PDA

View Full Version : FF Car Seat in a Porsche Cayman?

LexyLou
06-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I know this is an odd question but my next door neighbor (55 year old mother of two grown kids) and Ella have a very special relationship. Ella always goes over to play with her and she just asked today if she could take her out just the two of them sometimes.

She has a Porsche Caymen, which is obviously a two seater. I did check to make sure she can turn the airbags off on the passenger side and she can, but I wasn't sure about installing a carseat.

Would this be a problem? Is there somewhere I can check to see what carseats are best in it?

Ella is 2 years 9 months and 39 inches tall and 33 lbs. She has a Marathon but I was thinking of getting the Graco Nautilus for our travel/spare seat.

Which would be better in the Porsche or is it foolish to let her ride in it?

bubbaray
06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Can't help you with the Porsche, but SKIP the Graco ComfortSport. Super low top slots, PITA to install. Seriously, I have no freakin' idea why the Fields recommend that seat. It sucks.

LexyLou
06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh, duh, I'm so stupid. I meant the Nautilus. I have no idea why I wrote comfortsport...going to edit now.

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
So I consulted with some of my expert friends... they all agreed 'no' to riding in the front seat (there's a lot of worry in the technical community that we may not be able to trust airbag deactivation sensors, and it would be aimed right at your kiddo's head, which would obviously be bad).

Two things: Yes, the Nautilus is a fantastic backup seat!

and... how about letting your neighbor just drive your car when she takes your kiddo out? I'm sure she could understand you guys have the same goal of keeping your kiddo safe and happy and it would be a reasonable solution.

Good luck!

LexyLou
06-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Thank you! I was kind of already leaning toward not riding in it, but I wanted to check because 1) It's really nice of my neighbor to offer to take Ella out and 2) It would be pretty fun for Ella to ride in a Porsche but obviously, her safety is #2.

I will definitely ask her to drive my car although I'm sure my 4Runner would not be something nearly as fun for her drive, lol. Or I can see if on days she wants Ella her husband can take the porsche and leave his sedan with 4 doors and latch in the back seat.

Thanks for the reassurance on the Nautilus too.

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Typo strikes again, unless her safety really is #2 :ROTFLMAO:

Yeah, a nice safe sedan sounds like a fine option :)

luvmypeanut
06-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I called the police station when DH first got his Mercedes SL to ask about the car seat law and they said something along the lines of "oh yeah, it's no problem. Just turn off the air bag and make sure they're in a car seat." But that didn't sit well with me so his car is off limits to the kids. We kept my dad's car after he passed away for the times we have to take the kids separately somewhere.

LexyLou
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
LOL! Yes, her safety is #1 not #2. HA!