PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who Pray

Christyscmh
06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
In today's fast-paced world, especially all of us mommies, it's hard to find time to breathe some day's much less get anything else done. I have been trying to rekindle a habit of prayer as my life seems less hectic, more peaceful, and hopeful when I do. In any case, I have attempted to pray in the morning over my early cup of coffee, as well as in the evenings before bed. During these attempts I find my thoughts going off on tangents, either to the days tasks, or recapping the days tasks, etc. Sometimes in the evenings, I'll even fall asleep before I finish praying. In addition, I sometimes forget the most important prayers.

I have thought about keeping sort of a prayer journal, either to go by or simply to keep up with in hopes that my written prayers would be heard just the same as if I had spoken the words. And, if written down, I always remember the things and people I feel are most important to include in my prayers. Sadly, this evening, I even thought about keeping this journal online (humorously similar to Bruce Almighty's "post-it prayer emails.")

Does this sound like a reasonable alternative to today's busy lifestyle or are my ideas outlandish, unorthodox and therefore, unacceptable when it comes to something so sacred? What do you think?

elizabethkott
06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I think any way you are able to find the time and the way to connect with whatever higher power you connect with is a good thing. :)
Some of us worship in the mornings, while we drive to work, on a coffee break, before dinner, before bed... some of us only worship when in times of great stress, sadness or need. IMHO, and going against my very strong Catholic upbringing, I have come to terms with making what I choose to do on a personal level be okay for me. I don't judge others' form of worship; I consider it a private one-on-one session, so to speak. :D
And I have great hope and faith that the higher power understands, and appreciates my individualism.
So *I*, for one, give you the go ahead, with big thumbs up to do whatever you want to do in the way of worship.

MamaMolly
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I think a prayer journal is a lovely idea. Writing things down helps me to focus my thoughts, and I think it will help to clarify what you are praying about. I also think it would be a wonderful record of life's ups and downs. I say buy yourself a pretty little book and go for it!

gatorsmom
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I've heard of people doing prayer journals before. Actually, it's an excellent idea. I come up with some excellent ideas when I pray. I've noticed that if I don't write them down, I tend to forget them. I wish I had the strength at the end of the day to do more than collapse into bed.

I"m a devout Catholic (or try to be) so take this fwiw. I was told that a visionary in Medjugorje asked Mary the same question you asked about falling asleep when he prayed at night. He said Mary responded that it's ok to fall asleep praying- because you tend to wake up the next day thinking of Jesus! Kind of nice way to think about something that would ordinarily make one feel guilty. :)

AngelaS
06-26-2008, 07:21 AM
I had a prayer journal in college that someone gave me as a gift. I could keep track of 'urgent' things and then other things to pray for were divided up by days. It was kind of cool, but sometimes overwhelming.

I also like to pray thru the Psalms, the ones that praise God. They're often better written than what I can do. ;)

I think writing down what you're praying for, even if you don't hit on each item every day is a good idea. Writing down how God answers is even better. :)

I like to think of prayer as a conversation w/a wonderful friend. There's no guilt if I forget to tell Him something. He already knows anyway. ;)

KBecks
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think there are really wrong ways to pray. There are many ways and different styles work for different people Do what works for you, try some of your ideas and see how it goes, you can always adjust.

veronica
06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I think that it is a great idea. I have always prayed in the evenings but since life with 2 little ones has gotten so crazy, I too seem to trail my thoughts now. DH and I always do prayers outloud with DD before bed. She too, at 2 1/2, recites the "Our Father" with us and it is my favorite moment of each day. I find when I close her door, it is easier for me to just pause in the hallway and continue my prayers then, with a big smile on my face.

crayonblue
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I think you have great ideas! :)

In our previous house, we had a large dry erase white board on the back of our bedroom door. We put things we wanted to pray about on there so we were reminded many times per day. And, if someone asked us to pray for them, we put their request on the door (sometimes in code if it was a private matter). I need to find that board! When we moved, we put most of our things in the basement extra room, packed up, since we have to move again at some point.

I have never kept up with a prayer journal but I think it is a fabulous idea. Plus, it would be super faith-building to put the prayer and the date it was answered!

Christyscmh
07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Such great ideas - Thank you all!!:)

Babywhite
07-15-2008, 11:36 PM
After having DD, I found that I was falling asleep while praying on most nights. As time past, I read several books about prayer. One of them discussed doing continuous prayer throughout the day. I thought on this for a period of time. I knew that it couldn't mean that we would prayer continuously for 24 hrs each day...but what did it exactly mean.

After more reading, I realized that the general idea is to talk to God throughout your day...

For example...
As we get ready to leave for school, etc. -- we pray for God to keep us safe as we travel. When we arrive at our destination, we thank God for getting us there safely.

When there is a storm, we pray to God to keep us, our home, and family/friends safe. When it is over, we thank him for doing it.

That type of thing...

This has helped my DD learn to pray.
The other day she asked me what I was praying for in the car...I hated to admit to her that I was not praying...but trying to remember the grocery list. :)

But... when we arrived home the other week after a hail storm, I heard DD thank God for helping us to get home w/o being hurt... :) Now that touches a Mom's heart! :)

Now when I fall asleep at night while praying, I can deal with it easier b/c I've been praying the entire day. :)