PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training DS - scared?

JGib
06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi there! I just started trying to potty train my DS who is about to be 2 yrs 8 months. He'll sit on the "potty chair" fine, but never went in the potty even though he had ample time. One 'session' he actually sat there for 45 minutes...nothing! I started out putting him in cloth training pants and I would set him on the potty every 15 - 30 minutes for at least 5 minutes (usually more). I have books for him to look at while he is sitting there...he loves his books, so he didn't fuss or cry to get off at all. He went pee in the the training pants twice and it didn't bother him at all (ie. feeling the wetness). Did that Monday morning and he never went in the potty. I put diapers back on him for his nap and just left diapers on the rest of the day, but would still take him to the potty to sit. My hubby worked at home yesterday. He saw DS squatting like he was about to 'make a deposit' in his diaper, so he took DS to sit on the potty chair. DS just cried and cried. We could tell he needed to go poop, but was holding it in. We kept telling him it was ok to go potty on the potty chair, but he just cried and cried. We tried to give him his books to look at, but he just cried. I felt so bad for him. Verbally, he couldn't tell us what the deal was (ie. he thought he would get in trouble if he went, he didn't know what would happen, etc.) We're trying to figure out why he wouldn't go when he obviously needed to do so bady. We thought maybe since the bathtub is right next to it, that he thought he would get in trouble since he has in the past for going potty while IN the bathtub.

Anybody else experience this? Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of to try is maybe take him to half bath that has no bathing facilities to see if he would go. Oh, I've been taking him into the bathroom with me since he was a little over a year old so he could see me on the potty chair and I would tell him I was going potty.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

sunriseiz
06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I think pooping in the potty must be scary. DD had the same reaction. DH finally caught her mid-poop and got her to finish in the potty and after much crying she was very proud. It took a few more attempts before there were no tears.

Best wishes!