PDA

View Full Version : BumGenious or Happy Heiny?

Page
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Which do you like better? I just did the trial pkg from Denver Diaper Co. and liked them both, so I'm torn.

I'm mostly referring to AIO or pocket dipes here. I really want to do PFs for cost reasons, but I'm hoping to find some used AIOs or pocket dipes at a good price.

Also, can anyone comment on how each run for fit? I was going to do CD after a couple weeks with DD, but she's now 8 weeks and we're barely getting our act together with it. I got the newborn XS sizes, but now I'm not sure what size to get at 8 wks. And I don't want to get a size DD is on the verge of growing out of. Should I just wait until she fits into the next size up?

As for size, DD is "average". Her thighs aren't super chunky or thin. She was 7 lbs. 10. oz and 18 1/2 in when she was born. Probably around 9 lbs now (guessing...next ped appt. is next week).

And do either have a better selection of prints or colors than the other?

I know everyone has different opinions on what works better for their DC, but I was hoping to get insight from parents who bought either or both of these brands and see what they like better.

TIA for any advice!

american_mama
06-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I have used both diapers and my son is, umm, 9 weeks old? Maybe 10 weeks? You lose track a bit with the third! I also cloth diapered my second child, so have some advice to share.

I like sized diapers better than one-size, especially when a baby is young like yours. I just prefer the trimmer fit, although one-size is definitely a better value, especially if you re-use them with future children.

Also, I have only used the Happy Heiny sized diapers, NOT their one-size, so all the comments below are about their sized diapers.

>> Also, can anyone comment on how each (Happy Heiny and bumGenius one size) run for fit?
I loved Happy Heiny small's on my petite daughter, but thought the medium's were a huge step up in size and hence didn't like them as much. The HH small was still too big for my son when I tried it a few weeks ago, but I bet it would fit now. I loved bumGenius one-size when I used it on my daughter when she about 1 1/2 years old and could fit in either the medium or largest setting. That diaper is just now fitting my average sized son (12.5 pounds, 50% percent in height and weight at his 2 months check up). The bumGenius is still a little big in the rise and somewhat in the waist, so it's not my favorite. I stuff with a preemie or similar prefold; new bumGenius come with a small and a big insert, so you can choose which is better.

>> I'm not sure what size to get at 8 wks.
Get the small's. I'd be surprised if your 8 week old weighs only 9 pounds but whether she does or doesn't, she will grow. When I started CDing my petite daughter at age 3 months and 11 or 12 pounds, I bought only small diapers and they all fit.

>> And do either have a better selection of prints or colors than the other?
Happy Heiny has a better selection of both prints and colors. They are very well known for their super cute print pocket diapers, but be warned that the print fabric is different than the solid and it wicks more easily. Don't use one at night. bumGenius makes only yellow, green, blue, and pink one-size diapers, as I recall.

In general, Happy Heiny is more prone to leaks, in part because the legholes are different (covered in fleece) rather than made with casings (tubes of fabric for the elastic) like the bumGenius. Still, I really loved my small Happy Heiny's for fit and cuteness and then with DD was bigger, I loved bumGenius for fit and reliability. If cuteness or trimness doesn't matter to you, buy bumGenius; otherwise, buy small Happy Heiny know and re-assess when she outgrows them.

Page
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the insight! I'm glad the one single response I got was a helpful one. :)

misshollygolightly
07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm brand-new to the CD scene myself, but my 2 week old boy (who is on the bigger side--8 lbs 15 oz at birth!) fits well in the BumGenius 3.0 one-size. He's too young to be having majorly poopy diapers or to be sleeping through the night, so I'm not sure how well the dipe will hold up in those scenarios, but so far so good!

elephantmeg
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
I've used bum genious on DD when she was that age (and on her big brother too-so funny that they can both wear the diaper) and it worked well. Never used a HH so can't help there.

jyllebean
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
I ran into the same dilemma so I bought both! We did the trial from denver diaper co and ended up with a combo of bg, hh one size pockets, prefolds with thirsties covers and a couple of the tiny tush contours. We use the prefolds for around the house and the pockets for night time (with 2 liners) and naps or outings. We also use the flushable liners which have been great. DD is 17 mos. and we just started CD about 3 mos ago.

I like both the BG and HH one sized pockets. Quality wise I think the BG have held up a little better in the wash and the colors are more vibrant. I also think the velcro on the BG is nicer and the laundry tabs always stay closed where the HH sometimes open in the wash. For sizing, the BG definitely run smaller and I think DD may even grow out of them before she is potty trained. The HH are roomier and may last longer. We did half and half because I couldn't decide and I figured the HH would last until potty trained and maybe we would prefer the BG for our newborn. Hopefully that helps, you probably can't go wrong with either. We bought 4 of each (8 pockets total) and have 3 covers and 10 prefolds. We wash about every 2-3 days and it lasts fine although I'm sure I will have to buy a few more for our next baby as newborns have to be changed more often.

Good luck!

Page
07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
To jyllebean...where did you end of purchasing your dipes? Did you end up buying through Denver Diaper Co.?

I have been on diaperswappers.com for a couple of days trying to get a good deal and it's a little overwhelming. I think I want to buy around the same amount of dipes you listed, but we're really tight on money.

Phiasmom0
07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I use BG's and really like them. I love their inserts. I have a heavy wetter that I had trouble finding something that would hold her floods but they do a good job. I use them in everything. The HH I did not care for I wanted to like but had problems with so I can't help you there. I am not a AIO girl I use the pockets in these. if you need more info feel free to ask but you have a ton of useful info already.

jyllebean
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes I did end up buying from Denver Diaper co. The prices seemed to be the same everywhere and I wanted new diapers bc I hope to use them for my next dc and maybe more. Cust. service was good and shipping was free because I spent over $75. I also had a hard time finding another online store that carried all of the items I wanted ( BG, HH, thirsties covers and prefolds)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Good luck!