PDA

View Full Version : MarathonTrouble! :(

The Review Mommy
06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

I purchased (2) Marathons for my 10 month old twins less then a month ago, manufacture date is June 2008. Maybe I'm spoiled buy the "smooth as butter" harness in my Chicco Keyfits but the harness is difficult to adjust. I have found a way to make it a bit easier on me by pulling the thigh area first, then pulling on the tail end of the harness to try to get a snug fit. Seems like its that last bit of pull where it starts to get IMPOSSIBLE. I feel like I could do a bit more-its always a struggle and I dont always have the time or Man power to strugle with it. It came out of the box this way...I thought maybe it was because it was new? Anyway, I noticed today as I was getting my DD in that the harness is already FRAYING! Both of them are affected and I dont know how the Marathon is going to last me the YEARS that I need it too. Is it just my car seats or is the Marathon a PITA to adjust? Please help, what should I do? If I buy a new harness wont it keep happening because it feels like its catching on something?

TIA!
Rebekah

MrsZaz
06-23-2008, 09:35 PM
We have had our Marathon for 4 years now and the buckles are not fraying at all. Maybe the buckles are getting caught on something in the back when you try and tighten them. We just bought a Regent for our 6 yr old (DS 4 has the marathon now). I didn't realize how easy it was to tighten the Marathon until I got the Regent. Now THAT is a PITA to tighten.

Try re-threading the straps through the back and see if that helps.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Colleen

KAK22
06-23-2008, 09:48 PM
The MA has a very different harness adjuster, it's a tug, tug, tug motion. I rarely loosen DDs harness unless I've simply tightened it too much and can't get her in there anymore. :)

As for the fraying, is it the harness adjuster? Ours have done that and if you call Britax they will send you a new one since it's still under warranty. They will tell you to make sure and only pull straight up, but ours still fray. I ordered a few spares and just change them out as needed.

Joolsplus2
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
You aren't alone, people have had this issue with the Marathon since day one (used to be we compared it to the Roundabout's adjuster... the Key Fit and the Roundabout have THE nicest adjusters EVER--why they can't be like that on all seats stumps me, but what do I know?--) And yeah, you have to just be really careful not to pull to the side when you adjust the MA at all :(

The Review Mommy
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Thank you so much Jools! I feel a bit better about it now although I'm a bit mift that I hadnt heard about this problem before. Please reasure me that the Marathon was the way to go because now I'm lusting after the Roundabout! I was so used to the keyfits easy one pull-there now its perfect harness! Next time you see those Britax poeple give 'em hell for me ok? You should be on their design staff or something...seriously! :)

OT Question-Friend has the Diplomat and the straps are constantly twisting. She reaches through the back of the seat to fiddle witht them constantly. Would the Huggs thingy help? Can you use that with a britax seat that doesnt come with them?

My SIL is a traveler so I think I will suggest a Roundabout for her. Her 14 month old DD is very short (shorter then my 10 month old twins) and only weighs 17lbs. She was EBF. She is still using the keyfit and I know she is probebly going to ask about the Roundabout not including harness pads. Can she buy those separetly from Britax to use with the Rounabout?