PDA

View Full Version : 3 across in a CR-V?

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
We have a 2005 CR-V and 2 MA's, both outboard, one RF, one FF. I'd like to have a 3rd seat to put in between them so I can take a 3rd kid with me from time to time. Is there anything that would fit in between the MA's or could I move one of them to the center (RF?) and put something else outboard? The extra seat could be FF.

I've been trying to search for a previous thread about this, but haven't had any luck. I thought there was one a while back. Googling has gotten me a few sites, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Would a Nautilus work? I was considering getting one for DH's car anyway.

Piglet
06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I posted a link in the other 3-across thread (Honda Fit). There is a CR-V there for sure, but you may need a Radian to get 3-across.

Here is a the message in the thread about a 2003 CRV:

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=312394&postcount=15

KAK22
06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
We have a 2001 CRV, so before the redesign. I can fit a RF MA in the center and either a RF Snugride with base or RF Evenflo Titan outboard passenger side. I'm almost certain I could fit either on the drivers side as well. I don't think anything could fit next to the MA when FF in the center - just from the way it's shaped.

niccig
06-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a 2008 CRV, so the back seat might be different. I got 3 across today, I had Safety First Uptown (small 40lbs seat) center, another unknown 40lb seat passenger outboard and a snugride without base - no difficulties at all.

Yesterday I could get the Safety First Uptown (small 40lbs seat) and a Recaro Como driver side outboard - big wide 65lb seat, I think it's a little wider than a MA- and I *think* I may have been able to get a snugride without base on the either side. I didn't have the infant seat to try out. I had to do all seatbelt installs to get the Como further over towards the door an inch or two.

Based on that, I'm thinking you need a radian or smaller seat in the center. I "think" the radian seats low enough that it goes underneath the arms of the MA. The only problem with the Radian is it can be difficult with a seatbelt install and you need to do that in the center, but apparently it gets easier with practice. It might be fine in a CRV, I haven't tried it.

You didn't mention the possible age/weight/height of other kids. If they fit the requirements, a Ridersave vest or a Safeguard Go might work in the middle. I'm seriously considering a ridersafe vest for the center spot in my car. My friend's son is just under 40lbs, so we could use a smaller seat today. Next time, it'll have to be the Como or the Marathon. Once his younger brother is also out of the snugride, we could have trouble.

If you get something to work, please let us all know.

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all your replies thus far! Marina, I followed that thread earlier and was wowed by the car-seat.org link. It's what got me to post!

After a b-day party this evening, I was able to run into BRU (alone!) to play with the van bench they have in the store. DH took my car home with the DC, so I couldn't actually try them out in the CR-V. I did a MA RF in the center w/LATCH, a MA FF w/belt on one side and the other 2 seats belted. I tried the Nautilus, which seemed like it may work (on that bench), but... they had a Radian 80 in the store. The associates were puzzled as to why it was there as they don't typically carry it. It had been marked down to $251, but I think it could be discounted more with the right manager. It appeared to be used as it had a spill of some sort on the seat - yuk. But, at least I can try it in person and decide from there. Is the 65 very different?

I noticed many of the 3 across configs used Radians. Think that would be my best bet?

Oh, the other DC going with us would be no older than 3, usually in the 1-2 range. My DS would be in the RF MA as he's only 7 mos. now. Anyway, I guess I'll try to get my car over there w/o DC to try out the RN 80 and the GN in the next few days.

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Now, I'm not a CPST, or even THE installer for our family, but I think I did things correctly... Just the BRU associate was watching. No trained personnel checked my installs.

Here's what worked to the best of my knowledge:
1. MA (FF)belt, MA (RF) LATCH, Radian 80 (FF) belt
2. MA (FF)belt, MA (RF) LATCH, RA (FF) belt

Here's what didn't work:
1. MA (FF)belt, MA (RF) LATCH, Nautilus -door wouldn't close
2. MA (FF)belt, MA (RF) LATCH, MA (FF) - SOOOOOO close
Has anyone tried this one? Can anyone else try it. The pass. side seat moved a little bit when the door shut. That's probably not okay, right?
3. MA (FF)belt, RA (RF) ?????, MA (FF)

My question now is with the Roundabout... The LATCH belt seemed REALLY short. It wouldn't fit in the center, RF, period. I extended the straps, but they wouldn't reach the anchors. Is that for real or was this one set up incorrectly? I couldn't get it installed with the belt either. I guess I need to check out carseatdata.org

So, it looks like I could get a Radian that would work fine, or if I can figure out the RA issue, that would also work. I guess I need to evaluate which seat would really work better for our family/friends - the RA or RN.

