PDA

View Full Version : Natural/organic hand sanitizer?

Emmas Mom
06-25-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm really trying to get away from the anti bacterial hand sanitizers with the triclosan and/or alcohol & am looking for a natural/organic alternative. With two little girls who have both had MRSA I definitely want to carry something for times we can't get to a bathroom with soap & water. Does anyone have some ideas for me?? Links would be most appreciated.

lisams
06-25-2008, 01:21 AM
We tried the Cleanwell hand sanitizer and it was OK - it left a herbal/medicine kind of scent which I didn't love. http://www.cleanwelltoday.com/ I found it at Target. I've really cut back on using hand sanitizer in general - I used to be a little OCD with it.

lizajane
06-25-2008, 08:10 AM
i saw something at trader joe's with tea tree oil in it. maybe you could find a recipe online for something with natural oils?

brittone2
06-25-2008, 08:59 AM
During flu season I keep a little foaming pump dispenser in the diaper bag with distilled water, vinegar, and a few drops of essential oil like TTO. The vinegar smell goes away after a few seconds. This mix doesn't actually foam or anything but the bottle works well.

MarisaSF
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I love the Cleanwell stuff. I also use nabywipes for on the go hand cleaning.

happy2bamom
06-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Burt's Bees has a hand sanitizer that smells pretty good.

C99
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
There is some discussion on this on a local "green" blog I read. Be sure to check out the comments as well.

http://www.lgpshow.org/blog/2008/jun/5/killer-hand-cleaner/

Emmas Mom
06-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Burt's Bees has a hand sanitizer that smells pretty good.

Is this it?

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=169451&catid=10210

I like the portability & the fact that it's a spray. I wonder if the alcohol is much of an issue?

I'm also going to check out Target & Whole Foods. I'm trying not to be so OCD but I really get anxious when were out at the gym or at playgrounds, etc & I can't get them to a bathroom. I was a complete germophobe with DD#1, slacked WAY off until after DD#2 was born & they both ended up with staph infections (at different times). I try not to freak out & say colds build their immune systems, which I know they do, but I hate that they've both gotten staph ....DD#1 has had it about 7x & DD#2 has had it twice now. :(

m448
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM
alcohol is not the same as triclosan so I have no issue with using purell (just the basic kind) as a little hook on type for my purse.

Emmas Mom
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
alcohol is not the same as triclosan so I have no issue with using purell (just the basic kind) as a little hook on type for my purse.

I thought I read somewhere that you had to be very careful with alcohol since it can be absorbed into their system so easily? I'm assuming then that such small amounts, like in Purell, are ok?

citymama
06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Another vote for Clean Well! It is a San Francisco area business run by two dads, and I'm happy to support it.

MontrealMum
07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
During flu season I keep a little foaming pump dispenser in the diaper bag with distilled water, vinegar, and a few drops of essential oil like TTO. The vinegar smell goes away after a few seconds. This mix doesn't actually foam or anything but the bottle works well.

What are the ratios you use for this, of vinegar to water?

brittone2
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't follow a recipe. I probably use 3/4 of a small foaming pump bottle (w/ cap) full of distilled water and 1/4 vinegar, with a few drops of essential oil. No guarantees, but for me, it is a happy medium between chemical disinfecting products and doing nothing.

fivi2
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I must admit that I am in the wash when we get home camp, but could you make home made wipes and carry those in a ziploc or other bag? Use the wipes for hands and faces etc. There are a ton of recipes for those. Good luck!

Piglet
07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

It is not about absorption - it is about ingestion. Alcohol based Purell-type sanitizers are safe if used correctly (adult supervision). They only present a problem if ingested, but so do all the "natural" remedies (i.e. TTO, etc.). My attitude is to keep Purell in the car and use it for quick hand washing while on the go. At home, we never use it - good old fashioned hand washing all the way!