PDA

View Full Version : Brown Spots - What to do?

ThreeofUs
06-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi, All--

I was unpacking baby clothes this morning, trying to figure out what I had, what I needed, and what I was donating, and got an unpleasant surprise.

Brown spots, all over 0-12 mo clothes I *know* I had packed away washed and clean.

So I feel really stupid. Somehow I didn't get out the proteins from breast milk - is that right?

If so, what can I use to get out the stains - or do I need to go out and buy all over again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

s7714
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
There's been threads on this over in Kid's Wear so you might want to do a search there. (I myself posted a similar question when I went to take some baby clothing out of storage for DD #2! ;) )

If I remember right, a lot of people suggested (if the clothing could take it) making a solution of boiling water and powdered OxyClean to put on the spots. I instead just cranked up the water heater, filled the washer with water as hot as it could get, dissolved a mega amount of OxyClean in it and let the stuff soak overnight. The stains came out on many things, but on a number they didn't.

It's annoying I know! Made me really question just how effective my washer is at getting things clean! I honestly didn't care too much if some of the stuff still had stains as I figured it would be worn out after #2 was done with it anyway.

Ceepa
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Totally normal to pull out packed baby clothes and find "mystery stains" from sugars and dirt that darken and appear over time even after you washed everything before storing.

Do an Oxiclean soak overnight in hot, hot water. Repeat the soak if you need to before drying. But be aware that very delicate or heirloom pieces shouldn't be subjected to this treatment.

Also drying clothes in the sun is a great natural way to get them brighter.

ThreeofUs
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
There's been threads on this over in Kid's Wear so you might want to do a search there.
You know, I did do a search over there, but didn't find any matches. Maybe I was using the quotes incorrectly or maybe I should have widened the forums.... *sigh* This is just how my day is going.

I'll try the Oxiclean soak - thank you so much, Ceepa and Jenn.

If it ruins the clothes, I'm going to buy HA! :)

s7714
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
You know, I did do a search over there, but didn't find any matches. Maybe I was using the quotes incorrectly or maybe I should have widened the forums.... *sigh* This is just how my day is going.

I'll try the Oxiclean soak - thank you so much, Ceepa and Jenn.

If it ruins the clothes, I'm going to buy HA! :)

Don't feel bad. I'll sit here searching for things sometimes that I *know* I saw posted and can't find them just because I can't remember exact enough wording (or worse I find too many to dig though!)

FWIW, here's a link to my old thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153437