PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ nighttime toddler cding!

tylersmama
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
DS is in prefolds and covers, and they serve us very well most of the time. My problem is that he's a very heavy wetter at night. I've been double diapering (premium prefolds) AND putting one or two inserts in as well. This makes for a seriously bulky dipe, which my covers don't even fully cover. It's so bulky in front that the prefolds are pretty much open to the air at the top, which results in wet pj's in the morning. I don't know what else to do. Obviously, I could just move up to a bigger size cover, but I hate how bulky it is (DS waddles when he's in this get-up!).

What options do I have? Would a wool soaker help? I've steered clear of wool thus far because of the price and because I'm scared of caring for it, but I would probably only need 2, maybe 3, I'm guessing, so I'm willing to suck it up if it will help. Any other inserts that might do the trick? I'm currently using a combo of plain inserts, fuzzibunz micro doublers, and hempbabies doublers.

Help my child to stop looking like he has a giant crotch tumor, please! :loveeyes:

uptooearly
06-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, I used prefolds exclusively for about the first 5 months of cloth diapering, and at that time, I had to use wool at night -- pul covers wouldn't keep in the wetness for me. Don't be afraid of wool! Wool breathes and it is actually really easy to care for!

If you're unsure about plunking down the money on a wool cover, I would check out diaper swappers and see if you can find something used to try out. As far as brands, the Aristocrat I had is really great for night time! It's really thick and it has a long folded waistband will take care of the gap at the waist you are dealing with.

Other ideas if you don't want to pay for wool-- Some mammas rave about using interlock fleece covers for night time. And fleece covers are much more affordable than wool! You could also try a pocket diaper. And lastly, there are also some 'fancy' night time fitteds you could try-- Firefly diapers (fireflydiapers.com) and Very Baby (verybaby.com) both have night time fitted dipes that are supposed to be good.

I hope you find something that works for you and your little one!

Sonja

Joolsplus2
06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I use Snap-EZ polar fleece pockets, and Large Ducky Bunz (but a good solid Hemp Insert of any kind would work...I don't love the Snap-EZ soakers at all, though) for Leah for night, and so far (4? months now, and sometimes I leave them on way too long in the morning, they still don't leak). I got one off diaperswappers to try it out first and loved it before I bought new, too.

tylersmama
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the input, ladies. I decided to take the plunge and ordered two aristocrat soakers last night (and eucalan wool wash, and snappis since I don't use them, and a couple of large covers to try them out, and some more hemp doublers, and and and ;)). I will let you know how I like the wool soakers!