PDA

View Full Version : Would a Joovy Caboose Ultralight work for us? *YES!!-UPDATE*

newmomto1
06-23-2008, 09:36 PM
DD is 18 mos, about 24 lbs & DS is 4 1/2 & almost 40 lbs.

Has anyone used this stroller with an older DC?
I had a Sit & Stand that I sold because it was a PITA (too big & bulky for me), plus it seemed like I hardly ever used it.

But, last weekend we took the kids to a trendy area for lunch & then walked around for awhile. DS was complaining & tired.

I ended up having him stand on the step on the back of my P3. It was a bit awkward & I am wondering if this new Joovy would be a worthwhile investment for us (being that DS is almost 5???).

What do you guys think???

Christyscmh
06-24-2008, 08:10 AM
I'll be honest, the ultralite gets it's name from being 10 lbs. lighter than the original caboose, but it's still has the same bulkiness to it. It's almost identical in measurements to the regular caboose. If you sold that because it was too big and/or bulky, you may have the same problem here. If you decide to go that route though, try to find a retailer with it in stock so you can put your hands on it before buying it. Hope this helps!

newmomto1
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I'll be honest, the ultralite gets it's name from being 10 lbs. lighter than the original caboose, but it's still has the same bulkiness to it. It's almost identical in measurements to the regular caboose. If you sold that because it was too big and/or bulky, you may have the same problem here. If you decide to go that route though, try to find a retailer with it in stock so you can put your hands on it before buying it. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info.
Actually, what I had before was the Babytrend S&S, not the Joovy.
Thanks!

hlphillips2
06-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I am debating the sit n stand vs caboose, so all I know is the bulky factor from trying them in stores. I personally found the sit n stand to be bulkier. It was a touch too long for me and tough to manauver. I didn't have that problem with the joovy, although they were at different stores and different surfaces which could have contributed to the challenges. If you have an opportunity to try a Caboose in the store and see if your DS likes to sit on it (my DD has excitedly jumped on the back everytime we've taken a test run) that might help you decide. According to the dimensions online, the sit n stand appears to be a smaller stroller than Caboose when folded - so you may want to make sure it will fit in your car as well.

newmomto1
06-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I have called all over & there is no place to try the caboose locally :(
I would order one online, but I am nervous that DS may be too big. He is almost 40 lbs. I need to measure him to see how tall he is b/c I don't have a clue.

cmmama
06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
my ds is 40lb 40 inches and I thought he fit just fine in the ultralight jump seat when we tried it out, even though technically he's at the upper end of the weight and height limit.

You might take into consideration the weight of the main rider in considering how much weight, overall, you'll be pushing.

The ultralight is a big/long fold, but it doesn't at all feel like an awkward push to me. I didn't mind pushing it with only one child in it. Whereas I agree with the PP who thought the sit-n-stand simply felt too bulky.

the ultralight and the original have about the same dimensions (the difference is in the weight) and many babies r us still have the originals in stock if you're close to one and want to try the push and see how your older DC fits the jump seat.

good luck!

newmomto1
06-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Well. I went ahead & ordered one even though DS is 38 lbs & about 41-42" tall.
I hope he fits in it well enough to get through our trip & a couple other things we have planned for the summer. If not, guess I'll sell it.
Eeks...hope it works out!

newmomto1
06-28-2008, 12:38 AM
My Caboose UL arrived today.
I assembled it & put the kids in & was amazed to see there was enough room for DS!!
The front seat is smaller than I anticipated though.
It seems like DD's legs are already too long (they go past the footboard).
She was very happy in it though & seemed comfy!
I am not crazy about the green color. I LOVED the look of the black one on line...but, I figured since I am getting this for outdoor summer activities, black would be a bad idea.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with my diaper bag since it will be in DS's way if I hang it from the handlebar......

hlphillips2
06-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm glad it worked for you! Out of curiousity, how well is your DS strapped in with the jump seat? I think I've seen that there's a strap, but it is something they can easily wiggle out of?

newmomto1
06-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm glad it worked for you! Out of curiousity, how well is your DS strapped in with the jump seat? I think I've seen that there's a strap, but it is something they can easily wiggle out of?

I didn't even try the jump seat straps.
DS really doesn't need to be strapped in (he's 4 1/2).
He is not one that needs to be restrained, he stays right with us if he gets up.
I got this stroller more so that he can rest if he gets tired of walking.

BillK
06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Glad you like it - we just got the Camo version and my wife LOVES it too.