the overhead bin.
Cheryl

stillplayswithbarbies
06-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Does your son still fit in the Marathon or the Regal Ride? The Regent is not allowed to be used on the plane, but the others are. If they fit in them I would take the Marathon and Regal Ride and use them on the plane and in the rental car.

If he doesn't fit in those, I would take the Marathon for your daughter and get a booster seat for him. Is he mature enough to sit still and not reach for toys and not fall asleep and not try to move the seatbelt?

portland pines
06-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks, everyone! I suppose that I can't really justify buying another car seat when we already have what we need - DD will be in the Cosco Regal Ride and DS will use the Marathon (the one DD regularly uses in my car). The more I read and think about it, the more I want DS to be in a 5 point harness (forever!!). :) I think I got temporarily swept up with the ease of a lightweight booster (esp the folding kind!). Sigh... we're going to look like pack-mules no matter what we do, right?!