PDA

View Full Version : Over 40lbs and need a new seat!

Tracey
06-27-2008, 12:40 AM
My five year old is over the weight limit for Grandma's carseat. We have Marathons in our cars, so we still have time. Grandma may be picking DD up from kindergarten next year if I return to work. Her seat could be seeing daily use and she's not the best driver. I am willing to "splurge" on carseats, so I am not trying to economize and will buy the seat for Grandma. I'd like to get a seat that will last. Should I get:

1. Sunshine Kids Monterey
2. Sunshine Radian 80
3. Graco Nautilus
4. Britax Frontier
5. Something else

Thanks for any info!

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Depends on if you want to keep her harnessed or not? Frontier and Nautilus are best for that (much taller top slots than the Radian), but Monterey is the best dedicated booster of the bunch right now. Compass Deluxe or Premier (B510) are also great boosters, very easy to buckle, which is a plus for a newbie booster user.

Tracey
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
It's best to keep them in a harness as long as possible, right? At what age do you think it is impractical to expect a child to be in the five point harness...7, 8? I imagine she'll be 10 or more years old before she reaches 80lbs. In your opinion, is the added safety substantial. I'm sure we'd all be safer in five point harnesses like the cockpit of a f-14. I'm leaning towards the Frontier, but I'm unsure. I like the Sunshine Monterey, but wonder if I should put off the booster.

Tracey
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
double post

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't think 5 is an unreasonable age to go into a booster part time... my kids have done that, only been harnessed to age 7ish. But you know what? You might want to get a FR(ontier) or GN (Graco Nautilus) for now for grandma, use it harnessed, then put it in your car when the MArathon is outgrown, and get the Monterey (or whatever else is good) next yearish for grandma?