PDA

View Full Version : travel potty seat...

JGib
06-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey folks,

I am going to start potty training my DS soon. I want to get a portable/foldable potty seat for public restrooms. Any suggestions? Seems the couple I have looked at online have many folks complain that they don't work with oblong toilets, which seem to be what most public toilets are around here.

melissaflorida
06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I bought disposable potty seat covers. They hung over the edge of the seat so their hands don't touch anything. Then you just throw them away.

I never liked the travel potty seats, with all the germs on the seats I had to sanitize it everytime before putting it back in my bag. It was not convenient at all.

The ones I used are called Potty Toppers. http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Disposable-Potty-Seat-c.html

I also used these which offer more protection than a thin cover. http://www.grandmadot.com/

HTH,

Melissa

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2008, 09:25 AM
We've gotten away without having a travel seat topper by just keeping a little Bjorn potty in the back of our small SUV. DD uses it before/after our trip away from the car, and I clean everything up very easily. Not sure if this solution will last forever, but it sure does keep me from having to drag both DC into a public restroom often.

overcome
06-24-2008, 09:48 AM
We've gotten away without having a travel seat topper by just keeping a little Bjorn potty in the back of our small SUV. DD uses it before/after our trip away from the car, and I clean everything up very easily. Not sure if this solution will last forever, but it sure does keep me from having to drag both DC into a public restroom often.

I've been wondering about this....Jon & Kate +8 do this too...my question is this...what do you do with the contents of the potty once they use it?

sunriseiz
06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I've been wondering about this....Jon & Kate +8 do this too...my question is this...what do you do with the contents of the potty once they use it?

We've done this on long trips and I put a diaper or maxi pad in the bag covering the potty bowl and tied it up until I could dispose of it. I have some ziplocs in case there's a poopy. :)

For public toilets, we used the toppers like the pp mentioned.

Good luck!

JGib
06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't think I can deal with the potty in the back of the car thing. I need something that my DS won't feel like he is going to fall in...I think the disposable toppers won't work because of that reason (feeling like he is going to fall in).

Any other suggestions?

bubbaray
06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
We did the potty seat in the back of the van until DD#1 pooped in it. We were using plastic bags and still, ugh, gross (and we clean up our dog's poop in bags). We figured it was important that she learn how to use public bathrooms, so we got a folding potty seat (Graco IIRC) and some Dora toilet toppers (BRU?). The Dora ones are more popular now, but at first, the folding seat worked better.

melissaflorida
06-24-2008, 08:43 PM
This might work for you. http://www.grandmadot.com/

~Melissa

JGib
06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh! Those Zeets look cool!! Wish they weren't so expensive. Well, they are not obnoxiously expensive, so I might buy some if my DS starts to look like he is going to potty train anytime soon. If they were half the $12.99 for 5, then I don't think I would blink about getting some. Thanks so much for that option!!

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2008, 03:02 PM

At first I was using leftover diaper doublers in a plastic bag, then throwing everything away in the bag. Now, she's going right in the potty, and I dump the contents in a grassy strip nearby. I use the tp to dry it, a (toxic) Clorox wipe to clean it and antibacterial wipes on my hands and hers. No poop in the car potty yet. Yikes.

rbsmom
07-08-2008, 12:15 AM
I also have my DD potty in the minivan using the Cool Gear Travel Potty :

http://store.babycenter.com/product/safety+-+baby+care/potty+training/potties+-+step+stools/travel+potty.do?asc=false

It uses regular gallon ziploc bags, stores them & a package of wipes, and folds flat w/a carry handle for easy storage/travel. My DH & I joke that we wish we had one so we didn't have to use public restrooms too :)