Piglet
06-26-2008, 12:30 AM
We bought a RN for 3-across because it was SO narrow and also had a long lifespan, so it would be used the longest of all our harnessed seats. If your MAs will expire before you are done with harnesses, then I would get a RN over a RA. I also like the RN for travel since it can be worn as a backpack.

niccig
06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Now, I'm not a CPST, or even THE installer for our family, but I think I did things correctly... Just the BRU associate was watching. No trained personnel checked my installs.

Here's what worked to the best of my knowledge:
1. MA (FF)belt, MA (RF) LATCH, Radian 80 (FF) belt
2. MA (FF)belt, MA (RF) LATCH, RA (FF) belt

Were you installing the center seat with Latch in a 2005 CRV? I don't think you can use LATCH in the center for that year model. I know you can for the 2007 and 2008 years (I have a 2008), but in those models one of the center anchors is borrowed from the passenger side LATCH, and that positions the center seat over into the space for the passenger seat.

WatchingThemGrow
06-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Were you installing the center seat with Latch in a 2005 CRV? I don't think you can use LATCH in the center for that year model. I know you can for the 2007 and 2008 years (I have a 2008), but in those models one of the center anchors is borrowed from the passenger side LATCH, and that positions the center seat over into the space for the passenger seat.

So after calling several supposed "authorities," I finally called Honda to ask. The real Honda offices, not the salespeople :) After a 15 minute consultation with someone(??) the woman said that it would be fine to use those anchors, but to have a CPST do the installation to make sure it is okay. When I originally installed it, the belts/straps didn't cross at all, and the RF MA doesn't seem to bother the RN 80.

Oh, I picked up the RN80 for $228 by begging for an extra discount at BRU. Can't decide if I should return it and buy the RN65 online for less since we won't likely be using it RF/for an infant/any huge kids.

niccig
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
So after calling several supposed "authorities," I finally called Honda to ask. The real Honda offices, not the salespeople :) After a 15 minute consultation with someone(??) the woman said that it would be fine to use those anchors, but to have a CPST do the installation to make sure it is okay. When I originally installed it, the belts/straps didn't cross at all, and the RF MA doesn't seem to bother the RN 80.

I hope Jools or another tech chimes in on this. My understanding is that you have to go by the car manual. If it doesn't say LATCH allowed for center then you can't use it. There's also a LATCH manual that Safekids puts out - details lower and upper anchor points for all cars. I would definitely talk to a tech about it. You don't want your child to be a test dummy for LATCH in the center. We incorrectly used the outboard anchors for the center in our subaru, so I know it's an easy mistake to make.

If you can't use LATCH, several people have posted on car-seat.org about radian install with seatbelt in the center, so it seems to work in that position.

WatchingThemGrow
06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it! I'm taking the car and all the seats to the FD tomorrow morning to have them check it out, and I plan on taking it to a different one on Wed. to get another perspective, just in case :) I did see the car-seat.org picture with the Radian in the middle, but I haven't tried that. They used the belt in the middle also, which I haven't tried. The 2003 might have a different belt than the 2005. It is an interesting one. I promise I'll play by the rules. Thanks for your help!

WatchingThemGrow
06-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok, how about this? The Radian manual says only use LATCH if the seat has its OWN anchors - so we belted it in the middle and secured the RF and FF MA's with LATCH outboard. It's pretty squished back there, but it looks good. We'll see what the techs say IRL. Thanks niccig for your help!

I'd like to try it with a SafeSeat at some point (like the pic referenced earlier), which might encourage me to move up into a SS and ditch the Snugride we've used for 5 mos. with our first 2 long babies.

ETA: This comes at a good time b/c one of my dear friends will be having brain surgery soon. I'll be caring for her child during part of that time. So glad I could come here for advice, before it is "must" situation and I'm scrambling to fit a 3rd seat in there.

niccig
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Let us know about the Radian in the center - was it difficult to get in? I ask because I have a 2008 CRV, and I may need to do 3 across one day.